Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Hypervenilating/lightheaded from new bipap?
Hypervenilating/lightheaded from new bipap?
Hello, 

I recently got a resmed aircurve 10 vauto from my sleep dr as a loaner device to see how I tolerate bipap. I have tried 3 different cpap machines over the years and felt suffocated by all of them. Half of the machines also reported severe sleep apnea even when the mask was properly sealed. All my sleep studies have come back with different results, some have said no sleep apnea and some have had severe sleep apnea (40+ AHI in lab sleep study). I currently am going through palatal expansion and am extremely hopeful to get relief from sleep apnea following the expansion process. In the mean time, though, I am really hoping to get my airway open at night as some doctors think my breathing issues are multi-faceted.

When I wear this bipap machine my lungs hurt so bad, I get extremely lightheaded and I feel like I'm hyperventilating. Below are my settings. I have a full face mask and a small nasal pillow both available, don't notice much of a difference between the two in terms of effectiveness. I would love to post OSCAR data for you guys but I can't wear this thing for more than 5 mins at the moment without feeling like I'm going to die. Any advice is appreciated! Thanksmgurcom/2mFO1Qd

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Hypervenilating/lightheaded from new bipap?
Hi mr sleepy !  -  Welcome

Without seeing your detailed sleep data, it will net to impossible to dial in your VAuto properly.  First, download OSCAR, a free software to view your detailed sleep data.  The download link is in the name and at the top of every page here.  If your VAuto doesn't have one, you will need a 2-32Gb SD card, and an SD card reader for your PC.   For help with OSCAR and posting a screenshot of your Daily screen, please see the links in my signature.

Now, some initial settings that may offer some comfort.  Set your PS to 3 and turn your ramp off.

If you are uncertain as to how to access the Clinician menu to change these parameters, here are links to help.

Entering Clinician menu:
https://www.apneaboard.com/resmed-airsen...setup-info

Manuals available via an email request:  (Yours is a ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto - You will need this exact name to request your manual.)
https://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-p...nual#THREE

How to request a manual:
https://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-p...manual#ASK

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Based solely on your description, reduce PS to 4.0, and report your observations in the morning. It would be very helpful to see your charts, but it becomes more important as we try to identify whether we have altered your tidal volume or any other parameter that might contribute to how you feel. Please be sure the machine has a SD card inserted into the slot, and we can revisit the data whenever you are able to get it into Oscar.

Your settings currently range from 9.0/4.0 to 14.0/9.0. My suggestion to reduce PS will change that to 8.0/4.0 to 14.0/10.0. Without the data that's about all we know. I would like you to also check the settings for "Essentials" and set that to "Plus". That will give us a more detailed on-screen sleep report on the machine that includes AHI by apnea/hypopnea type, tidal volume, minute vent and other statistics.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you guys both for the suggestions. I will go into the clinician menu and make these changes tonight before bed. I'll also get some Oscar data for you guys before I post back here so that more information is available.

I really appreciate your guys' input
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello,

Have really struggled to wear the mask for more than 20 minutes. I do have a bunch of screenshots w/ oscar data here though so am curious if anyone will have any feedback. The info w/ bipap seems to be a little different so please let me know if any important data is missing here.            
Post Reply Post Reply
The charts do help quite a bit, and your settings now appear to be 4.0 to 14.0 with PS 3. This session is only 20 minutes and may not be sleep respiration. We see a series of sleep-onset CA events and respiration finally settles to nearly normal at 23:36 with some periodic respiratory fluctuations. Mask leak is present, but acceptable. To try to get your past these sleep-onset CA events, go into settings and change Trigger Sensitivity from Medium to High or Very-High. The machine will more easily transition to IPAP to give you a reminder to breathe. No other setting changes.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Which biPAP? HalfAsleep 9 400 03-14-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  bipap Innisfree 2 459 12-12-2023, 07:00 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Help with bipap Al N 7 776 09-14-2023, 06:15 PM
Last Post: Al N
  First week of CPAP use, feeling lightheaded and off Dmussell 1 457 09-04-2023, 05:05 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Fixed pressure BIPAP vrs Auto BIPAP (UARS) tugboatxd 0 714 03-29-2023, 04:13 PM
Last Post: tugboatxd
  Dreamstation BiPAP AutoSV VS BiPAP S/T? racprops 1 541 08-07-2022, 11:25 PM
Last Post: LindanHotAir
  Switching from Dreamwear FF to Resmed Nasal N30i- getting lightheaded theredheadsaid 9 789 08-04-2022, 11:37 AM
Last Post: theredheadsaid

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.