Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

What does the AHI mean during one night therapy?
Question 
What does the AHI mean during one night therapy?
Hi This is my first question and i am new in this great forum,
I was diagnosis with mild apnea 13 AHI, then i go and ResMed AirSense 10 Auto and now i have an avarage of 1.91 AHI, this question seems to be easy but my doubt is this, does the AHI during the therapy mean that now i have 1.95 AHI and the machine handle those episodes so I did not wake up and I could sleep well? or does it mean that by the air pressure means made me to have 1.91 AHI ? I will see the doctor soon the first time after using the machine. any comment? Thank you
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: What does the AHI mean during one night therapy?
(10-13-2018, 10:25 PM)Borreguito Wrote: then i go and ResMed AirSense 10 Auto and now i have an avarage of 1.91 AHI,

This means you had, on average, 1.91 events per hour. These events are stretches of time, 10 seconds or more, during which you experience a significant reduction in airway flow.

Without the machine the number would have been higher.

Generally, as long as the AHI is below 5 we're considered treated.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
This means that without your CPAP machine you would have an AHI of about 13.

With your CPAP you are being successfully treated an have an AHA of 1.91 remaining.  1.91 is a very good number.  

It will take time for your body to lose the impact that years of apnea have placed on it but the big question is How do you feel?
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-13-2018, 10:25 PM)Borreguito Wrote: A... does the AHI during the therapy mean that now i have 1.95 AHI and the machine handle those episodes so I did not wake up and I could sleep well?

or B does it mean that by the air pressure means made me to have 1.91 AHI ? I will see the doctor soon the first time after using the machine. any comment? Thank you

A. No, you still have an UNTREATED AHI of 13, just as before.  Your machine has reduced that to well under the figure of 5/hr*, that being 1.91/hr.  You are being well regulated by your machine.  You will return to an untreated AHI of about 13 if you stop using your machine while you sleep...and nap.

B. Yes, the machine made you have 1.91 AHI which is excellent, and it used pressure to do that.

* We are considered to be fully treated when our AHI is less than (<) 5/hr, so you are good.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Little Olive - Therapy Adventure Little Olive 66 1,163 1 hour ago
Last Post: Little Olive
  First time therapy, settings and progress Schernenk 56 841 6 hours ago
Last Post: UnicornRider
  liebano - Therapy Analysis liebano 17 577 Yesterday, 05:32 PM
Last Post: liebano
  johnathanb76 - Therapy Help In Migrating to a Resmed johnathanb76 27 480 04-14-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: johnathanb76
  sleepingbetterinFl - Therapy Thread sleepingbetterinFl 82 527 04-13-2024, 01:03 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Wjg's Therapy Thread wjg1 35 811 04-12-2024, 03:20 PM
Last Post: wjg1
  OviBerger - AC11 Therapy OviBerger 3 105 04-09-2024, 09:53 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.