Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

What happened to my hand sanitizer?
Question 
I formerly used a hand sanitizer called HY5. I'll mention their name because one cannot buy it anymore. Even their own website says it's no longer available to either Consumer or Institutional users.

It contained BZK (aka: Benzalkonium chloride)

Did BZK get banned by the FDA Gestapo?
Post Reply Post Reply
It probably contained DiHydrogen MonOxide (DHMO), which is a known killer:

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...e#pid17133

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
The general use of Benzalkonium chloride is being highly discouraged due to the increased resistance to most antibiotics found within several strains of common infectious bacteria.
The federal monolog can be found here... use the search feature of your browser to seek down thru the document to the good stuff: Safety and Effectiveness of Consumer Antiseptics - Topical Antimicrobial Drug Products for Over-the-Counter Human Use - Proposed Amendment of the Tentative Final Monograph - Reopening of Administrative Record

Also there has been some discussion about the safety and effectiveness of its use in things like dandruff shampoos, hand sanitizers, and other cosmetic compounds.

Smile
Post Reply Post Reply

(04-24-2015, 01:27 PM)SleepingDragon Wrote: The general use of Benzalkonium chloride is being highly discouraged due to the increased resistance to most antibiotics found within several strains of common infectious bacteria.

Well that! I think they should get their own darn hand sanitizer and leave ours alone. Stupid bugs.... stupid stupid stupid. What do I care if they are resistant to use benza whatsit?
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-24-2015, 01:15 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote: It probably contained DiHydrogen MonOxide (DHMO), which is a known killer:

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...e#pid17133

(04-24-2015, 01:27 PM)SleepingDragon Wrote: The general use of Benzalkonium chloride is being highly discouraged due to the increased resistance to most antibiotics found within several strains of common infectious bacteria.
The federal monolog can be found here... use the search feature of your browser to seek down thru the document to the good stuff: Safety and Effectiveness of Consumer Antiseptics - Topical Antimicrobial Drug Products for Over-the-Counter Human Use - Proposed Amendment of the Tentative Final Monograph - Reopening of Administrative Record

Also there has been some discussion about the safety and effectiveness of its use in things like dandruff shampoos, hand sanitizers, and other cosmetic compounds.

Smile
Good research.

Seems the main concern is with safety. Maybe that warrants a warning; Like, "824SM, takeoff is at your risk."

(Takeoff clearance when the tower cannot see you; or when below VFR mins for TO.)
Post Reply Post Reply
Wow, I just checked and that DHMO is in EVERYTHING. What can we do?
Post Reply Post Reply

And people thought I was crazy because I never used hand sanitizer. (I am crazy but not wrong)
I use my PAP machine nightly and I feel great!
Updated: Philips Respironics System One (60 Series)
RemStar BiPAP Auto with Bi-FlexModel 760P -
Rise Time x3 Fixed Bi-Level EPAP 9.0 IPAP 11.5 (cmH2O)
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-24-2015, 04:32 PM)PaytonA Wrote: Wow, I just checked and that DHMO is in EVERYTHING. What can we do?

Rinse it off with water.
Post Reply Post Reply
DHMO has caused many deaths in Canada in both liquid and solid form. It's also a known carrier of germs. Yep, it's all (insert name here)'s fault.
Post Reply Post Reply

(04-24-2015, 05:44 PM)justMongo Wrote:
(04-24-2015, 04:32 PM)PaytonA Wrote: Wow, I just checked and that DHMO is in EVERYTHING. What can we do?

Rinse it off with water.

Lolabove Laugh-a-lot Dielaughing
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question [Health] Right hand numbness Earthfuture 4 675 04-30-2016, 06:30 AM
Last Post: toniko
  So what ever happened to the Post Office justMongo 17 1,478 12-20-2015, 07:28 PM
Last Post: justMongo
  What happened to Retired_guy ? justMongo 17 2,134 08-25-2015, 06:02 PM
Last Post: Thegirls
  It happened!!! cowboy1970 10 5,455 06-14-2013, 08:22 PM
Last Post: Paptillian