Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Time for a break from CPAP and trying something different
Time for a break from CPAP and trying something different
Im pretty new to sleep apnea and CPAP therapy, 3 and a half months in. Tried 6-7 masks so far and so far havent had a single night where I slept for over a couple of hours with the mask. This will be a long post because I need to vent a bit.

Full face masks and nose masks dont work for me - if something covers my nose it makes me feel claustrophobic and anxious, cant get used to them. 

Masks which have nasal pillows fit me much better, especially since I am also not a mouth breather. I narrowed it down to the Dreamwear Nasal pillows ( the ones where nothing goes in your nose ) and Airfit n30i. Have both of them and both feel comfortable when compared to the other masks I tried. 

I bought a chin strip since sometimes I talk when I sleep, which now wakes me up. I bought a specific CPAP pillow which helps a lot.

But, I cant get used to it. I ended up falling in depression because I was extremely sleep deprived after I started CPAP therapy, had to take a month off from work because of it. Meds that I was given only made things work and I legit had the worst time in my life because of it all. Then I was moved to 10 days on sleeping pills to catch up on sleep and to maybe let my body get used to the CPAP mask. Those 10 days were good, I got 5-6 hours of sleep with the mask and I felt slightly better on the days after. 

After I stopped with the sleeping pills I again couldnt sleep. 

Now I am taking Melatonin and I manage to fall asleep with the mask but wake up after an hour or two and cant fall asleep anymore with it. Im used to sleep in a pitch black room with no noise - the noise from the machine is just agitating me at night when I am desperate for sleep. Tried getting good ear plugs but they dont block it all out. 

Usually I would keep on pushing since I know that the therapy would help me. But I also had 2 nose surgeries in the last 2 years and the last one was rhinoplasty - my nose is still recovering from it. When I wake up in the middle of the night, my nose hurts from the damn mask. Its not that its too tight, I tried multiple ones - its just that my nose is still very sensitive to touch after the surgery. 

So I cant sleep with full face masks or nasal masks because they make me feel anxious, I gave it a try and just couldnt deal with it. And the masks which I find comfortable are hurting my nose. 

So last week I finally managed to switch to a sleep doctor which actually cares what happens to you after the sleep study is done. She told me that since I have moderate sleep apnea ( 21 each hour ), that I should try the following :

1. I ordered a device called  SomnoGuard AP 2 and next week I will go to her so that we fit it for me. 
2. I will try sleeping with it for 4 weeks and see if I can get used to it and if it wont have negative side effects ( like messing up my bite )
3. If everything is ok, we will do a at home sleep study to see if the  SomnoGuard AP 2 gets rid of the sleep apnea events 
4. If it does, I will most likely invest into a proper device which unfortunately here is not covered by insurance and it will cost me a lot of money. 
5. we will discuss the option to take out my tonsils
6. When my nose if fully healed, give CPAP another go.

I know that a lot of you went through this and that my situation isnt unique. I honestly wish I could have been one of the lucky ones which slept through their first night on CPAP and felt better the next day. But I guess with the nose issues, its not meant to be currently. 

I am honestly a bit P*ssed that my doctors never suggested that I get  SomnoGuard AP 2 before. This is a great way to see if a MAD device would work for you or not. I didnt even want to consider spending 1500 euros for a MAD without knowing if it would help or if I could tolerate it. If I knew that I could get a cheaper version which can still be adapted to me for testing, I would have done that right away. At least this way I would have something for traveling, so that I dont have to take the CPAP machine with me.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Time for a break from CPAP and trying something different
Most feedback I've heard on a MAD is some sort of discomfort, and they didn't get the lower apnea they hoped for. After the MAD and possibly some various surgeries, they ended up needing CPAP anyway.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-20-2020, 05:04 AM)vrapche031 Wrote: I didnt even want to consider spending 1500 euros for a MAD without knowing if it would help or if I could tolerate it.

Moin!

That sounds like way too much! I paid about EUR600 for a Narval. I ordered it directly from Resmed Hamburg, skipping all the hassle with dentists and insurance. I made a teeth impression(zahnabdruck) at the local dentist and then I sent it to Resmed. You gotta contact them first though.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-20-2020, 02:27 PM)crowtor Wrote:
(05-20-2020, 05:04 AM)vrapche031 Wrote: I didnt even want to consider spending 1500 euros for a MAD without knowing if it would help or if I could tolerate it.

Moin!

That sounds like way too much! I paid about EUR600 for a Narval. I ordered it directly from Resmed Hamburg, skipping all the hassle with dentists and insurance. I made a teeth impression(zahnabdruck) at the local dentist and then I sent it to Resmed. You gotta contact them first though.

I forgot to reply to this, thank you very very much for this. I will look into doing it your way, much cheaper. Will contact Resmed now

ps. the Airfit 30i that I got last week actually fits me and with the combination of a cpap pillow I finally managed to sleep through a whole night with the mask last night.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here's a direct contact in case you wanna get one.

Quote:Team Narval CCTM Schlafapnoe-Schiene

E-Mail Narval@resmed.de
Tel. 0800 2880100
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-28-2020, 01:48 AM)crowtor Wrote: Here's a direct contact in case you wanna get one.

Quote:Team Narval CCTM Schlafapnoe-Schiene

E-Mail Narval@resmed.de
Tel. 0800 2880100

Thank you. I reached out to them a couple of days ago and they explained the procedure to me. Even gave me a list of a couple of dentists in my city which work with them.

However, they told me that they cant give me a price and that this goes through the dentists. I contacted one of them which has good reviews and is really close to me, so waiting to hear back about the price.

Next week I am going to my sleep doc ( who is also a HNO/ENT ) so she will help me adjust the over the counter MAD device I got. Going to try this out to see if it helps at all, if it does then I will go the Narval route.

Im now a couple of days in with the newest CPAP setup and today I slept A LOT without waking up once. Almost 8 hours straight. Woke up fine but I still felt I need to sleep more...continued for 2 and a half hours and now I feel a bit more tired but not as crappy as usually.

So it looks like I am good with CPAP now and I will stick with it. But MAD would be great for travelling and for when I simply want to have a night of sleep without sh*t on my head
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First time therapy, settings and progress Schernenk 51 712 04-14-2024, 07:45 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  Oscar 1.4.0 software time change keithy62 2 111 04-12-2024, 05:14 AM
Last Post: keithy62
  Long Time PAPer Trying to Dial It In again! dlbzone 5 254 04-11-2024, 09:26 PM
Last Post: dlbzone
  Leak Spikes and A Break in Flow blu15 9 1,254 04-06-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: avhenry
  Air11 now does daylight savings time! cathyf 5 292 03-27-2024, 06:51 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  Airsense 11 Time Zone Change ScottZZZ 60 17,895 03-26-2024, 11:56 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  TIME FOR SLEEPRIDER'S annual DST WARNING srlevine1 19 776 03-12-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: Homerec130

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.