Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: PR DreamWear Nasal Mask
Humidifier: PR System One
CPAP Pressure: 12
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Male

What happened last night?
Last night at 1:30 AM I took my mask off and left it off until about 4:30 AM. My wife happened to be awake at that time, she said that I appeared to be sleeping normally (on my back) when I suddenly got up, took the mask off, placed it on the nightstand and went back to sleep on my left side. I, of course, remember none of this.

SleepyHead shows a whole bunch of stuff going on for about half an hour before I took it off. The pressure climbed from 8 to 16 during this time, then dropped a little bit before I took it off. The data from that time is below, any ideas what this is all about?

[Image: ykf22Ot.png]
08-18-2015 12:18 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
justMongo Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed VPAP Auto (S9)
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18 IPAPmax - 11 EPAPmin, PS=5
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments: μολὼν λαβέ

RE: What happened last night?
Your system (and likely mask) was in large leak. Hence, the machine ramped up pressure.
Leaks wake most people up.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
08-18-2015 12:41 PM
ISnoreBadly Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: PR System One REMStar Pro 560

Other Comments:

The pressure climbing during the bunch of events starting a little before 1:00 is expected, correct? And the way I read it once the pressure got to 16 the events mostly stopped so that's a good thing as well?

I guess my mask is leaking at the higher pressure...
08-18-2015 12:57 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
justMongo Offline

Monitors

(08-18-2015 12:57 PM)ISnoreBadly Wrote:  The pressure climbing during the bunch of events starting a little before 1:00 is expected, correct? And the way I read it once the pressure got to 16 the events mostly stopped so that's a good thing as well?

Agreed. Still need to tame those leaks; plus, in my opinion, 8 cm-H2O is too low a starting pressure. You see your flow rate amplitude declining around 00:58 -- 8 cm-H2O is not enough to splint your airway open. If it were me, I would up the min pressure.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
08-18-2015 01:27 PM
ISnoreBadly Offline

Advisory Members

Other Comments:

(08-18-2015 01:27 PM)justMongo Wrote:  
(08-18-2015 12:57 PM)ISnoreBadly Wrote:  The pressure climbing during the bunch of events starting a little before 1:00 is expected, correct? And the way I read it once the pressure got to 16 the events mostly stopped so that's a good thing as well?

Agreed. Still need to tame those leaks; plus, in my opinion, 8 cm-H2O is too low a starting pressure. You see your flow rate amplitude declining around 00:58 -- 8 cm-H2O is not enough to splint your airway open. If it were me, I would up the min pressure.

I was thinking the same thing but wasn't sure what to raise it to... what would you suggest, 9? 10?
08-18-2015 01:34 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
justMongo Offline

Monitors

(08-18-2015 01:34 PM)ISnoreBadly Wrote:  
(08-18-2015 01:27 PM)justMongo Wrote:  

I was thinking the same thing but wasn't sure what to raise it to... what would you suggest, 9? 10?

I think those would be good targets. But, would recommend increasing in smaller increments and watching for a few days.
ResMed machines can be dial in 0.2 cm increments. I'm not sure about PR machines. So, perhaps 0.4 to 0.5 increments and watch for a few days.

08-18-2015 03:07 PM
ISnoreBadly Offline

Advisory Members

Other Comments:

My machine can go up in .5 increments.

Up until last week I was at 12 cm CPAP, after talking to my doctor about how I felt that I slept better when I tried APAP instead he suggested doing it again but using 8 - 16 cm as the range so I'm not really tied to that minimum number right now.

Tonight I'll bump it up to 9 but will first set the machine to 16 cm CPAP to try to get the mask leaks worked out.
08-18-2015 07:31 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
ISnoreBadly Offline

Advisory Members

Other Comments:

This is getting frustrating.

Last night before bed I set the machine to 16 cm CPAP and adjusted the mask so it wasn't leaking. It took a lot of work and I had to tighten it down quite a bit but eventually got it. I set the machine back to 9 - 16 cm APAP and went to sleep. Within 2 hours the mask was on the nightstand again. I woke up about an hour after that, put it back on but then took it off again within an hour and it stayed off until about 5:30 this morning.

Both times I see that it started leaking air right before I took it off. I'm not sure what else to try here and am thinking about going back to the nasal pillows to see if that makes a difference.
08-19-2015 05:31 AM
ISnoreBadly Offline

Advisory Members

Other Comments:

Progress!

I went back to the nasal pillows instead of the FFM and bumped the minimum pressure up to 9. Last night I kept the mask on all night, I only woke up once when I turned on my right side (away from the machine) and the hose pulled on my face. Aside from that I slept through the night and didn't have any issues with leaks. I still have a bunch of OAs and some snoring but it looks better than the only full night I had with the FFM.

[Image: Vz0l41Y.png]

That looks OK?
08-20-2015 09:25 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
PaytonA Offline
Wiki Editor
Monitors

Machine: ResMed S9 VPAP Auto
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: H5i(distilled-top up)
CPAP Pressure: VAuto MinE14.0 MaxI 20.6 PS4.0
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Looks quite good. Keep on truckin'.
08-20-2015 09:33 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Just when I thought you guys were geniuses.....this happened.... Daisylouu 4 432 09-29-2016 01:19 PM
Last Post: Daisylouu
  1st night with DreamWear mask - Best night ever pwgphoto 34 5,281 08-30-2016 08:36 PM
Last Post: HoustonMIke
Sad What just happened? Rcgop 12 754 07-30-2016 08:25 PM
Last Post: NorthernGuy
  [Treatment] Seeing significantly different AHI numbers night to night galenaforest 4 817 02-25-2016 02:27 AM
Last Post: Dagmar1
Question What happened? did my cpap failed to respond? ezdrifler 6 711 02-07-2016 12:59 AM
Last Post: Ghost1958
  One night = 0 leaks, next night 30 L.....??? GrammaBear 3 730 01-28-2016 01:39 PM
Last Post: justMongo
  It happened! My first night of sleep with an AHI under 5! SpeedyD 8 1,153 12-17-2015 03:03 PM
Last Post: DumfriesDik