Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

What grinds your gears? AKA what pet peeve have you?
(10-28-2017, 03:42 PM)GrammaBear Wrote:
(10-28-2017, 03:13 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote:
(10-28-2017, 03:03 PM)GrammaBear Wrote: Spending 35 minutes on 'live-chat' waiting for the broadband "representative" to look up your account information because you've called regarding a phone outage.  Then he has the 'nerve' to ask:  "So, your phone is not working, can you use it anyway"?  grrrrrrrrr......................

I couldn't have gotten away with that lame excuse answer at the most recent job. It never would have passed our Quality call screening. Was in tech support for a credit card processing Corp. So now I can proudly say I'm expert in password resets.

Dave ~ I think I understand what you're saying, however the broadband company has us over a barrel or so the saying goes.  They can simply shut off our service and we have no option but to wait until they decide to restore it.  I just hope in the meantime that my cell phone doesn't quit working because that really is the only phone I have now. 

Did not mean to make my post into a rant but I really am annoyed.

Quite OK with me. FWIW several of my family use cell phones as mobile and house phones, doing away with landlines. Regardless, IMO the rep that would have tried to talk to me the way you've posted, would have been dragged into a nice quiet conversation with myself and his/her supervisor.
To great weekend, Dave

(10-28-2017, 05:40 PM)Homerec130 Wrote: When you are on the phone with tech support and they escalate your call and explain everything they have already done to the new agent. AND then the new agent goes through all the steps you already took a second time. 

Incompetent people who know they are and don't take any steps to improve themselves or remedy the situation.

And the list goes on....

Wait, this sounded like a few of my not very successful and obviously former co-workers. Former both because I don't work there but also because they probably don't either. BTW my illnesses cost my my employment there not incompetent acts like you've witnessed.
To great weekend to y'all too.
Dave
Dave

I'm not a doctor in real or fictional life. My posts include opinions based upon user experience regarding CPAP therapy and should not be considered medically professional direction or advice. Even a 1,000 mile trip requires a good first step. My recommended first steps include getting good walking shoes, 1 great cup of coffee, and a good GPS.

Wiki Info for Beginners
Sleepyhead Chart Organization
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
Dave,
Since we're flipping cards over I'm 61. Wish I was 48 again. Than again someone a lot older than me is saying I wish I was 61.
I remember 78 RPM records, black and white TV, and dial telephones. Yep the bad old days.

Pet peeve: Old people who say the old days were better.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
absolutely
Mainly when someone is being interviewed and every sentence seems the have absolutely in it.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-28-2017, 06:26 PM)Walla Walla Wrote: Dave,
         Since we're flipping cards over I'm 61. Wish I was 48 again. Than again someone a lot older than me is saying I wish I was 61.
I remember 78 RPM records, black and white TV, and dial telephones. Yep the bad old days.

Laugh-a-lot Ha....I not only 'remember' the old 78 RPM records, I have a small box full of them with no turntable to play them on.  I'm sure our grown sons would laugh themselves silly if they actually heard them playing, especially in these days where music is on every possible hand held device.  I am feeling old sometimes at 72.
Post Reply Post Reply

(11-01-2017, 10:00 AM)GrammaBear Wrote:

Laugh-a-lot Ha....I not only 'remember' the old 78 RPM records, I have a small box full of them with no turntable to play them on.  I'm sure our grown sons would laugh themselves silly if they actually heard them playing, especially in these days where music is on every possible hand held device.  I am feeling old sometimes at 72.

Well I have either used them or owned the items on that list (78s, b&w TV, dial phone); my Grandfather introduced me to 78 records, never owned any but they certainly were interesting, heavy and fragile it seems and had a unique sound. A black & white TV was all we had until the late '70's when same grandfather gave my family their old 19" floor model TV. We grew up in a trailer park in the boonies of PA FWIW. Said trailer had a black, short corded, wall mount rotary phone. Later, we upgraded to a long cord "70's Orange" rotary phone.

IMO some things from the past were maybe actually "better". Social media can be a gift or a curse. My impression would be that overall people weren't as hateful (openly). There's some aspects of our society that I'm not supporting such as PC (not computer). Other things seem better a few decades ago too. Today's cars and tech are very nice, but those muscle and pony cars of the sixties were nice as well.

Rambling done.
Happiest Wednesday to y'all.

Dave B

Coffee Coffee

PS I'm blessed to have made it to 48 earlier this year. Dad didn't make his 44th from the several heart attacks he'd had. So I take every day as God's gift. Cheers...
Dave

I'm not a doctor in real or fictional life. My posts include opinions based upon user experience regarding CPAP therapy and should not be considered medically professional direction or advice. Even a 1,000 mile trip requires a good first step. My recommended first steps include getting good walking shoes, 1 great cup of coffee, and a good GPS.

Wiki Info for Beginners
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
(10-28-2017, 05:57 PM)GrammaBear Wrote:
(10-28-2017, 05:40 PM)Homerec130 Wrote: When you are on the phone with tech support and they escalate your call and explain everything they have already done to the new agent. AND then the new agent goes through all the steps you already took a second time. 

Incompetent people who know they are and don't take any steps to improve themselves or remedy the situation.

And the list goes on....

No disrespect meant whatsoever, but you sound like you could write a book on this subject as could I.

I would love to, but seeing as I am still bound by a NDA can't really do it. Still bound by it, even they they terminated my employment by saying your services are no longer needed. They told the last 3 of us from our experimental training class the same day and we had to leave right after we were told. Not even allowed to go back out on the floor to get our stuff. MAnager went out and got our keys and the like. BTW, our trainer is no longer there either. Can you say "get rid of the bodies?"
Post Reply Post Reply
Talk about petty pet peeves...

Mine...

When someone says nucular instead of nuclear. Presidents, senators, scientists, everyone does it.

The second....

I listen to public radio a lot. On news parts they interview a lot of people. After the interview they usually say "thank you for joining us today". The Response from about 95+% of them is to return the thank you. Not you're welcome, or my pleasure. Who responds to a thank you with a thank you?
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-19-2017, 08:37 PM)DanGagner Wrote: Talk about petty pet peeves...

Mine...

When someone says nucular instead of nuclear. Presidents, senators, scientists, everyone does it.

The second....

I listen to public radio a lot. On news parts they interview a lot of people. After the interview they usually say "thank you for joining us today". The Response from about 95+% of them is to return the thank you. Not you're welcome, or my pleasure. Who responds to a thank you with a thank you?

I'm sometimes guilty of your second one. Why? I don't know.

I've heard "supposedly" pronounced as supposebly...  Coffee
Dave

Wiki Info for Beginners
Post Reply Post Reply
Quote:I listen to public radio a lot. On news parts they interview a lot of people. After the interview they usually say "thank you for joining us today". The Response from about 95+% of them is to return the thank you. Not you're welcome, or my pleasure. Who responds to a thank you with a thank you?

It's a mutual thanks. "Thanks for being on the show.." "Thanks for having me." No problem with that, is there?
DeepBreathing
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Bed

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
I am somewhat of an old-fashioned language pedant. One particular gripe is the use of "reticent" instead of "reluctant". It's got so commonplace some dictionaries are even treating them as equivalent.

Another one Americans are guilty of is "momentarily". It means "For a moment, for a very short time". When you say "the plane is going to land momentarily" you're really saying it will touch down and immediately take off again. Instead of misusing a five syllable word, why don't you use a simple, one syllable one: "Soon"?
DeepBreathing
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Bed

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply