Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Resmed AirFit F10
Humidifier: H5i heated humidifer
CPAP Pressure: 5 exhale/9 inhale
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Male
RE: What if I can't access SleepyHead?
nightflight, if you're up for some reading and messing around with technology you can install Linux on the chromebook and run sleepyhead from there. It does work well on Linux. I haven't tried it personally but I do have linux installed on mine using crouton and use it for programming.
08-13-2014 08:48 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
nightflight Offline

Members-b

Machine: Philips System One
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: unsure
Humidifier: unsure
CPAP Pressure: unsure
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments:

How about this. I buy a refurbished laptop; I've seen some that are around $100. I would only use it for the sleephead software.

So would a really cheap computer be able to handle Sleepyhead?
09-01-2014 11:44 AM
JJJ Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: Most recent: Wisp, Pilairo, Mirage Vista
Humidifier: ResMed S9 Autoset
CPAP Pressure: 17-20

Other Comments:

(09-01-2014 11:44 AM)nightflight Wrote:  How about this. I buy a refurbished laptop; I've seen some that are around $100. I would only use it for the sleephead software. So would a really cheap computer be able to handle Sleepyhead?

SleepyHead is only around 10 MB for the executable so, yeah, even an older computer that is underpowered by today's standards would be fine.

I would check your local Craigslist or equivalent. You might be able to do better than $100. But there are a couple things to think about:

1) If it's Windows or Mac, does it come with the OS and a license? If it does not, you can still install Linux (I can help with that), so if the price is right it still might be a good deal even without the OS.
2) Does it have an SD card reader? Most laptops these days do; most desktops do not. You can get a USB adapter on Amazon for $2, so it's not a big deal, but it would be convenient if it does.
09-01-2014 01:46 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
archangle Offline
Wiki Editor
Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Swift FX
Humidifier: ResMed S9 H5i
CPAP Pressure: 16-20
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: Happy PAPper

Sex: Undisclosed

(08-12-2014 10:39 AM)JJJ Wrote:  As others have pointed out, you cannot run Windows apps directly on a Chromebook. However, it is possible to install Windows as a virtual machine on a Chromebook and then run Windows apps in the virtual machine. Unfortunately, installing Windows in a virtual machine is not trivial, although I understand that VMWare has simplified the process. Also, although there is a free version of VMWare, to install Windows requires a license, and the license for recent versions of Windows do not allow it to be installed as a virtual machine.

Do you have to "jailbreak" it to do that? My limited understanding is that Chromebooks are locked down to some extent to keep you from running "unapproved" programs.

Get the free SleepyHead software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
(This post was last modified: 09-01-2014 03:25 PM by archangle.)
09-01-2014 03:25 PM
JJJ Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: Most recent: Wisp, Pilairo, Mirage Vista
Humidifier: ResMed S9 Autoset
CPAP Pressure: 17-20

Other Comments:

(09-01-2014 03:25 PM)archangle Wrote:  Do you have to "jailbreak" it to do that? My limited understanding is that Chromebooks are locked down to some extent to keep you from running "unapproved" programs.

No. The usual way that a vendor locks down an OS is to create a locked bootloader that allows booting only the vendor's OS. In the case of the Chromebook that would be the ChromeOS. The ChromeOS isn't locked in the usual sense, it's just that it is more or less just a web browser. Running most programs doesn't work, not because it is forbidden, but because it would be like trying to run a program in, say, Firefox. And, as for the bootloader, I don't believe it is locked, because I know people who have installed Linux on a Chromebook.

As far as I know you can run the VMWare vitrual machine app in the ChromeOS. How VMWare accomplished that, I don't know.
09-01-2014 04:32 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Labrat0116 Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: RESPIRONICS DS950HS SV System One 50 Series
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Quattro
Humidifier: RESPIRONICS
CPAP Pressure: 7-15
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments: Complex (Central and Obstructive) Sleep Apnea, Type 2 Diabetic

What about those of us where the Sleepyhead program is corrupted and can NOT use it ?

Can we Email/PM someone with our SD Card's data, have them download it to their Sleephead program, decipher it and then Email/PM back to us ? I don't believe there is any Private data collected on the SD card so that should not be an issue.

???
09-03-2014 01:51 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Can't access AirSense 10 clinical settings anymore edelagrave 10 1,087 06-09-2016 11:57 PM
Last Post: chill
  multiday backpack with no access to electricity? theoconbrio 8 735 02-21-2016 05:14 PM
Last Post: archangle
  Cannot access detailed graphs in ResMed software Marnid2014 6 1,427 04-07-2014 06:05 PM
Last Post: Marnid2014
  Getting access to your prescription (Rx) HoseHead58 5 2,001 11-28-2013 05:39 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Philips Restironics 60 Series BiPAP Auto SV Clinicians access Richg44006 2 1,799 09-29-2013 10:43 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  how to access clinical menu on ResMed VPAP ST-A slp38238 3 2,387 09-16-2013 06:54 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  [CPAP] How do I access the motor on a Resmed S7? marcurelio 6 4,067 09-14-2013 09:42 PM
Last Post: Paptillian