Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

What have you done to make cpap comfortable?
What have you done to make cpap comfortable?
[parts of this thread were copied from the old forum]

Quote:Dave L Wrote:
Jan 9 2007, 08:08 AM Post #1

I've used cpap for about 5 years. Issues? mask sometimes leaks. Noise...and recently pulled my cpap off the bed side table.

Appreciate any hints!

Regards,
Dave

Quote:ConnCarl Wrote:

Jan 9 2007, 04:15 PM Post #2

Quote:Dave LI've used cpap for about 5 years. Issues? mask sometimes leaks. Noise...and recently pulled my cpap off the bed side table.

Speaking for myself, Dave, I find that if I don't clean my mask seal pretty regularly, the leaks get much worse. If I forget to do it in the morning, though, I know it won't dry in time for me to use it at night. One trick I've used is to keep some baby wipes on the night stand for a quick cleaning of the seal. It works fairly well.

Yeah, I've knocked my machine off the nightstand, too. One fix you could try is to use some Fun-Tak reusable adhesive (that sticky blue stuff) to anchor it. The hose would probably come off before the machine would move again.

Just my 2¢.

Carl

"You knew the job was dangerous when you took it, Fred." - Superchicken

Quote:boosted wrote:

Jan 10 2007, 01:29 AM Post #3

It took me about a year and a half until I could actually use my Cpap for the complete night. I did a bunch of searching on different forums and found some things that helped me.

Pillow
I use a tempurpedic pillow. I sleep on the wrong side of the tempurpedic pillow for comfort. I find that because I am fat, when my head is lifted too much it is harder to breath. Your neck should be on the large hump of the pillow. I use the small hump of the pillow.

Mask
I went through 3 different masks to find one that is comfortable.

Respironics Gel Nasal - Would not seal
Respironics Full Face II - Would not seal
Resmed Mirage Swift Pillow System - Sleep at last!

The only thing I do not like about this mask is the relief air or used air comes out the front. I like to sleep on my stomach/face so this mask does not work well. I found one that releases to the side but I forget what it was called.

I had a problem with snoring/breathing through my mouth while trying to adjust to the nasal mask. I purchased a chin strap but found between the chin straps and head gear I had too much stuff on my head. I got rid of the chin strap. Somehow I was able to train myself to keep my mouth closed and breath through my nose.

Sleep Preperation
I would watch TV with the mask and machine on so I could get used to it. The most important thing I did as far as getting ready for bed is to lay in bed get comfortable, and let my heart rate drop to normal levels. I find it hard to breath with the Cpap when I am slightly out of breath. I know this sounds odd but it works for me.

Machine
I use a Remstar Auto with C-flex and Heated Humidifier. I initially needed the C-flex but as I got used to the Cpap I do not like the C-flex and do not use it. The Heated humidifier is a must. The air felt cold as it hit my nostrals so I finnally figured out how to adjust the heat.

Pressure
I was intially set to a 12.5 but I find that 14.0 is more comfortable and gives me a better nights sleep. I know you should stick with the suggested setting but it like the higher pressure.

Hose
I run my hose over my headboard so it keeps it out of my way. I keep my machine on the nightstand and have no problems knocking it off the stand. I think the hose going over the headboard is what saves me there.

I went through a several little comfort issues until I finally got to the point where I love this machine!

Quote:tangents wrote:

Mar 6 2007, 10:45 AM Post #4

There's some really good suggestions here! I'm going to print this out so that I have them handy when I start using my CPAP. Thanks for the ideas - this forum is great.

Quote:glen4linux wrote:

Mar 7 2007, 07:56 PM Post #5

As far as routing of the hose to keep it out of the way, I found a device on E-Bay that the guy builds out of PVC pipe and fittings that has a bottom "foot" that goes under the front of your mattress, and a single tube leading to a hanger type rod.

In looking at this, it would be super simple to build your own.

I am getting my machine tomorrow so, I will need to find some sort of way to situate it. My bedside table is barly big enough for the alarm clock and a trimline phone, so we will see what I can do to get mine set.

Quote:tangents wrote:
Mar 8 2007, 07:11 AM Post #6

Hi glen4linux! I get my CPAP today too. I'm so thankful to have made it to this morning - I know it may be irrational, but I was fearful that I would croak before the medical process got me to this point. Good luck with your CPAP and your tubing. I haven't figured out my hose routing yet, but my husband is pretty clever with those things - and the weekend is coming - Thank God. Let me know how things go.

Quote:zonk wrote:
Nov 23 2011, 03:16 AM Post #7

Quote:tangents
There's some really good suggestions here! I'm going to print this out so that I have them handy when I start using my CPAP. Thanks for the ideas - this forum is great.

I agree even it is over 4 years old thread , there is something doesn,t change with times .

Quote:bobg1946
Nov 23 2011, 11:41 PM Post #8

I keep my CPAP under my bed and run the 10' hose up and over/through the headboard. This way it can not fall off of anything, it's out of site, and the bed provides extra muffling of the any sounds.
Bob. G

Quote:PaulaO Wrote:
Nov 24 2011, 10:43 AM Post #9

I have dogs and cats. No way would I put my machine on the floor. The filters are bad enough with it up where it is now!

Quote:SuperSleeper Wrote:

Nov 24 2011, 10:59 AM Post #10

Quote:PaulaO
Nov 24 2011, 10:43 AM
I have dogs and cats. No way would I put my machine on the floor. The filters are bad enough with it up where it is now!Our dog likes to wake me up in the morning by licking my face mask where the air comes out and tries to "bite at" the air coming out. Slobbery, shocking and startling, for sure.

Zonk: man, you sure know how to resurrect an old thread... this one is from 2007.

As for making CPAP more comfortable... lately it seems I'm so dead-tired when I hit the bed that I don't have time to think about comfort or noises or anything else... didn't used to be that way, but now that I'm closing in on 50 years old, I take about 10 seconds to get to sleep after putting on my mask.

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
http://www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

DONATE to Apnea Board

Change your own pressure - Get the Clinician Setup Manual for your CPAP here

Quote:zimlich wrote:
Nov 24 2011, 11:31 AM Post #11

Luckily thanks to a well fitting mask my CPAP is pretty comfortable. The headgear for my mask is too bit so I wear a kufi cap on the crown of my head to take up the slack in the straps. Luckily I have a fairly low pressure of 9.

This really is an old thread!

Nov 24 2011, 08:20 PM Post #12

Masks are a very personal issue. What works for me probably would not work for you and if it did, it would most likely be for different reasons.

That said, these two masks are very different. Have you ever tried a nasal pillow mask? See if the supplier can loan you one to try out. Nearly all of them do, with loan periods of two weeks to a month.

Quote:bandit-333 wrote:

Dec 9 2011, 10:15 AM Post #15

Quote:PaulaO
Masks are a very personal issue. What works for me probably would not work for you and if it did, it would most likely be for different reasons.

That said, these two masks are very different. Have you ever tried a nasal pillow mask? See if the supplier can loan you one to try out. Nearly all of them do, with loan periods of two weeks to a month.

Hi PaulaO,
Thanks for your response our cpap dealers wont let you loan masks here in Aus as the claim they cant resell them, I rekon their just to tight in the pocket they want $270 for the swift fx pillow so I will buy one on ebay from the states for $100 and see how I go, just not sure about the pressure if I need to change it higher or lower
Thanks again
Shane from Aus
Edited by bandit-333, Dec 9 2011, 10:32 AM.
This post is a natural product. The slight variations in spelling and 
grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way 
are to be considered flaws or defects.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: What have you done to make cpap comfortable?

Dec 9 2011, 02:21 PM Post #16

Change the pressure because of the change of masks? No, you don't need to change the pressure because of that.
This post is a natural product. The slight variations in spelling and 
grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way 
are to be considered flaws or defects.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hope you don,t mind another Bump2

Here is a nightstand from IKEA "NORDLI" priced at $79.99 might work for your PAP (Power strip sold separately)
[Image: nordli-nightstand__0145896_PE305040_S4.JPG] - [Image: nordli-nightstand__0145895_PE305039_S4.JPG]

Designer: Ola Wihlborg (Just in case you want to know)

Product dimensions
Width: 11 3/4 "
Width of drawer: 9 "
Depth: 19 5/8 "
Width: 30 cm
Width of drawer: 23 cm
Depth: 50 cm
This product requires assembly

Key features
- On the hidden shelf is room for an outlet strip for your chargers.
- The cable to the outlet can be hidden in the groove along the table leg.
- In the drawer is a removable insert where you can put all your small things.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks I am new to the apap machine still don't have a handle on it at all!! this thread & others I hope others will help me out. thanks y'all
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-24-2012, 10:15 PM)HILLTOPPER Wrote: Thanks I am new to the apap machine still don't have a handle on it at all!! this thread & others I hope others will help me out. thanks y'all
Welcome to Apnea Board, HILLTOPPER
Just in case you didn't know, The provider manual available via Email (scroll down section three)
http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pr...tup-manual

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 34 1,032 04-03-2024, 10:26 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Not sure what to make of my OSCAR data Machinist 3 259 03-10-2024, 09:14 PM
Last Post: Machinist
  Can someone help me make sense of my Therapy Numbers? kc90 6 396 02-21-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: kc90
  What is the most comfortable pressure and settings if comfort is the only goal? hejohoo 2 349 01-20-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Idea Tell me how you've Modified your P10 to make it VENT more Hydrangea 47 6,584 01-13-2024, 04:53 PM
Last Post: her.suit
Exclaimation SSRI's Can Make it Worse.. AlaskanJaeger 3 612 12-17-2023, 11:57 AM
Last Post: tiredpanda
  Comfortable adjustment with Evora FFM Columbiabill 3 453 12-15-2023, 10:38 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.