Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

What happened? did my cpap failed to respond?
Question 
What happened? did my cpap failed to respond?
Last night I was using my cpap from about 10pm , and I vaguely remember waking up half awake and taking my mask off since it was uncomfortable, next thing I know is 5:30 time to wake up and I realize my mask was off and has been off since 2:30... (is discouraging).

Today I got home eager to see if I can find out what happened last night (see attached sleepyhead screenshot)

[Image: huh.jpg]

And I noticed my AHI is below 5 which is good for me, I did have a few Hypos but noticed that I had nothing but one obstructive Apnea event that lasted about 12 seconds, right after that is when I woke up and took my mask off, probably because I felt suffocated...

My only concern is... the CPAP machine did not kick up.. it stayed at the minimum pressure of 5...

My understanding is that the purpose of the CPAP machine is to detect these events and immediately send help to open the airway.

Am i missing anything? Thinking-about
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: What happened? did my cpap failed to respond?
A couple of things. None of the machines can supply enough pressure to open an airway that is already closed. It hopes to splint and open airway so it will not collapse. if the airway closes anyway the machine should increase pressure after the airway opens to try and prevent the next one from happening at the higher pressure. then after a while of no events the machine will step the pressure back down and repeat the cycle if required.

If the machine detects a flow limit then it will also raise the pressure because that can be a precursor to an apnea.

"to detect these events and immediately send help to open the airway." nope. these machines do not have enough pressure to blow up a balloon.

Now ASV machines do have a little more pressure and will increase the pressure during an event to try and trigger you to start breathing.
Post Reply Post Reply
The detail to the left of graphs shows your medium pressure at 8.20 and 95% pressure at 10, so it didn't stay at 5.

Your pressure graph is only opened up to show aprox. 1 minute of time, from 2:20 to 2:21am and that time doesn't show on the event graph, and since you had mask off pressure wouldn't change. Thinking-about
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for taking the time to help me understand how this machine works.

Your replies are very helpful.
Post Reply Post Reply
APAP and standard Bilevel Auto machines watch for snoring and Flow Limitation and try to avoid obstructive apneas by raising the pressure before obstructive apneas and hypopneas occur. After an apnea or hypopnea has ended, the occurrence and perhaps duration of the hypopnea or obstructive apnea will also affect how much the pressure will be adjusted.

But I think it is not so much that standard 'PAP machines can never supply enough pressure to open a closed airway. Rather, only 'PAP machines having a "backup respiration rate" (an extremely expensive feature) will raise the pressure during an apnea.

Standard APAP and Bilevel APAP machines generally are designed to wait until the apnea has ended before making any adjustment to the pressure.

Bilevel machines with a backup rate (ASV or ST or ST-A or AVAPS, etc) will automatically start cycling between the exhale pressure and a higher inhale pressure to do for us some or all of the work of breathing, which can successfully treat central apneas, and will also help in preventing obstructive events.

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Any data, that close to your awakening is not reliable. Looks pretty bad, but it's just moments before you get out of bed.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
A PRS1 machine responds like this.
It will respond to each FL. It will respond to each snore.
It will respond to one Hypop.
It wont raise pressure in response to a single OA. It will raise pressure in response to TWO OA in a certain time period tjough id have to look and see exactly how long that period is.

Looking at that graph your machine shouldnt have raised pressure in response to that one lone OA.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Airsense 10 Respond Questions SheShells23 12 463 03-11-2024, 09:06 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  I'm new. Shouldn't my machine respond more BeautifulDay 15 755 12-19-2023, 06:38 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Airsense 10 Humid failed ? tpm1952 6 549 11-17-2023, 10:36 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  ResMed AirSense 10 Respond Model and OSCAR upsman 6 2,096 10-06-2023, 03:34 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  [Equipment] Has Your Philips Dreamstation Humidifier Lid Latch Failed? FLsleeper7 34 17,442 09-16-2023, 01:46 PM
Last Post: cparias
  What happened? highlandwarlord 10 858 06-29-2023, 10:24 PM
Last Post: highlandwarlord
  What happened to me here? CA's back to back livsmonster 0 357 04-24-2023, 07:48 PM
Last Post: livsmonster

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.