Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

What happens if your machine breaks?
What happens if your machine breaks?
Had a scare last night when my machine wouldn't come on.  Turned out the cord had been knocked out of the power strip by the cleaning lady Huh
All was good but made me wonder what happens if your machine breaks? (assuming you have insurance (I'm in the US)).

Anyone go as far as to have a spare machine as a backup?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: What happens if your machine breaks?
Some do. A good way to get a backup is buy a used one on craigslist.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Many of us have a backup machine, and mine has come in handy when the power supply failed. Now I have a backup machine and a backup power supply.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a backup APAP (i am on a BiPAP right now, but i know i can tolerate the APAP for a night or two). If you are worried (and i value my health enough for this), definately spend some money and put an extra on stand by. Also, there are shops out there that will repair them, but that will still leave you without one in the meantime.
Post Reply Post Reply
I can't stand the thought of being without cpap. I have a backup. The wife has a backup. My dad now has a backup. And, I leave the machine that I use daily at home on the night stand. I travel with the backup because it's less expensive and the odds of damaging the machine are greater when traveling.

I don't sleep well traveling anyway, so an older machine works fine.
Jesse

Post Reply Post Reply
Ya, if my machine broke, I would just sit here and stay awake until Apria brought me a new one.
-- Rich
Links to Download OSCAR here
OSCAR Installation and Setup

Using Attachments to Post Images on Apnea Board

INFORMATION ON FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Wouldn't be without a back up machine. I'm on the rode right now with two back up machines. One for use in the hotel rooms and another for use in the vehicle. Buy on craigslist if you feel comfortable going that route. It requires some work, and there is a risk, but it can be very economical. I even sold one of the machines I bought in a "bundle" after I found out it wasn't right for me.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have an AirMini just in case to keep me alive for a few days if I had to buy a new main unit. I also have solar panels and weeks worth of cpap energy storage.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a backup and my wife has a backup.
I feel more secure. Even though we would survive without one for a while why worry about it.
Post Reply Post Reply
speed3914,
No gain in worrying about this, but seriously start to think about acquiring a backup machine.
It doesn’t have to be the latest and greatest, but one that can get you through an emergency.

Do your research...check places like Craig’s list, Amazon, Supplier #2.  Just be sure it doesn’t have a ton of hours on it and it wasn’t used around smokers.  And always replace hoses and filters if you purchase used.

Another thing to consider is start building up a backup of supplies, like extra hoses, at least one extra power brick (especially if you travel), and have an extra mask on hand.  

If you have insurance, this is easily done when it is time to replace supplies.  

I have a backup machine and am now considering another for travel.  Will be visiting relatives in Seattle later in the year.  I try not to be paranoid over it, but I know I wouldn’t do well for even one night without Cpap.

If your machine breaks for any reason, and unless you have a backup, you will be without a machine until it is either repaired or replaced.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 283 262,153 11-10-2023, 10:24 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  machine died! Now new doctor and new machine Bjazzman 17 6,791 09-05-2022, 09:07 PM
Last Post: NValtman11
  [CPAP] Using SoClean Machine with CPAP Machine ronald1810 4 1,320 06-01-2022, 10:18 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  Pin from power plug stuck in machine ResMed cpap machine B10576 12 6,753 04-08-2018, 08:24 PM
Last Post: Hellodare
Question Help, why so many breaks in treatment each night? KatyDid 2 1,254 11-13-2017, 10:49 PM
Last Post: KatyDid
  [Equipment] same part breaks on Philips Wisp frame okieman 14 4,980 02-27-2016, 12:39 PM
Last Post: okieman
  Forgot to put card back in machine, is there a way to copy it from machine to card? Marnid2014 6 6,249 04-06-2014, 08:54 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.