Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

What do the Line shapes mean in Data Software
What do the Line shapes mean in Data Software

What do flow limitation shapes mean? At least in the Res-Scan software, there are one's that have pointy tops, one's that have flat tops and one's that have curved tops.

Also, I understand one can perhaps tell if one has a mouth leak from the shape of the detailed data's leak line?

Any pointers on learning how to read these nuances better?

Thanks in Advance,
Susan in San Francisco
I'm not a hosehead yet, just a HosebabySleep-on-pillow
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: What do the Line shapes mean in Data Software
The more "pointy tops", the better it is

If "flat tops" are dominant ... talk to your doctor, maybe pressure range need some adjustment

But on the other hand, not to worry if AHI and sleep is decent
Post Reply Post Reply
[quote='zonk' pid='97274' dateline='1421468464']

If "flat tops" are dominant ... talk to your doctor, maybe pressure range need some adjustment

THanks Zonk, but what do the flat tops MEAN? Ie what are they saying? Do they go with my centrals?

I have both, I'd say the pointy predominate but I have plenty of short flat tops.
My AHI is not yet consistently under 5.0. I'm on day 22 of A-Pap.

I have had maybe 3 days just under 5.0, and the rest under 7.0, most under 6.0
Was 26.6 when had sleep study. Grin

See the doc next month, but would love to have tried all the tinkering I can before saving the resistant/troublesome/not working stuff to discuss with him.

Thanks,
Susan

Post Reply Post Reply
Flat tops mean there is airflow restriction in those breaths.

CAs show up as just a flat line as you are not breathing during one or trying too even though your air way is open.

OAs are usually flat line also but if you were watching yourself you would see you are trying to breath but your airway is obstructed

Not sure if pointy tops are better than rounded tops or vice versa myself LOL.
Post Reply Post Reply
From glossary: http://www.resmed.com/content/dam/resmed...er_eng.pdf
Flow Limitation is a measure of partial upper airway obstruction.
This measure is based on the shape of the inspiratory flow–time curve.
A flat shape suggests upper airway obstruction

There is some useful information in " Private Files and Links"
Thread: LINKS to Members-Only FILES
Scroll down to: In addition, for basic instructions on interpreting the ResScan Charts and data, go to this page: (the link just below)

As for tinkering, one need to know whats the tinkering is about and what are we trying to fix and achieve
For a starter, I would play with EPR a little or turn off completely and see how things pan out and take it from there

Post Reply Post Reply
Think of what would happen if you were trying to breathe through a narrow soda straw. You'd start to inhale, but you'd quickly reach a point where the airflow can't get any higher, and you'd inhale at that rate for the rest of your breathing cycle. Your airflow graph looks like rectangular with a flat top.

Without the soda straw, your airflow rate will start slow, go higher, reach a peak, then drop off during the inhale cycle. Your airflow graph looks sort of like a rounded mountain top.

Flow limitations take many shapes due to the complicated nature of your respiratory system, but the basic idea of a square top vs. a sine wave is the simplest way to look at it.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ReMed Airsense software/firmware Ralph436 22 1,123 01-23-2024, 11:55 AM
Last Post: george1945
  Contec CMS50E Pulse Oximeter Software John7 0 381 11-12-2023, 09:18 AM
Last Post: John7
  Lost Red Pressure Graph Line ejbpesca 5 368 11-09-2023, 10:01 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  [Equipment] Which 24 Hr Oximeter to buy & PC/Tablet compatible software EasySleep 0 340 11-08-2023, 08:26 AM
Last Post: EasySleep
  Lowenstein Software shawsg 2 585 09-27-2023, 12:10 PM
Last Post: shawsg
  Airsense 11 flashing Climate Line Connected DaveHirschler 4 1,857 08-28-2023, 11:11 PM
Last Post: Millstone50
  AirSense 11 Stopped Transmitting ?Related to Software Update? YankeeLaker 57 7,077 08-19-2023, 09:54 AM
Last Post: jijididit

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.