Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

What do I have?
What do I have?
Hello,

I am 31 years old and have an odd thing happening when I sleep and am curious if anyone has any insight as to what it is. I inhale through my nose without obstruction or noise when I sleep, but sometimes when I exhale I breath out my mouth very loudly with my lips pursed and it sounds like a horse. My lips vibrate and make a loud noise which disturbs my partner. I did some research and found something about catathrenia, but that is normally holding your breath followed by a long groaning sound. I am breathing in my noise completely fine and then exhaling immediately after very loudly through my mouth with lip vibration. 

Has anyone heard of this? Could this be a symptom of apnea? Or am I just a weird sleeper?

Thanks,

Nathan
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: What do I have?
idk what it is but I used to do it before cpap & my wife who doesn't use cpap but has developed minor apnea also does it. sometimes pfft pfft pfft. sometimes lip flutter. sometimes accompanied by humming or groaning vocalization. idk, but speculate it's a function of some aspect of disordered breathing. my experience is that full on snoring is sure to follow this & vocalized exhales.
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't think it is, more like this is just how you have learned to breath.
I knew a truck driver that did that, not all the time but some of the time.
Sounding like a horse is a good description of the sound.
It didn't do him any harm but it was very annoying!
This was years ago I knew him, but I told him about it.
He said that only one other person had mentioned it, but maybe they had enough drink in them not to notice.
He put a scarf round his mouth to try to stop it, yes it did to a point, but it only stopped his lips vibration and not him breathing out his mouth.

If you don't feel fatigued through the day or show any other symptoms of Sleep Apnea I wouldn't worry about it
There are a few devices around that you put on your teeth and these have a hole where air being breather out can escape, hopefully without vibrating your lips.  They look like a set of false teeth, clear or blue in colour.
No idea if they work or not.
Seen them on Ebay, usually under Sleep Aids and Sleep Apnea products, but they show up everywhere.
You might need to use some sort of denture fixing product to hold them in place during the night.

Worth a try if you show no signs of tiredness during the day.  Only a few dollars.

If you show any signs of Sleep Apnea or excessive tiredness see your doctor.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-29-2020, 01:50 PM)sheepless Wrote: idk what it is but I used to do it before cpap & my wife who doesn't use cpap but has developed minor apnea also does it. sometimes pfft pfft pfft. sometimes lip flutter. sometimes accompanied by humming or groaning vocalization. idk, but speculate it's a function of some aspect of disordered breathing. my experience is that full on snoring is sure to follow this & vocalized exhales.

Interesting, my Mother used to do that now and again, but never developed Sleep Apnea.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
my wife started snoring about 10 years before I noticed any apnea so I'm inclined to associate it more w snoring than apnea.
Post Reply Post Reply
My wife does it occasionally, but only since I convinced her to wear a soft foam cervical collar to stop her from snoring.  She's a 99.9999999999999.....% back sleeper, likes her elbows lifted with throw cushions, and sleeps with at least one pillow, sometimes two if her GERD is especially bad.  So, between the head tilt with chin to chest, and with the collar propping up her lower jaw, her expulsion of air is more forced and makes her lips plop.
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.