Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Poll: What have you done to deal with mouth leak?
This poll is closed.
Chin Strap
51.85%
14 51.85%
Tape
3.70%
1 3.70%
Both Strap & Tape
7.41%
2 7.41%
Changed masks
14.81%
4 14.81%
Changed sleeping position
7.41%
2 7.41%
Other
14.81%
4 14.81%
Total 27 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

What have you done to deal with mouth leak?
What have you done to deal with mouth leak?
Mouth leak reduces the effect of CPAP therapy and disrupts sleep architecture.
So what have you done to deal with mouth leak?

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: What have you done to deal with mouth leak?
Trying to work on that now. So frustrating. Used 2 different chin straps, taping. Tonight I am trying a full face mask again but I haven't had god luck with it in the past...
Post Reply Post Reply
Taping is very dangerous. There's a safe way to do it, though. Chin-Up Strips are marketed as a snoring preventative in the UK. After I saw a video of how to put one on, I made my own out of three strips of tape, made into a "U" shape. I tried it one night, but took it off after a while. Too uncomfortable. The idea is to lift the lower lip upward, making it harder to open the mouth.

The chin strap worked for me for a while, a couple of weeks I think, and then I didn't need it anymore.

I trained myself to keep my tongue up against the roof of my mouth, behind the front teeth. I even practiced it in the daytime, too.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Tried various chin straps for several years before latching on the Optilife mask. It has a built-in positioning strap that goes around your chin and doubles as a chin strap. Cool
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
Had pillows 9 years and they were great but now on full face since mouth flaps open. Chin strap didn't work plus felt like head was in a vice. Best of luck -it was a huge problem for me
Post Reply Post Reply
After waking up 5 or 6 times per night with dry mouth I broke down and got a chin strap. I'm not at all certain that this is THE chin strap, but it does solve the problem so I suppose now it's just a matter of finding a more comfortable one.
Post Reply Post Reply
I choose "other" because I tried everything on the list as well as making a mouthpiece to keep the tongue positioned to help seal the mouthleak. I have not decided what my final solution will be yet. The mouthpiece works well and allows me to wear the nasal pillows with low leaks instead of wearing the full face mask. The full face mask is not as comfortable but I dont have to wear a mouthpiece to prevent the mouthleaks.
"Goodnight Chesty wherever you are!"
Post Reply Post Reply
I've always used chinstrap with my Activa LT over a year ago and never looked at Quattro again :grin:

Post Reply Post Reply
On looking at my data I kept seeing a pattern on leaks and it was quite strange but then I solved it, and it made me laugh Too-funny
I can tell by looking at my data if I had shaved or not Oh-jeez Laugh-a-lot

Couldnt quite believe it but stubble does effect your leakage and thats a fact Too-funny
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-03-2012, 04:55 AM)Dreamcatcher Wrote: On looking at my data I kept seeing a pattern on leaks and it was quite strange but then I solved it, and it made me laugh Too-funny
I can tell by looking at my data if I had shaved or not Oh-jeez Laugh-a-lot

Couldnt quite believe it but stubble does effect your leakage and thats a fact Too-funny

I scuba dive, and have a full beard and moustache, so it didn't even occur to me that my cpap mask *wouldn't* leak around the moustache... scuba masks always do unless I trim the mustache and/or shave a bit along the top, right under my nose, to allow a good seal. So I sort of did that automatically when I started CPAP... right up til the point that I hadn't shaved that line under my nose for a couple nights and didn't see any leaks reported. Today, I've not trimmed my moustache at all for more then a month, and still no leaks. Activa LT nasal mask, I love it. :-)

Now if only I could talk ResMed into making dive masks with the same seal. :-P

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 33 9 hours ago
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 374 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 9 242 Yesterday, 06:16 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,411 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  Rate my Resmed 10 VAuto deal from FB GrandCentral 18 858 03-23-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 317 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 230 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.