Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

What exactly IS my risk of death?
RE: What exactly IS my risk of death?
Welcome.
I'm confident the people here can help you.

Do you have a copy of your sleep study?
Can you get one and post it?

If you are currently using a machine please download SleepyHead and post your data. See my signature for how to.

Data is the key to getting sound feedback.

Fred
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-18-2017, 12:00 AM)bonjour Wrote: Welcome.
I'm confident the people here can help you.

Do you have a copy of your sleep study?
Can you get one and post it?

If you are currently using a machine please download SleepyHead and post your data.  See my signature for how to.

Data is the key to getting sound feedback.

Fred

I have a hard copy of my sleep study at home, I'll have to remember to take a look at it tonight. I'm not currently using a machine.

Lots of great information here everyone, I appreciate all the input. Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi friday88 and welcome to the Apnea Board.  Consider that the desats during the night could raise your BP in the morning.  You might want to purchase a portable BP cuff and monitor your BP especially in the AM.  The Central Apnea could also affect the quality of your sleep due to the desats.  In my case my morning BP went down and I felt much more rested after getting my ASV machine.  

Rich
Apnea Board Member RobySue has posted a Beginners Guide to Sleepyhead Software here:  http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...SleepyHead

Download Sleepyhead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Post images

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-18-2017, 10:19 AM)richb Wrote: Hi friday88 and welcome to the Apnea Board.  Consider that the desats during the night could raise your BP in the morning.  You might want to purchase a portable BP cuff and monitor your BP especially in the AM.  The Central Apnea could also affect the quality of your sleep due to the desats.  In my case my morning BP went down and I felt much more rested after getting my ASV machine.  

Rich

My quality of sleep is less of a concern, since I don't expect to sleep well.  What I am concerned about are the health risks while sleeping without the ASV machine at my current age and health.  

I love the idea of a bp monitor. That should give me an idea of how bad the problem is without the use of the machine. THANKS!
Post Reply Post Reply
The engineer and volunteer first responder in me intuitively says there will be a small difference in the risk of death. I don't know how significant the difference is (probably fairly low), but I wouldn't go as far as to say your risk of death with untreated central sleep apnea is the same as your peers without sleep apnea.

As others have said, there is less stress put on the body by central sleep apnea than obstructive sleep apnea. However, you are still having sleep disruptions and blood oxygen desaturations throughout the night. Yes, you're in relatively good health and currently more likely to kick off due to something else in your life (auto collision, a "hold my beer" moment, etc). That said, though, the brain fog you get from a poor night (and diminished overall mental acuity from day-to-day untreated central sleep apnea, even when you don't feel hungover) can contribute to those "something else in life" events (i.e. tired mind more prone to wander/doze or needing to focus just that little bit more to change the CD when driving).

When you're able to, treatment is likely a good choice so that you stay healthy longer. Smile
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Statistics on risk are useful to insurance companies, but pretty well meaningless to individuals. Take one person and you can't really compute a risk of death in any one year, there are too many confounding factors. But in large groups (thousands and more) we can calculate an average that will be pretty steady over the years. Insurance companies rely on this and it is known as "the law of large numbers". The larger the risk pool the more steady the rate of deaths (or the insured events) is from year to year and the more confidently insurers can compute rates that are safe from their point of view.

But you are not a large number of people and "risk of death" (or whatever) applies only to those large numbers. Unless things are really bad, like metastatic cancers or a badly damaged heart or other major organ, it's really impossible to give a real risk for individuals.

PAP machines remove one cause of damage to your body and overall improve health outcomes. If you need one you have a serious disease that is damaging your body. The machine doesn't cure the disease, but it reduces the risk by preventing or reducing the damage. It may not make you feel better, though it usually does, but even if it doesn't make you feel better it will probably prevent you from feeling worse. That's an improved outcome to me.

More important than the years you will live, is your life in the years you have left.

PAP machines can make you feel and function better for however many years you will be around.
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
Friday, in the interest of troubleshooting issues with the ASV, how about loading up #Sleepyhead on a computer, and grabbing the data off the SD card in your ASV machine? It would not take long to take a look at the charts and stats and see if we can make that work out for you. They are amazing machines when you get them dialed in.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-18-2017, 01:35 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Friday, in the interest of troubleshooting issues with the ASV, how about loading up [url=http://OSCAR Official Download Page ----> CLICK HERE ./]SleepyHead[/url] on a computer, and grabbing the data off the SD card in your ASV machine? It would not take long to take a look at the charts and stats and see if we can make that work out for you.  They are amazing machines when you get them dialed in.

To be clear, I do NOT have an ASV machine right now. I'm between insurance companies  and had to give the ASV machine back to the provider that was "leasing" it to me. 

The agreement was I pay my insurance deductible, ($1,000) then pay $50 per month for the next 12 months, after which I would own the machine. In the meantime the provider owned the machine, so when my insurance company changed mid year, I had to return it to avoid buying it outright. 

This process will restart once my job is no longer a temp position (about 1 month to go), meaning I pay the $1,000 again etc, and get the ASV back. SO currently I am waiting.

My questions about the risks are because I'm not sleeping with any breathing machine at all. When I get it back though, I would LOVE to analyze the data on that card.
Post Reply Post Reply
edseedhouse and Psychomike pretty well point out the unknown factors regarding the risk of untreated Central Apnea. I brought up the BP issue because there is a measurable risk of high morning BP in a large population. You can research that issue but you first need to know if you are a sufferer. Tiredness and lack of sleep are risk factors for accidents and in particular auto accidents. This is enough of an issue that some jurisdictions require compliance data for CPAP use before they will renew a drivers permit. Your mileage may vary.

Rich
Apnea Board Member RobySue has posted a Beginners Guide to Sleepyhead Software here:  http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...SleepyHead

Download Sleepyhead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Post images

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-18-2017, 01:57 PM)friday88 Wrote:
(04-18-2017, 01:35 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Friday, in the interest of troubleshooting issues with the ASV, how about loading up [url=http://OSCAR Official Download Page ----> CLICK HERE ./]SleepyHead[/url] on a computer, and grabbing the data off the SD card in your ASV machine? It would not take long to take a look at the charts and stats and see if we can make that work out for you.  They are amazing machines when you get them dialed in.

To be clear, I do NOT have an ASV machine right now. I'm between insurance companies  and had to give the ASV machine back to the provider that was "leasing" it to me. 

The agreement was I pay my insurance deductible, ($1,000) then pay $50 per month for the next 12 months, after which I would own the machine. In the meantime the provider owned the machine, so when my insurance company changed mid year, I had to return it to avoid buying it outright. 

This process will restart once my job is no longer a temp position (about 1 month to go), meaning I pay the $1,000 again etc, and get the ASV back. SO currently I am waiting.

My questions about the risks are because I'm not sleeping with any breathing machine at all. When I get it back though, I would LOVE to analyze the data on that card.

No problem.  The last person I hooked up with an ASV got it for $1250 shipped, and sometimes I come across better deals.  If I find one, I'll let you know.  No promises, but it's often better just to self-finance and own it free and clear. The only question to you is, if we find a good deal or donation, will you use it?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CPAP Treatment and the Risk of Recurrent Cardiovascular Events Rgn3 0 418 10-09-2023, 01:50 PM
Last Post: Rgn3
  AHI under normal, but feeling like a Walking Death rafanegrette 3 694 07-01-2023, 11:43 AM
Last Post: rafanegrette
  Is in-lab titration study needed for higher-risk patient who wants to avoid COVID? DevinJones 19 1,378 03-11-2023, 07:37 PM
Last Post: DevinJones
  [Symptoms] I'm scared. Am I at risk of death? Or is my pulse oximeter acting up? 444stranger444 5 834 08-04-2022, 04:06 AM
Last Post: Gideon
  Is OSCAR showing my life at risk?? racprops 3 672 07-18-2022, 07:11 AM
Last Post: racprops
Angry [Health] OSA & SUDDEN DEATH srlevine1 3 715 08-12-2021, 04:09 PM
Last Post: mesenteria
  [split] Sleep Apnea Doubles Odds for Sudden Death btreger 1 663 08-03-2021, 01:25 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.