Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

What glue is safe to use on nasal masks?
Sad 
What glue is safe to use on nasal masks?
Friends, I am using Philips Dreamwear Nasal masks, I clean them every day just like Philips wants me to, however they tend to break after only 8 months or so. There is a little plastic ring inside the nasal part that hooks on the the larger frame, and that comes off - making the mask useless. 

Now I am wondering if anyone here can recommend a safe glue for CPAP masks, so I can reattach that ring. The ring is plastic and the mask is silicone. 

I'd use super glue, but that is highly toxic, and I don't want to be breathing super glue every night. Does anyone have any advice? 

Thank you in advance, I am looking forward to circumventing Philips' obvious planned obsolescence.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: What glue is safe to use on nasal masks?
Mask frames are designed for 6-month replacement, however, you can replace mask parts rather than the whole mask. You need to wrap your mind around the fact masks are consumables. Is the part that is breaking, part of the nasal cushion or part of the frame?  Instead of gluing, just replace parts.  Looking on Amazon, the mask frame and connector is only $8.00, the swivel elbow is only about $8.51, cushions are $10.50 and a 6-pack of headgear is under $20.  I think getting some spare parts would be an easier and better idea. Masks will leak more and fit worse as they age, so replacement is a good idea, and doesn't need to break the bank.

[Image: dreamwear.mask.content_2.jpg]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for the advice SleepRider, you are always so helpful.
The part that keeps breaking is the cushion connector on the UNT-cushion part. There is a plastic ring glued to the silicone that gives up after a few months. I will check amazon and see if I can order some replacements.
Post Reply Post Reply
I missed you are in Sweden. The availability of mask parts is quite good here in the U.S. but may not be so easy where you live.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have used Aleene's Tacky Glue to good effect on many plastics.  It doesn't have much smell, and it has a good solid grip.  May not be available where you live, at least not locally.

Personally, I would spend a few coins for replacement parts or new ones, but if you have to be thrifty, Aleene's should help.  I just used my supply to semi-permanently couple the short hose that ends up at the cushion to the climateline longer hose because mine had begun to separate easily during the night.  A month in, it's still coupled, no smell, not even that first night.

Mind you, it could be me...not smelling.  Big Grin
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello, I understand your requirements as I have similar need. I’d be grateful to know if you found the right glue to fix the problem. Thank you.
Post Reply Post Reply
Bonding to silicone is *very* difficult and you may only have one shot at it. Whatever glue you go with may bond well to the plastic ring but not the silicone. 

Two things I would try are:
  • Silicone Caulk - but even this may not bond to silicone
  • Sil-poxy - this is your best bet

We are all a little sensitive about what we breathe through our CPAP because of the Philips scandal. I doubt you will have any luck finding out any definitive information about any glue off-gassing after it's dried. Manufactures simply don't perform or publish that type of close quarter off-gassing tests. All they'll do is put a warning on the product about good ventilation while using the product.

Having said that, most glues and epoxies simply don't offgas after drying. Add to that you are using tiny amounts and the location is within the joint of the ring and frame. Personally, I would be concerned with any fumes.

One suggestion has little to do with fixing the mask, but extending the life even longer.

Washing masks and parts is one of the biggest contributors to reduced mask lifespans. Popping the cushion from the frame puts a lot of stress on the mask and then the hot water, expansion and scrubbing on the existing glue joints.

Without turning this into a mask-washing thread:
  • Manufacturers wash dialing instructions are overly precautionary
  • It is more important to wipe oils of cushions for a good seal than to remove pathogens and the pathogens on the mask typically came from us.
  • Daily cleaning will cause stresses on consumables 14 times the rate of cleaning once every two weeks.
  • Cleaning really is overstated, after all ResMed Air Foam masks recommend they *NOT* be cleaned during the lifetime, because the water degrades the memory foam. Why would they not require daily cleaning but all other mask require daily cleaning.
Post Reply Post Reply
>>>Having said that, most glues and epoxies simply don't offgas after drying. Add to that you are using tiny amounts and the location is within the joint of the ring and frame. Personally, I would be concerned with any fumes.

Did you mean "would not be concerned"?

If the glues don't off-gas after drying, is there still a concern?
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-24-2022, 03:21 PM)pholynyk Wrote: >>>Having said that, most glues and epoxies simply don't offgas after drying. Add to that you are using tiny amounts and the location is within the joint of the ring and frame. Personally, I would be concerned with any fumes.

Did you mean "would not be concerned"?

If the glues don't off-gas after drying, is there still a concern?

Yup, sorry. There should be a not in there.    Dont-know
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 314 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Custom-Fitted Masks? TonyBoBony 5 341 03-01-2024, 10:30 PM
Last Post: TonyBoBony
  [Equipment] Are the Replacements Safe Keesh23 0 170 02-02-2024, 12:51 AM
Last Post: Keesh23
  Switched masks and adjustment period sleepingbetterinFl 1 218 01-21-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
Question Are there alternative straps out there for masks that does not slide off? hejohoo 4 407 01-20-2024, 11:51 PM
Last Post: paulag1955
Question [Equipment] Fullface or Nasal? Jose Castro 10 861 01-17-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Other masks to try? acordeon 5 493 01-01-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: Expat31

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.