Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

What happens if your machine breaks?
RE: What happens if your machine breaks?
(05-21-2018, 06:18 PM)speed3914 Wrote: ... Turned out the cord had been knocked out of the power strip by the cleaning lady Huh
All was good but made me wonder what happens if your machine breaks? ...

I think the others have answered you thoughtfully based on experience; even second hand (anecdotally happens a lot on this forum, one of its strengths IYAM) is useful.

I am remarking on your finding above.  Many of us travel, or we arise in a groggy state to head to the toilet.  It's a recipe for a costly lesson if you trip over the hose or power cord and hurt yourself, or drag your machine, filled with water, across its perch and onto the floor.  The dislodged power cord is merely a reminder that our costly machines are vulnerable all the time, less so when inserted into a drawer.  Even then, a person thoughtlessly slamming the drawer closed and ruining the power cord, or worse, shorting it internally.....yeah, things can go horribly wrong in an instant.
Post Reply Post Reply
I didn't have a back up machine for years, but I suffered for it and was let down a lot by machines.
I would get a back up if I were you, it always breaks down when it is the start of a weekend and when there is no help to be had.
Four day without a machine is not good news and it might be worse in some countries where they repair your own machine and you have to wait.
Now I have a back up machine, the machine I have will fail when I an away and have no access to the back up, but that is sods law!
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
The back up machine I have at present is a straight CPAP brick that will get me by in a pinch. As long as I am at home I also have sort of a network of fellow CPAP users who also have back ups. When away from home I have no back up plan so depending on location and duration of trip it may be an issue. Something to think about. For me and maybe others the requirement for supplementary O2 while sleeping may be more of a concern since a back up O2 concenrtator is more of a challenge. 

Stan
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a backup machine, purchased used ($150 with zero hours), that is the same model as the one I normally use. Some people don't want to buy a backup machine because to them, it's a waste of money since the chance of failure before they are eligible for another machine is small. In that case, get a copy of your prescription and send it to your chosen online DME. If your machine breaks down and you need a replacement, you can then order it and have it shipped overnight. At most, you would be without a machine 4 days. This is certainly a valid choice.

Just be aware that if your machine fails you, your DME isn't going to provide you a rental machine unless you haven't completed original compliance. It can take 2 weeks to 2 months to get your machine fixed. The DMEs that will say - hey it's broke, here's a new machine - right away are few and far between.

As to repairs, if your machine breaks within the warranty period, you bring it to your DME and they arrange for the repair/replacement. If you have Medicare, same thing (covered to 5 years!). If you have other insurance, call them.

BTW, if you lose your machine or it's stolen, it's almost worthless to claim it on your homeowners/renter's insurance. Too many people have been dropped when making small claims.
Post Reply Post Reply
I decided after nearly 2 years of CPAP that I couldn't do without a back-up.  I have just bought a second identical machine and will will use both machines on a couple of months rotation.  One advantage is hopefully the machines will last longer and it will be a long time before I need another new one.
Post Reply Post Reply
Quick question: If I order one on Craigslist do I merely search for the same model I have now? If so, how would I set the machine to the same settings that I currently have?

I don’t have a backup, but after reading this thread I think wisdom says it’s time to get one!

Seems like I read about a travel CPAP that automatically adjusts to your breathing patterns?
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-23-2018, 03:30 AM)Homeskillet Wrote: Quick question:  If I order one on Craigslist do I merely search for the same model I have now?  If so, how would I set the machine to the same settings that I currently have?  

At the top of the page is a link for "CPAP Setup Manuals"; use that. On that page, first find the section headed "Philips-Respironics DreamStation Series Machines" and read & save it. Then scroll down to the section about requesting clinician manuals by e-mail, find the exact model name of your Dreamstation there, and follow the directions in that section for requesting the PDF. Also, it's a good idea to update your profile with the exact model; just "Dreamstation" isn't specific enough.

For any other machine, follow the same procedure on the "CPAP Setup Manuals" page but use that make & model name.

About buying a backup machine: IMAO, the replacement should be the same kind if and only if you are completely happy with it, and that takes some time to figure out (at least days or weeks of using the machine and possibly tweaking it, at least the comfort settings). If there's anything about it that you aren't comfortable with, then consider buying a different brand the second time around. In any case, be sure to read this wiki page before buying: http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_choices

One thing that works in this case, although I certainly wouldn't recommend "the tyranny of the majority" in most other cases, is to look in people's sidebars as you read through this forum, and remember what machines they're using. Certain makes & models will pop up over and over, so it'll be no trouble to remember those. Then, after you have collected a large enough number of samples, take the name at the top of that list by popularity, and buy one of those machines! Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-23-2018, 03:30 AM)Homeskillet Wrote: Seems like I read about a travel CPAP that automatically adjusts to your breathing patterns?

Adjusting to breathing patterns in this case merely means APAP, I assume, which is not a rare feature. Generally, just look for the keyword "Auto" in the model name or "APAP" on the spec sheet.

However, all four (as I think it is now) of the travel machines have some serious or potentially serious problems, with the problems differing from one make & model to another. With travel machines in particular, it's essential to read all the reviews you can find, especially on this board, possibly elsewhere on the web also, before taking the thing (specific make & model) seriously enough to buy one. The price is so high that if you're paying out of pocket (and will any insurance provider approve the purchase of a travel CPAP machine on insurance to begin with?) that you owe it to yourself to do the research first and figure out whether you might be buying something you'll regret.
Post Reply Post Reply
Q: "What happens if your machine breaks?"

A: It quits working. Your sleep goes to crapeau.

By all means, get a backup. And a backup to the backup if you can.

OMMOHY
There.  I said it.

OMMOHY
Contrarian in Residence  
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-23-2018, 07:24 AM)OMyMyOHellYes Wrote: By all means, get a backup.  And a backup to the backup if you can.

Huh. I thought I was the only one who was that cautious ... or extravagant.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 283 262,147 11-10-2023, 10:24 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  machine died! Now new doctor and new machine Bjazzman 17 6,790 09-05-2022, 09:07 PM
Last Post: NValtman11
  [CPAP] Using SoClean Machine with CPAP Machine ronald1810 4 1,320 06-01-2022, 10:18 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  Pin from power plug stuck in machine ResMed cpap machine B10576 12 6,753 04-08-2018, 08:24 PM
Last Post: Hellodare
Question Help, why so many breaks in treatment each night? KatyDid 2 1,254 11-13-2017, 10:49 PM
Last Post: KatyDid
  [Equipment] same part breaks on Philips Wisp frame okieman 14 4,980 02-27-2016, 12:39 PM
Last Post: okieman
  Forgot to put card back in machine, is there a way to copy it from machine to card? Marnid2014 6 6,249 04-06-2014, 08:54 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.