Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

What do AHI, AI and Total AI mean?
RE: What do AHI, AI and Total AI mean?
Thanks. I've downloaded the SleepyHead software but haven't executed it yet . I've only been using the ResMed MyAir readings.
Post Reply Post Reply
Doesn't it break it up for you on the screen? That way you can see it each morning without having to go to your computer.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
The figures I got this morning were: AHI 8.2 from main screen. When I enter Sleep Report, under Period - 1 month, I get: AHI 15.2, Total AI 13.8, Central AI 10.4. My AHI on the main screen for the past seven days has been: 8.2, 6.5, 28.1, 11.3, 20.5, 15.4, and 16.3. These readings are by ResMed MyAir software. None of these add up to anything useful.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-17-2016, 12:27 PM)Bob Difley Wrote: The figures I got this morning were: AHI 8.2 from main screen. When I enter Sleep Report, under Period - 1 month, I get: AHI 15.2, Total AI 13.8, Central AI 10.4. My AHI on the main screen for the past seven days has been: 8.2, 6.5, 28.1, 11.3, 20.5, 15.4, and 16.3. These readings are by ResMed MyAir software. None of these add up to anything useful.

I'll try:

1 month average = 15.2 AHI. Total AI = 13.8 and Central AI = 10.4

AHI is (Apneas (both central and obstructive) + Hypopneas) / hours.

So, out of an AI of 13.8, 10.4 were central and that leaves 3.4 obstructive. The other 1.4 is hypopneas.

Someone please check my math and make sure I got the AHI definition correct.

Post Reply Post Reply
KS, you are exactly right.

Bob, in your Sleep Report you can change the period to 1 Day by rotating the knob until Period is highlighted, then push it, rotate again to select 1 Day and click again. This will be more useful than 1 Month as you get used to using SleepyHead. The 1 Month is the default period which is selected when you plug in the machine - or any time you have a power failure.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you KS. for the first time in over a year on CPAP/APAP I understand how to extrapolate the figures. I was concerned since I thought my Obstructive apneas were too high. But this month's average of 3.4 is totally acceptable. Now I have to figure out how to reduce my Central Apneas. Thanks again and thanks to the Apnea Board for this forum.
P. S. Thanks also to pholynyk for the tip on how to reset my figures from monthly to daily. That is a big help in understanding my daily fluctuations.
Post Reply Post Reply
"...in the APAP mode, I would set the bottom at 9 and the top around 12.5-13."

I get too much leak and mouth breathing (on nasal pillows) when my upper pressure is over 10.6. I currently have pressure set at 6 (low) and 10 (high). The result is easier usage (less leakage, less annoying to wife, and less frequent awakening) but with higher AHI (ave. past month of 15.6), most of which is Central apnea (10.6). Do you think that this pressure setting is at an effective level?
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-18-2016, 01:11 PM)Bob Difley Wrote: "...in the APAP mode, I would set the bottom at 9 and the top around 12.5-13."

I get too much leak and mouth breathing (on nasal pillows) when my upper pressure is over 10.6. I currently have pressure set at 6 (low) and 10 (high). The result is easier usage (less leakage, less annoying to wife, and less frequent awakening) but with higher AHI (ave. past month of 15.6), most of which is Central apnea (10.6). Do you think that this pressure setting is at an effective level?

I'll wait for the experts on this... but I think that central apneas are caused by your body not initiating a breath, where obstructive apneas are caused by tissue interfering with a breath. Two completely different things. I'm not sure what increasing pressures will do for centrals.
Post Reply Post Reply
It is going to be very difficult to advise on your mixed apnea situation without seeing some data illustrating what is going on. Please complete the installation of #sleepyhead, and take a look at this tutorial on organizing the charts http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ganization and this one on how to post the images using an image hosting site, Imgur http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...pnea_Board
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
For what it's worth, I haven't used any ramp in many, many years. I found that the ramp just starved me for air until it ran it's course. If you fell compelled to use a ramp, I would suggest resetting it to just a couple of minutes, and setting it higher than 4 for astarting level

TheDuke
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Total machine use hours? milogurd 1 312 02-03-2024, 04:00 PM
Last Post: Nightynite
  F30 Full Face Mask - total failure?? BobH56 20 3,394 12-05-2023, 11:22 AM
Last Post: rhwoe
  DreamMapper - "Total Disconnects" ? StratCat48 1 440 11-27-2023, 09:24 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  AHI total average vs true AHI graphed hourly average Jessher 9 764 10-23-2023, 04:26 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  Hourly AHI vs total AHI for the whole night Martyapnea 4 697 07-29-2023, 08:38 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Total AI vs. Measured AI's Bob Cali 2 540 06-03-2023, 10:53 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Total BIPAP noob consolidated thread Morgannon 3 491 01-24-2023, 02:54 AM
Last Post: Morgannon

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.