Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

What do I do now?
Sad 
What do I do now?
I was just informed from my doc that my insurance will not be covering my oxygen therapy for my central sleep apnea. So by June 19th I have to send my oxygen supplies back or be billed for another month. They say I have to get a CPAP sleep study done before they can determine if I need oxygen. The problem I'm having is I want to do exposure therapy for claustrophobia with the the nasal pillow but to get my face mask and CPAP, I have to go through the study first. I can't go through the study without the therapy first, so I'm kind of hitting a wall. I'm really uncertain what to do other than appeal due to mental illness, which can take months. Any suggestions? Sad
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: What do I do now?
Hmm well, have you asked your doctor about doing exposure therapy? I'm not entirely sure what that is but I assume you have claustrophobia and are thinking the mask might trigger an episode? My GP has a Quattro FFM display that he showed me before I even heard of apnea. I was able to try it on.

In most cases, before you get to do a sleep study, the sleep center does an evaluation. Think of it as going for a consultation at the sleep center. They determine if you really need a sleep study. I'm thinking at that consultation is where you can ask about it.

Sorry it probably is not much help but all I can think of at the moment.
Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Stick it to the man, Download OSCAR and take back control of your data!

Thanks Ian. Like I didn't have enough Honey-Do projects to tackle. Mornincoffee
Post Reply Post Reply
Julrez, do you already have a therapist? If not, get one right away. You will be looking for a "cognitive behavioral" psychologist.

In the mean time, you should check with your doctor or home health provider to get a sample of a mask. Pillows or nasal mask. Then take it to therapy with you. Try it on whenever you can. It is just a step more to deal with than the nasal cannula you are already using for the oxygen. Anyway, it is very possible to make a great deal of progress in a few weeks.

Also, in your shoes, I'd call the insurance company myself, and explain my circumstances.

I am not a clinical psychologist, but a retired researcher in the field. This is not medical advice; just friend ---> friend.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-27-2015, 10:08 AM)julrez9 Wrote: I was just informed from my doc that my insurance will not be covering my oxygen therapy for my central sleep apnea. So by June 19th I have to send my oxygen supplies back or be billed for another month. They say I have to get a CPAP sleep study done before they can determine if I need oxygen. The problem I'm having is I want to do exposure therapy for claustrophobia with the the nasal pillow but to get my face mask and CPAP, I have to go through the study first. I can't go through the study without the therapy first, so I'm kind of hitting a wall. I'm really uncertain what to do other than appeal due to mental illness, which can take months. Any suggestions? Sad

julrez9,
How do you know you have central sleep apnea without a sleep study???

I can relate to your concerns about claustrophobia. When you go for a sleep study, you need to tell them and your Doctor your concerns. They will usually let you try different masks styles to see what you feel most comfortable with.

Let us know what you decide. We are here to help. Wink
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I went through the first sleep study, and then about two weeks later a nurse practitioner called me and told me my results. I have central sleep apnea. I told her about my fears when she said I had to go through a 2nd study for the CPAP, so she prescribed me nocturnal oxygen and Lunesta sleep aide instead. Now she's telling me my insurance will not cover the oxygen unless the 2nd sleep study says I need it. I'm appealing right now.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-28-2015, 11:56 AM)julrez9 Wrote: I went through the first sleep study, and then about two weeks later a nurse practitioner called me and told me my results. I have central sleep apnea. I told her about my fears when she said I had to go through a 2nd study for the CPAP, so she prescribed me nocturnal oxygen and Lunesta sleep aide instead. Now she's telling me my insurance will not cover the oxygen unless the 2nd sleep study says I need it. I'm appealing right now.

Julrez,
Do you think you can try to get through the second part of the sleep study with just the sleep aid? An appeal could take 60 to 90 days to get an answer. Have you asked your doctor to help you with the oxygen; although I'm sure they have guidelines to follow when prescribing oxygen. If you can get through the second part of your sleep study, you will be a step closer to getting the XPAP machine that you apparently need.

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.