Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

What do you do with your day?
Pre-CPAP, I needed at least 10 hours of sleep a day.  And then I needed an additional 2-4 hours (after waking up) to finally be with it.

Now that I'm on CPAP, when I get 8 hours of sleep (or even less, sometimes) I feel well-rested and my brain is ON... which is my sign that I can't sleep anymore, and I can be productive.

But, what do I do with all of this time?  I'm kinda perplexed, as it seems to be throwing off how my day feels.  I look at the clock, and it's only 10am... or 4pm... and I'm just confused as to why the day isn't over yet, and what on earth am I supposed to do?

Before, I used to wish for more hours in the day.  But man, this is kinda almost too many hours in the day.  The day just goes on forever... and I have no motivation to go to sleep at a "decent" time, since I'm only going to be out for 8 hours (and I'm not a morning person).

I've read the tips for healthier sleep habits... but are there any tips for how to make the day not feel so long?

P.S. I now understand how parents say they get up 30-60 minutes before their kids so they can have some quiet morning time. I'm not *quite* there yet. But I get it now.
Post Reply Post Reply
G'day Hydrangea. That's a good problem to have, so make the best of it. Without knowing your circumstances I can tell you a little about what keeps me busy:

- Volunteering at Perth Observatory. I love showing people the universe through our telescopes. That's a night-time activity of course, so I usually have a Granddad nap in the afternoons I go to site (usually twice a week). And I sleep in the next morning. I also do a fair bit of technical writing, curating the heritage aspects of the site (some of our telescopes are over 100 years old) and preparing presentations for the training nights.

- SWMBO volunteers at the Kanyana wildlife rehabilitation centre, looking after sick or injured native animals and birds.

- Music. I play guitar (badly) and I used to play clarinet (which I might take up again). Since retiring a few months ago I've taken up the cello, which is a beautiful instrument and not too hard to learn. (But like all instruments it's hard to master). We also go to concerts quite a bit.

- My shed - I've got a couple of projects to finish and there is always maintenance and repairs to be done.

- Grandkids - we have the grandys a few days a week - an 8 year old and three four year olds (including a pair of twins) so they take a lot of time

- Work. Just in the last little while some of my former clients have approached me to come in on a casual basis and do some work for them (writing manuals and doing engineering audits). I don't want that to be too much of a habit, though.

- Fitness - I do a bit (not enough) on my cross trainer and home gym. Also do Pilates with a bunch of gorgeous young women in leotards. I don't wear leotards!

- TV. I can't abide commercial television so there are a lot of good series I missed out on over the years. So now I'm catching up either on Netflix or DVD. (I've just bought the entire box set of the Big Bang Theory Wink ).

- Photography. Not as much as I used to, but I have a reasonable kit of gear and occasionally get active. Some of my stuff is here: http://members.iinet.net.au/~pdfisher/Ph...Index.html

- Study. Not doing any at the moment but I completed an MSc in Astronomy a couple of years ago and may go on to do something else.

- Time away. SWMBO and I occasionally get away for a few days at a time, usually somewhere in the south-west. My sister has a beautiful house at Busselton, which sits empty most of the time and she's happy for us to use it.

And a whole lot of other stuff. The point is that there is no end of things you can do, depending entirely on your interests and local opportunities. As I get older I keep finding new things to try, keeping the brain stimulated with new learning and new activities. Ossification is a real threat, so you have to have a range of things to do to keep mind and body active.
DeepBreathing
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Bed

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
When I worked full time, I complained a lot about not having enough time in my day.  Got up at 5am to be to work and didn't get home until 5pm.  I was dead tired, made dinner, watched the news and fell asleep.  Rinse, repeat next day.   Of course, I didn't know at the time I suffered from SA.  

Now that I'm retired, I have lots of time and lots to do!

Of course, a 2 year old Granddaughter twice a week keeps me busy.  I take her to the Library, and we go for walks in the park.  Well she runs, I walk.   Big Grin

Once in awhile, I volunteer at a food kitchen, or visit a retirement home and bring small gifts to folks that don't get visitors.  I hope I never end up there.   Sad

I like to plant vegetables and flowers in the summer.  Usually plant in large pots and keep on stands than I can roll around outside.

In the winter, I'm more homebound, but like to read and according to my hubby, spend far too much time on the internet!

There are those days, when I get up in the morning and have nothing planned, but those are the best days.  I will sit on back porch and just watch what God has created, or grab a good book to read.

We don't have a lot of money to travel, and I'm really not the type anyway.  Don't like flying, and hate to drive long distances.  

Ok, I've bored you enough.  Eat-popcorn   The important thing is to keep busy!
OpalRose
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

How to Organize and Post ScreenShots

http://sleep.tnet.com/resources/sleepyhead/shorganize
https://sleep.tnet.com/reference/tips/imgur

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply

I too am getting more time available. My "extra" time is mostly spent enjoying being alive and awake.
Dont-know  I am an accountant so any advice given here is not medical. If I give any financial advice, you can take it to the bank. However, you will have a hard time cashing it in. Okay
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm so bored! The other day I got on the motorcycle, and ripped some runs here.

[Image: A79294F2-C6F7-4C2B-8C3B-4ACBB1215782.jpg]

Then I rode out here to the Conemaugh Dam

[Image: EB38F61C-D286-4137-8307-F2EFF0FB62A1.jpg]

[Image: E3C65692-8300-4EEF-9FB3-A2AE2E104759.jpg]

Yesterday we went for a bike ride downtown.

[Image: BEA30DF1-990E-49EB-95E3-360C264068AC.jpg]

So then it was time to knock back one of these,

[Image: 73BC5119-9BAD-4261-9A4E-926C21189F7F.jpg]

That reminds me...it's a new day.  Time to play.
Post Reply Post Reply
Back out on a sunny warm day to tour to a covered bridge...

[Image: e7d8f5a8b68cb312d6f8cab5abffaeff.jpg]

Followed by some more ripping fun at the drag strip. 3 burnouts here from my too skinny motorcycle tire. The dark one in the center was too hot and I had to back off. One just to the left of that goes out down the track and one on the far right.

[Image: 7B712941-0C0C-47C6-AE74-12674281FC2E.jpg]

[Image: 2954B025-A3AD-4A1C-80AD-1F319CC2E955.jpg]
Post Reply Post Reply

The wife asked me " What are you doing today".
I replayed "Nothing".
She said"You did that yesterday"
My reply was "Ya and I'm not finished yet".
Post Reply Post Reply
During the week I work between 8 & 11 hours a day. On the weekend I chill with family, especially my grandkids. I also like to do a little nature photography, make road trips with my wife and putter around the house.
Post Reply Post Reply
When I'm not working, fixing stuff around the house, spending quality time with the Mrs, or surfing apneaboard, I'm planning my bike rebuild. It's been sitting for 10 years because I simply didn't have the time or energy for fixing it. Now that I have more energy and time, I'm back into it. I basically need to rebuild everything on it and repaint it. I just picked up a new-to-me seat for it in great condition. Something that is becoming increasingly more difficult (and expensive) to do as the years tick by. Luckily, it was a popular bike so lots of other parts are available for it.

Oh and Sleeprider, you're bumming me out man!!!! so jealous. lol Dancing  Big Grin

Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. Access through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Post Reply Post Reply

Sleeprider ~ Thank you for sharing the pictures from your day and the rides on your bike. I've always wondered what it would be like to ride one. We live next to a four lane highway and now that the weather is turning warmer, a bit prematurely, the bike riders go roaring by here at a pretty good clip. They make a lot of noise but somehow I think they're having a good time. I envy you.

I tend to have to the same problem as Hydrangea. I try to fill my day with odds and ends around the house such as caring for plants since gardening outside is out of the question because it is winter. I also like knitting for charity. The Senior center where I go has a group that gets together once a month and donates knitted items for low income or homeless people who need items to stay warm. A cousin recently sent me a Valentine's Day card that can be 'colored' with coloring pencils. Haven't colored since my grade school days which was a longggg time ago. Something about coloring that calms the soul. It is very interesting to read how the rest of you fill your days - thank you for sharing.
Post Reply Post Reply