Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

What does the "Pressure Relief" setting?
What are the benefits of having "pressure relief" turned on? What's the downside of having it turned on? Thanks in advance.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Ihaveapnea,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for answers to your questions and good luck to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, I just realized there is a typo in the subject line. How do I delete this post?
Post Reply Post Reply

Well, you cannot delete a post. There's really no reason to delete; the question is clear.
Pressure relief is the lowering of PAP pressure on exhale. It's mostly a comfort feature.
There are some people who feels it's too difficult to exhale against the full machine pressure;
So EPR drops the pressure a cm or two.

Downside can be the induction of Clear airway apnea for some.
The EPR can cause more carbon dioxide to be expelled on exhale;
During sleep, the brain initiates a breath based on CO2 levels.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks very much, is there a chance that having this setting enabled is actually causing me to wake up?
Post Reply Post Reply
Well for me I needed to set my EPR to 3 which is the most relief when I exhale,
when I started I'd wake up because if felt like I was going to explode from not exhaling. Every breath was going in but it felt like nothing going out (drowning in air).
After I adjusted the EPR setting it helped me quite a bit , It can take a few weeks to get use to your new sleeping patterns.
This board has many helpful people that will help you quite a bit, be patient and keep asking those questions.
Good luck and ....
Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply

okay, thank you very much.
Post Reply Post Reply
I get less mask leaks having "pressure relief" turned on.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question AirCurve 10 Humidity Setting capnman 28 410 4 hours ago
Last Post: Bigbowman
  advice on setting up an auto-bipap bob simons 15 9,286 Yesterday, 11:38 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  Autoset 90 percentile pressure vs. Titration study pressure CDNHoser 12 239 10-19-2017, 09:02 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  Pressure at altitude vs. pressure at lower elevations...? S.L. Ping Beauty 19 281 10-17-2017, 09:36 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  ResMed Airsense 10 Setting Date Problem Reuven Gruber 10 931 10-13-2017, 10:46 AM
Last Post: jaswilliams
  [Equipment] Setting mask type on Resmed Airsense 10 SleepyTimes 12 3,469 10-11-2017, 11:34 PM
Last Post: Reznik
  mask setting with dreamwear eeshwa 10 1,541 10-11-2017, 11:23 PM
Last Post: Reznik