Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

What do we think about really long events?
RE: What do we think about really long events?
coolbranch -- that's the way that the machines are supposed to respond -- after the event(s). Depending upon which algorithm you use, too -- the ForHer only responds after the second obstructive event.

It's pretty primitive -- they are still fixated on their caricature of the obese man whose airway has weak muscle tone and just needs a little fixed pressure boost. If you've got anything more interesting going on, well, "the machine won't do anything for that."
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-27-2022, 08:09 AM)cathyf Wrote: Depending upon which algorithm you use, too -- the ForHer only responds after the second obstructive event.

This is not supported by the ResMed AutoSet for Her documentation, nor any graphs I've seen. The Clinical Guide clearly shows the For Her algorithm responding after the first OA.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm also very interested in this thread as I only just started CPAP therapy with an Airsense 11 as well, and collected my first night of data which showed a minute long apnea preceded by a 30 second one. I have had very low AHI <1 all nights and have been still trying to adjust to getting used to the mask (Nasal pillow), but last night I basically only had one apnea episode, except it seems like it had a very long duration but was wondering is this normal? Could it be an anomaly in the data or did I really just stop breathing for like a minute and a half with a few breaths in between? I'm using a nasal pillow mask and had a chinstrap on when this happened, so I was likely gasping for air out my mouth when this happened and the data stopped. I also don't see any leaks during this time so I'd imagine I really did stop breathing, but wanted to check to see if this is something people normally see on their graphs.

Also, I'm 6'2 195 lbs but lean and muscular and only 29 Y/O, was diagnosed at home with a WatchPat One study that reported AHI of 11, RDI of 15, which I think might be an understatement given the finger sensor was so uncomfortable they marked a lot of the time I was just lying still as Light sleep, and the fact that my REM AHI was 19.9. 

Are these normal events for most people who have lots of experience treating their sleep apnea? My data otherwise seems really good.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Not sure if I can edit. But after looking at it a bit I'm definitely thinking the second event must have just been me awake and breathing through my mouth while blocking my nose off from my throat. Maybe I literally just have the one event then.
Post Reply Post Reply
What I do see is the weirdness where the flow rate curve cuts off while still logging data for the pressure curve. What do all of the other curves show?

I had an incident like that, too -- I think that there is something wonky with the Air11 data logging.

Go over to the events tab and look at the lengths of the events under there. It tells you what the machine thought.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am NOT the expert, however my understanding is that the machine will not do anything DURING the event. It waits until AFTER the event to decide what it can do to PREVENT a FUTURE event. No action during the event. Something to think about.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Trying to Reduce CA Events chrotteg 10 340 03-26-2024, 11:08 PM
Last Post: chrotteg
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,395 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Central events while falling asleep michaelyu15 7 264 03-20-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: michaelyu15
  Recently started CPAP -- very high proportion of Clear Airway Events matt2 0 117 03-17-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: matt2
  15-minute periods of massive events (OSCAR pics included) nicholasb600 2 176 03-14-2024, 09:42 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Why does my clear airway events keep increasing? deirdrepen 3 267 03-12-2024, 02:37 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  Help interpreting non-obstructive events in OSCAR needsleeps 14 767 03-05-2024, 12:28 PM
Last Post: needsleeps

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.