Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

What happens When the Power Goes Off?
What happens When the Power Goes Off?
I had my mask when I shut down my ResMed CPAP. It seemed that my breathing was completely blocked. Is there any danger of not being able to breathe when there is a power outage. Will your internal system tell you immediately that there is a problem and allow you to remove the mask, or is it possible that serious consequences could occur?

I have been thinking of buying a power outage detector that will sound an alarm on power outages if there is a potential serious problem.

Thanks, Bob.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: What happens When the Power Goes Off?
Full face masks have an anti-asphyxia valve which allows you to breathe through ... in event of power failure

Its possible to re-breathe some of the exhaled air ... Don,t worry you would wake up to remove the mask ... in the nick of time Too-funny
Some sort of power outage detector alarm is good idea

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Zonk. OK Thanks for the info. I have seen small power outage detectors at Amazon for around $15 + shipping. (Reliance Controls THP207). It has an audible alarm. I think I'll get one. Bob.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-14-2012, 01:11 AM)BobF Wrote: I had my mask when I shut down my ResMed CPAP. It seemed that my breathing was completely blocked. Is there any danger of not being able to breathe when there is a power outage. Will your internal system tell you immediately that there is a problem and allow you to remove the mask, or is it possible that serious consequences could occur?

I have been thinking of buying a power outage detector that will sound an alarm on power outages if there is a potential serious problem.

Thanks, Bob.

Experiment with it while you're awake. Unplug the CPAP, and put the mask on. There's a flapper valve that should open when there's no pressure and you should be breathing in and out through the hole in the mask, not through the hose. There may be a little resistance, but it shouldn't be that bad.

Even if the valve doesn't open, you should still be able to inhale and exhale, but you'll be blowing air back down the hose and through your CPAP machine. You'll be rebreathing a log of your exhaled air, so this is not a good thing.

Don't count on waking up if this is happening. Low O2/high CO2 can sometimes render you unconscious and you might not wake up. Most of us will probably wake up, but that's not guaranteed. People sometimes die in "confined spaces" in industrial situations because they pass out without ever realizing anything is wrong.

In theory, with a nasal mask, you'll automatically open your mouth to breathe if the machine fails.

Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have found that the S9s are very airtight machines. With my S7, I didn't often wake up as soon as the power went off, but rather several minutes. Or not at all. But with this S9, I am awake immediately because there's no air.

But as much as I hate that feeling, I think I would hate clinging to the ceiling with the power off alarm went off even more. I'd have to put it out in the living room or something.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Never had any trouble breathing with the mask on when power went out, and that includes my present favorite mask which covers eyes, nose and mouth! Last time the power went out, I did wake up but it wasn't until awhile after the power died. I believe my subconscious became aware of the lack of pressurized air, but I was still breathing just fine. Same with a previous nasal mask (ResMed Activa) and a FFM (ResMed Quattro).
Post Reply Post Reply
From personal experience with a number of power outages, I was immediately awaken after only one breath. Shock

I normally use a Swift LT pillows mask w/ chin strap.
Yesterday is history; Tomorrow is a mystery; Today is a gift; Thats why its called "The Present".  
Post Reply Post Reply
I think I wake up pretty quickly too, but I have enough gadgets that beep, boop, or thump when the power goes out, I can't be that sure it's the CPAP that wakes me up.

Just as an experiment, I just unplugged the S9, put the end of the hose in my mouth and inhaled and exhaled a bit. It was fairly easy to breathe in and out through the hose, through the machine, and out through the filter.

Even though it's not that hard, I am rebreathing my exhaled air, so it's still a concern.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-14-2012, 01:11 AM)BobF Wrote: I had my mask when I shut down my ResMed CPAP. It seemed that my breathing was completely blocked. Is there any danger of not being able to breathe when there is a power outage. Will your internal system tell you immediately that there is a problem and allow you to remove the mask, or is it possible that serious consequences could occur?

It seems that many humanoid-type creatures will be awakened if they can't breathe. Yeah yeah we're talking about sleep apnea, true, but sooner or later your system will have you take a breath. Unless you have a really severe case, perhaps. Check it out on another humanoid. They're sleeping. Hold their nose. They'll wake up. They won't be happy with you (or with me) but they'll wake up. Similar principle, in theory, with the power failure.

I am, however, one who has never had the pleasure Cool of being awakened due to a power failure. I also have no "safety" measures in place. It just seems logical that ---- without the power of the mask (nasal pillows, etc) sleep apnea will kick in and wake you up. If you're lucky, it won't be from you choking and gasping for air. That's what wakes me up if I forget to put my mask on.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Airsence 10 Date Resets after Power Outrage Khayyam Qaiser 2 217 01-26-2024, 12:12 PM
Last Post: Khayyam Qaiser
  Philips Respironics DreamStation check power Steve Foley 18 22,256 01-07-2024, 02:09 PM
Last Post: zebedee
  AirSense 10. Power cable broke on air tube connecting ring. Ruhtra 1 392 11-18-2023, 02:29 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Transcend (Somnetics) Micro Power Plug Size SteadyState 5 1,725 11-15-2023, 03:46 PM
Last Post: johnbrain
  AirCurve power problem Shamus54 10 942 10-30-2023, 07:13 PM
Last Post: Shamus54
  Resmed Airsense 11 blowing full power with no leaks bcodemz 2 844 10-29-2023, 07:57 PM
Last Post: bcodemz
  [Equipment] Portable Backup Power for Outages Craige 4 544 10-29-2023, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Craige

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.