Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

What do AHI, AI and Total AI mean?
RE: What do AHI, AI and Total AI mean?
(09-29-2012, 03:42 PM)TomR1 Wrote: More info:

I set the ramp startuo at 9 the maximum to 11 and thightened the mask down to eliminate leaks. The tight mask was uncomfortable but AHI was 0.6.

What I THINK this tells me is that the apnias were occuring during the ramp or when a leak essentially reduced the pressure. What do you think?
I don,t think the machine record any data during Ramp but could be mistaken
whats the leak?

Post Reply Post Reply
Don't tighten so much it hurts. Even if the leaks are lower and the AHI is better, you're going to be uncomfortable.

As long as the AHI is below 5, the pain isn't worth it.

When the machine is on, and not on ramp, the machine is recording. So if you are awake once ramp finishes, the data won't be accurate. And if you don't take the mask off as soon as you wake up, it will still be recording and that data isn't accurate either. When we are awake, we breathe very differently that when we are asleep.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
If you're leaking too much it doesn't matter what the machine reports as the AHI. The machine can't detect or prevent apneas when the leak rate is too high.

It sounds to me like you need to try a different mask. Equipment providers and insurance companies expect this to happen and so have exchange policies. You should also look into a hybrid mask.

So far it seems to me that if you could get a comfortable mask that doesn't leak your AHI would be nice and low.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
What do you mean by a hybred mask? Examples?

Regards,
Post Reply Post Reply
The Resmed Mirage Liberty is one.

A hybrid mask is one that is part nasal pillow and part full face mask. The nasal pillows go up the nose like usual and the rest of it covers the mouth.

http://www.resmed.com/us/products/mirage...c=patients
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
A hybrid mask has a part that goes over your mouth and another part that goes in your nose. It may be more comfortable for you than a full face mask.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-28-2012, 07:04 PM)TomR1 Wrote: I am a mouth breather and cannot tolerate either a nazel or nazel pillow mask. At 4-12 the mask blows off my face and the leaks wake me up. The Forma mask that I have is supposed to slip under my chin. When it does the mask fits and doesn't leak very much but my nose is uncomfortably squeezed. (Yes i have the large size mask) The Phillips mask is designed to fit under my mouth and above my chin. Also leaks.

I indend to move the ramp starting pressure up. There is a certain logic that says that I am getting apnias after I wake up and reset the ResMed because the ramp starts at 4 and takes 45min to get to max. This is based on a couple of days using my Transcend set at 9. I did not see an increase in apnias.

For some reason the ResScan software won't run on my computer but I can see the report on the machine.

I began cpap with a Forma FFM, but had a very high leak rate. When I switched to a ResMed Quattro FX FFM, my leak rate fell dramatically. If you can persuade your insurer to pay for it, why not give that mask a try? It's also much lighter and I personally found it to be more comfortable than the Forma. That said, we are all different and it may not work as well for you.

Post Reply Post Reply
Turn off ramp unless you simply can't sleep without it. It's much better to start with the proper pressure, and it helps you fit your mask correctly if you start at the right pressure.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-28-2012, 06:00 PM)zonk Wrote: The initials AHI stands for apnea-hypopnea index. The AHI is a hourly total of your obstructive apneas+hypopneas+central apneas. It is a summation of those three (3) items recorded hourly.
How can I separate out the Central apneas from the AHI? In fact, is there a way to read the apneas and the hypopneas and the central apneas all separately?

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-16-2016, 04:49 PM)Bob Difley Wrote:
(09-28-2012, 06:00 PM)zonk Wrote: The initials AHI stands for apnea-hypopnea index. The AHI is a hourly total of your obstructive apneas+hypopneas+central apneas. It is a summation of those three (3) items recorded hourly.
How can I separate out the Central apneas from the AHI? In fact, is there a way to read the apneas and the hypopneas and the central apneas all separately?

The Sleepyhead report will show a pie-chart and detailed chart that shows them separated.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Total machine use hours? milogurd 1 277 02-03-2024, 04:00 PM
Last Post: Nightynite
  F30 Full Face Mask - total failure?? BobH56 20 3,282 12-05-2023, 11:22 AM
Last Post: rhwoe
  DreamMapper - "Total Disconnects" ? StratCat48 1 411 11-27-2023, 09:24 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  AHI total average vs true AHI graphed hourly average Jessher 9 732 10-23-2023, 04:26 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  Hourly AHI vs total AHI for the whole night Martyapnea 4 669 07-29-2023, 08:38 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Total AI vs. Measured AI's Bob Cali 2 519 06-03-2023, 10:53 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Total BIPAP noob consolidated thread Morgannon 3 462 01-24-2023, 02:54 AM
Last Post: Morgannon

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.