Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

What does a good O2 setup look like for 2 mid-80s adults?
I convinced my parents to start nightly Ox saturation monitoring and learned my 84 year old Dad with CHF and cancer has stunningly good nightly SpO2 and heart rate patterns that would make many 30 year olds jealous (Go Dad!) but also learned a few bad things.

The conversation is going in circles but he is what I have learned:
- They started on O2 ten years ago and their setup seems to be in a bad state of decay.  
- My father seems to be leaning on portable O2 more than he is suppose to
- My Mother's SpO2 charts are showing multiple hour blocks where average saturation is ~80%.
- My Mother is prescribed for O2 at night but stopped using it some time ago, something about broken this and that and an "oxygen company" who wont do this and that.

This morning I did some "shock and awe" chart show and tell with my siblings and we are going to get this fixed.

My parents have never needed help in the O2 department so I could not be more clueless on what "correct setup" looks like.  

- Both parents are mobile and go out of the house together but if not an over night trip only my dad needs to take O2 with him.
- They have what he calls an oxygen generator in house to fill the mobile O2 bottles.  He seems to fight with it often to get it to work.
- My Dad sleeps downstairs
- My Mother sleeps upstairs

If we were just putting them on O2 for the first time and going to do it right what do we need, what would the setup look like?    

Thanks!
J

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: What does a good O2 setup look like for 2 mid-80s adults?
They both should qualify for Medicare. Most of the time people use rental equipment. If both needed it than you would get two home concentrators and O2 bottles for your Dad to go out. The Rental company refills the bottles and brings replacements when you call.

They make portable O2 concentrators that are light and easy to carry. The problem is they're costly and Medicare doesn't pay for them.

I would shop around for O2 providers. They handle all the paper work needed. Of course they need a Doctors prescription before they can issue the oxygen.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-19-2017, 04:09 PM)Walla Walla Wrote: They both should qualify for Medicare.    

If both needed it than you would get two home concentrators.  

The Rental company refills the bottles and brings replacements when you call. They make portable O2 concentrators that are light and easy to carry. The problem is they're costly and Medicare doesn't pay for them.

Yes Dad retired from the Air Force so they are on both Tri-care and Medicare.  At the moment I think brain fog and tiredness from ongoing Oxygen desaturation might be more of a root cause than lack of Insurance help.      

I am truly new to this gear so how is this?

"If both needed it than you would get two home concentrators."  

- One concentrator near where Mom sleeps and she uses that all night.
- One concentrator near where Dad sleeps that is also a "home fill" concentrator and produces bottles Dad uses to move around the house. 

"The Rental company refills the bottles and brings replacements when you call. They make portable O2 concentrators that are light and easy to carry. The problem is they're costly and Medicare doesn't pay for them."
- For out of the house portability use oxygen bottles provided by Rental company or buy a ~$3k+ portable O2 concentrator.

- Between have a few rental company bottles around and a "Home Fill" concentrator redundancy needs are met

If that is not right anyone please correct me

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Not sure about how it works with home refilling. Best bet is to call both Medicare and Tricare and ask about coverage. Here's a link to some info from medicare. http://www.carelincmed.com/Resources/PDF...Oxygen.pdf
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Good AHI but Low Tidal Volume and Minute Ventilation erolalper 1 109 03-15-2024, 07:57 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  25 years of cpap, and still not working good Johan van der veen 2 141 03-08-2024, 10:15 AM
Last Post: Johan van der veen
Thumbsup NEW MEMBER INFO: GET YOUR OWN [secret] CPAP SETUP MANUAL SuperSleeper 1 1,909 02-17-2024, 01:47 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  [CPAP] Started to feel good, then woke up feeling HORRIBLE TiredDude 4 770 02-15-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: TiredDude
  Interference from battery charger in DC battery backup setup? Daxvex 3 233 01-22-2024, 11:59 AM
Last Post: Daxvex
  Poor quality sleep on ASV with good AHI sleepydawg99 8 607 12-19-2023, 12:23 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  First week - One "good" night and waking up with mask off most nights ghost10 9 671 12-15-2023, 11:56 AM
Last Post: ghost10

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.