Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

What happened last night?
What happened last night?
Last night at 1:30 AM I took my mask off and left it off until about 4:30 AM. My wife happened to be awake at that time, she said that I appeared to be sleeping normally (on my back) when I suddenly got up, took the mask off, placed it on the nightstand and went back to sleep on my left side. I, of course, remember none of this.

SleepyHead shows a whole bunch of stuff going on for about half an hour before I took it off. The pressure climbed from 8 to 16 during this time, then dropped a little bit before I took it off. The data from that time is below, any ideas what this is all about?

[Image: ykf22Ot.png]
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: What happened last night?
Your system (and likely mask) was in large leak. Hence, the machine ramped up pressure.
Leaks wake most people up.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
The pressure climbing during the bunch of events starting a little before 1:00 is expected, correct? And the way I read it once the pressure got to 16 the events mostly stopped so that's a good thing as well?

I guess my mask is leaking at the higher pressure...
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-18-2015, 12:57 PM)ISnoreBadly Wrote: The pressure climbing during the bunch of events starting a little before 1:00 is expected, correct? And the way I read it once the pressure got to 16 the events mostly stopped so that's a good thing as well?

Agreed. Still need to tame those leaks; plus, in my opinion, 8 cm-H2O is too low a starting pressure. You see your flow rate amplitude declining around 00:58 -- 8 cm-H2O is not enough to splint your airway open. If it were me, I would up the min pressure.
Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-18-2015, 01:27 PM)justMongo Wrote:
(08-18-2015, 12:57 PM)ISnoreBadly Wrote: The pressure climbing during the bunch of events starting a little before 1:00 is expected, correct? And the way I read it once the pressure got to 16 the events mostly stopped so that's a good thing as well?

Agreed. Still need to tame those leaks; plus, in my opinion, 8 cm-H2O is too low a starting pressure. You see your flow rate amplitude declining around 00:58 -- 8 cm-H2O is not enough to splint your airway open. If it were me, I would up the min pressure.

I was thinking the same thing but wasn't sure what to raise it to... what would you suggest, 9? 10?
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-18-2015, 01:34 PM)ISnoreBadly Wrote:
(08-18-2015, 01:27 PM)justMongo Wrote:

I was thinking the same thing but wasn't sure what to raise it to... what would you suggest, 9? 10?

I think those would be good targets. But, would recommend increasing in smaller increments and watching for a few days.
ResMed machines can be dial in 0.2 cm increments. I'm not sure about PR machines. So, perhaps 0.4 to 0.5 increments and watch for a few days.
Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
My machine can go up in .5 increments.

Up until last week I was at 12 cm CPAP, after talking to my doctor about how I felt that I slept better when I tried APAP instead he suggested doing it again but using 8 - 16 cm as the range so I'm not really tied to that minimum number right now.

Tonight I'll bump it up to 9 but will first set the machine to 16 cm CPAP to try to get the mask leaks worked out.
Post Reply Post Reply
This is getting frustrating.

Last night before bed I set the machine to 16 cm CPAP and adjusted the mask so it wasn't leaking. It took a lot of work and I had to tighten it down quite a bit but eventually got it. I set the machine back to 9 - 16 cm APAP and went to sleep. Within 2 hours the mask was on the nightstand again. I woke up about an hour after that, put it back on but then took it off again within an hour and it stayed off until about 5:30 this morning.

Both times I see that it started leaking air right before I took it off. I'm not sure what else to try here and am thinking about going back to the nasal pillows to see if that makes a difference.
Post Reply Post Reply
Progress!

I went back to the nasal pillows instead of the FFM and bumped the minimum pressure up to 9. Last night I kept the mask on all night, I only woke up once when I turned on my right side (away from the machine) and the hose pulled on my face. Aside from that I slept through the night and didn't have any issues with leaks. I still have a bunch of OAs and some snoring but it looks better than the only full night I had with the FFM.

[Image: Vz0l41Y.png]

That looks OK?
Post Reply Post Reply
Looks quite good. Keep on truckin'.

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First night with hose cover, night was full of major mask leaks TiredTom111 2 849 06-30-2023, 01:44 PM
Last Post: TiredTom111
  What happened? highlandwarlord 10 858 06-29-2023, 10:24 PM
Last Post: highlandwarlord
  Hello folks, here is my graph from last night and night before Phil487 5 895 06-15-2023, 02:05 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  What happened to me here? CA's back to back livsmonster 0 357 04-24-2023, 07:48 PM
Last Post: livsmonster
  What Happened at 3 a.m.? dhamments 9 927 08-29-2022, 05:07 PM
Last Post: dhamments
  first night taped. what happened? rogerncormier74 5 765 04-13-2022, 07:13 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  [Symptoms] What happened between 04:40 - 05:00 ? edgnoj 10 1,298 01-20-2022, 05:51 AM
Last Post: edgnoj

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.