Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Respironics Blue Gel Full Face Large
Humidifier: Built in
CPAP Pressure: 12.8
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments:

Sex: Male

What happens When the Power Goes Off?
I had my mask when I shut down my ResMed CPAP. It seemed that my breathing was completely blocked. Is there any danger of not being able to breathe when there is a power outage. Will your internal system tell you immediately that there is a problem and allow you to remove the mask, or is it possible that serious consequences could occur?

I have been thinking of buying a power outage detector that will sound an alarm on power outages if there is a potential serious problem.

Thanks, Bob.
11-14-2012 01:11 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
zonk Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: A10 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Activa LT
Humidifier: Integrated /ClimateLineAir
CPAP Pressure: 9/13

Other Comments: CPAP since Nov 2010

RE: What happens When the Power Goes Off?
Full face masks have an anti-asphyxia valve which allows you to breathe through ... in event of power failure

Its possible to re-breathe some of the exhaled air ... Don,t worry you would wake up to remove the mask ... in the nick of time Too-funny
Some sort of power outage detector alarm is good idea
(This post was last modified: 11-14-2012 01:30 AM by zonk.)
11-14-2012 01:25 AM
BobF Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed Airsense 10
Mask Make & Model: Respironics Blue Gel Full Face Large
Humidifier: Built in
CPAP Pressure: 12.8

Other Comments:

Hi Zonk. OK Thanks for the info. I have seen small power outage detectors at Amazon for around $15 + shipping. (Reliance Controls THP207). It has an audible alarm. I think I'll get one. Bob.
11-14-2012 02:21 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
archangle Offline
Wiki Editor
Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Swift FX
Humidifier: ResMed S9 H5i
CPAP Pressure: 16-20
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: Happy PAPper

Sex: Undisclosed

(11-14-2012 01:11 AM)BobF Wrote:  I had my mask when I shut down my ResMed CPAP. It seemed that my breathing was completely blocked. Is there any danger of not being able to breathe when there is a power outage. Will your internal system tell you immediately that there is a problem and allow you to remove the mask, or is it possible that serious consequences could occur?

I have been thinking of buying a power outage detector that will sound an alarm on power outages if there is a potential serious problem.

Thanks, Bob.

Experiment with it while you're awake. Unplug the CPAP, and put the mask on. There's a flapper valve that should open when there's no pressure and you should be breathing in and out through the hole in the mask, not through the hose. There may be a little resistance, but it shouldn't be that bad.

Even if the valve doesn't open, you should still be able to inhale and exhale, but you'll be blowing air back down the hose and through your CPAP machine. You'll be rebreathing a log of your exhaled air, so this is not a good thing.

Don't count on waking up if this is happening. Low O2/high CO2 can sometimes render you unconscious and you might not wake up. Most of us will probably wake up, but that's not guaranteed. People sometimes die in "confined spaces" in industrial situations because they pass out without ever realizing anything is wrong.

In theory, with a nasal mask, you'll automatically open your mouth to breathe if the machine fails.

Get the free SleepyHead software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
11-14-2012 05:03 AM
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

I have found that the S9s are very airtight machines. With my S7, I didn't often wake up as soon as the power went off, but rather several minutes. Or not at all. But with this S9, I am awake immediately because there's no air.

But as much as I hate that feeling, I think I would hate clinging to the ceiling with the power off alarm went off even more. I'd have to put it out in the living room or something.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
11-14-2012 10:38 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
Dawei Offline

Preferred Members-2

Mask Type: Other
Mask Make & Model: Respironics "FitLife"
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 10-20
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Began CPAP in 2006; spent the first 6 years with a "brick"

Never had any trouble breathing with the mask on when power went out, and that includes my present favorite mask which covers eyes, nose and mouth! Last time the power went out, I did wake up but it wasn't until awhile after the power died. I believe my subconscious became aware of the lack of pressurized air, but I was still breathing just fine. Same with a previous nasal mask (ResMed Activa) and a FFM (ResMed Quattro).
11-14-2012 05:24 PM
JudgeMental Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Respironics DreamStation Auto-CPAP
Mask Make & Model: Respironics Amara View
Humidifier: Respironics
CPAP Pressure: 11-14
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

From personal experience with a number of power outages, I was immediately awaken after only one breath. Shock

I normally use a Swift LT pillows mask w/ chin strap.

Yesterday is history; Tomorrow is a mystery; Today is a gift; Thats why its called "The Present".
11-14-2012 09:35 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
archangle Offline
Wiki Editor
Advisory Members

Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Swift FX
Humidifier: ResMed S9 H5i
CPAP Pressure: 16-20
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: Happy PAPper

I think I wake up pretty quickly too, but I have enough gadgets that beep, boop, or thump when the power goes out, I can't be that sure it's the CPAP that wakes me up.

Just as an experiment, I just unplugged the S9, put the end of the hose in my mouth and inhaled and exhaled a bit. It was fairly easy to breathe in and out through the hose, through the machine, and out through the filter.

Even though it's not that hard, I am rebreathing my exhaled air, so it's still a concern.

Get the free SleepyHead software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
(This post was last modified: 11-15-2012 12:08 AM by archangle.)
11-15-2012 12:06 AM
Ugly Offline

Preferred Members

Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Micro
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 7-14
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Hydrocephalus, myopia, depression, chronic ugliness, stupidity, tinnitus, mixed sleep apnea.

(11-14-2012 01:11 AM)BobF Wrote:  I had my mask when I shut down my ResMed CPAP. It seemed that my breathing was completely blocked. Is there any danger of not being able to breathe when there is a power outage. Will your internal system tell you immediately that there is a problem and allow you to remove the mask, or is it possible that serious consequences could occur?

It seems that many humanoid-type creatures will be awakened if they can't breathe. Yeah yeah we're talking about sleep apnea, true, but sooner or later your system will have you take a breath. Unless you have a really severe case, perhaps. Check it out on another humanoid. They're sleeping. Hold their nose. They'll wake up. They won't be happy with you (or with me) but they'll wake up. Similar principle, in theory, with the power failure.

I am, however, one who has never had the pleasure Cool of being awakened due to a power failure. I also have no "safety" measures in place. It just seems logical that ---- without the power of the mask (nasal pillows, etc) sleep apnea will kick in and wake you up. If you're lucky, it won't be from you choking and gasping for air. That's what wakes me up if I forget to put my mask on.
11-18-2012 12:53 PM

Donate to Apnea Board

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Insurance won't pay for power cord? CharlotteYork 13 897 11-17-2016 11:58 PM
Last Post: tzk321
Idea ResMed S8 repair for no power SuperSleeper 4 257 11-17-2016 02:41 PM
Last Post: 10bigal10
  Power Outage: Stay Awake Or Sleep W/O CPAP? player 11 713 10-26-2016 08:29 PM
Last Post: sonicboom
  WINTER COMING....POWER OUTAGES??? giftofsleep 2 324 10-06-2016 06:52 PM
Last Post: justMongo
  DreamStation power supply Bouncer334 4 559 09-03-2016 11:07 AM
Last Post: Perchas
  [Equipment] Camping for 7 days - AirCurve 10 ASV - battery power? Grooves McFly 21 2,772 08-31-2016 01:29 AM
Last Post: Maskup Sleepwell
Surprised [Equipment] Emergency backup power Marthajoy7 9 601 08-21-2016 10:00 AM
Last Post: icyura10