Humidifier: PR Dreamstation humidfier
CPAP Pressure: min EPAP = 4; max IPAP = 9;
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncoreBasic EncorePro

Other Comments: Papping since September 2010

Sex: Female

RE: What do you do for a living ??
(11-17-2013 04:24 PM)Peter_C Wrote:  
(11-15-2013 04:42 PM)justMongo Wrote:  
(11-15-2013 04:12 PM)robysue Wrote:  I'm a tenured math professor in the SUNY system

Since my calculus text is in the Smithsonian, what text would you recommend for a refresher course?

Since I am not actually sure what 'calculus' is - I assume I should just stop thinking about this post, right?
To the non-mathematician here's what you need to know about the BIG ideas of calculus:

Calculus comes in two parts. Differential calculus studies something called the derivative, which is nothing more than the rate something is changing. Do you remember the idea of the slope of a straight line?

Slope = rise/run = (change in y)/(change in x)=rate y changes with respect to x

In differential calculus, you learn how to calculate the slope of curves---functions that are not lines. And the slope of the function is just the rate the function is changing. In other words, differential calculus studies the Rate problem: How do functions change? For example: Velocity is the rate function for position, so velocity is the derivative of position. That's really main BIG idea of differential calculus.

Integral calculus studies the area trapped underneath a curve and over a particular interval of [i]x[i]-values. In K-12 mathematics we learn all about finding areas of squares, rectangles, triangles, circles, and shapes based directly on these things like trapezoids. In integral calculus we learn how to find the area trapped under a parabola. Or under one hump of a sine wave. This is the Area problem, and it's the main thing integral calculus is concerned with.

The first way to solve the Area problem is by approximating the area under the curve with a whole lot of very skinny rectangles and adding them up. As the widths of the rectangles gets smaller and the number of rectangles in the approximation gets larger, the approximation gets better and better. So Area is defined in terms of a nasty limit. It's not very pretty and it's not very easy to work with, but it's an important idea. This limit definition of Area is the first BIG idea of integral calculus.

The connection between the Area problem and Rate problem is something called The Fundamental Theorem of Calculus. The Fundamental Theorem says "the rate the area under y=f[x] is changing at x=a is given by f[a]" This basically says, the Area problem (from integral calculus) and the Rate problem (from differential calculus) are inverse problems. And the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus provides the mathematician and scientist with important short cuts for solving the Area problem without going through the nasty limit definition first used to describe the Area problem. This is the second BIG idea from integral calculus.
11-20-2013 05:25 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
zonk Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: A10 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Activa LT
Humidifier: Integrated /ClimateLineAir
CPAP Pressure: 9/13
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments: CPAP since Nov 2010

Sex: Male

I recall my first job was in a chocolate factory (not Wonka) after that worked in clubs/hotels from washing up dishes to waiting on tables and serving drinks behind the bar. But when I was in my teens wanted to be stage actor. A theater group from Beirut came too out city in Lebanon and perform "Faust" in a castle (Roman ruins) and left great impression on me but was just a dream, I used to stutter as a child and through adulthood, could been another 'Olivier' ... who knows. Anyway life has been good and like the great Dame sing "Non, je ne regrette rien" ... me too
11-22-2013 06:53 PM
Piper Offline

New Members

Machine: unsure
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: unsure
Humidifier: unsure
CPAP Pressure: unsure
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments:

I am a retired Health Insurance Frauds Investigator.
11-30-2013 08:05 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
ImaSurvivor Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed S9 Auto
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Swift FX
Humidifier: H5i Heated Humidifier, ClimateLine Tubing
CPAP Pressure: 10
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Moderate Sleep Apnea, Began using CPAP 11/27/2013

Web Design and Production Assistant. Maintaining and production of websites for various departments at a private university.
11-30-2013 08:40 PM
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

Sex: Undisclosed

Cool. You know html and aren't afraid to use it!

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
12-01-2013 12:03 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
cant_sleep_in_nj Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: Resmed S8
Mask Make & Model: mirage quattro
Humidifier: none
CPAP Pressure: 14
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments: Also use a transcend II for travel with a mirage quattro full face mask

Regional sales manager. Cover from NJ to SC. travel 4 nights per week
12-01-2013 07:14 PM
ImaSurvivor Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed S9 Auto
Mask Make & Model: Swift FX
Humidifier: H5i Heated Humidifier, ClimateLine Tubing
CPAP Pressure: 10

Other Comments: Moderate Sleep Apnea, Began using CPAP 11/27/2013

Paula02 ... yes I know html, css, and can on occasion tweak javascript code when I need to. Started out as a secretaty 28 years ago at the university and about 15 years ago learned how to post minutes from meetings on an internal website. Eventually taught myself a lot of design skills and working with image editing software. I was eventually asked if I would maintain one of the early websites for the department I then worked in. From there my duties spread out. I oversee several sites at the university now.

Outside of work, I have designed and built a sight for my hometown's high school football team. My husband was the head coach for many years before retiring 2 years ago. I passed the site on to the new coach's help when my husband retired. I try not to get too picky about what they do to it ... LoL ... easier said then done. I am ocassionally still called on to fix some technical things. I designed all the images that make up the buttons that operate the menu. So I have to create new ones sometimes when they want to add to it. It was I up til the wee hours after every game for many years getting the scores and statistics on for the media outlets and early morning risers to read, posting slideshows of pictures from each game. I archived any records of the football team I could get from the Athletic Director (also my husband), listing scores, records and coaches going back to 1919. My husband ended his career winning 3 consecutive state championships. The website was very busy during his years of coaching. I now just help some close friends with a memorial website for their son, a fallen soldier (he was also one of our alumni football players). They can operate and add things to their site with WordPress. I help out with the technical stuff with the design and css and guide them through creating their site.

Our daughter is graduating from the university I work at in a few weeks. I am considering retiring in another year so we are able to go and visit her. She will be moving on to grad school out of state. We would like to escape the winter months too.
12-01-2013 08:56 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
storywizard Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed VPAP Adapt S9
Mask Make & Model: P10 taped to face
Humidifier: included with machine
CPAP Pressure: CPAP 11cm

Other Comments:

Retired, now a spousal caregiver...
Used to be a machinist, played at being a musician for a while...

slowly getting back in shape after focusing too much on caregiving...

Stephen
07-15-2014 07:35 PM
MAPnea Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet - currently "set" on CPAP mode
Mask Type: Other
Mask Make & Model: ResMed AirFit F10 and P10 - varies
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 8

Other Comments: New Sleep Doc + New DME = Trying new approach to PAP therapy.

Hi, StephenR,
Being a caregiver is a full time job so you are far from "retired". I'm glad you are also taking time for yourself - and taking care of yourself as well.
07-15-2014 10:14 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Ripandsnort Offline

Members

Machine: REMstar Pro A-Flex+
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Quattro Air
Humidifier: System One Heated Humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 11/17

Other Comments:

30 years Eastman Kodak Company....10 years now Brockport NY School Bus Driver!
07-16-2014 06:33 PM