Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

What if I can't access SleepyHead?
What if I can't access SleepyHead?
I don't think it will work on a Chromebook. I downloaded it but could not figure out how to open it.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: What if I can't access SleepyHead?
I,m not sure about Chromebook, have you tried EncoreBasic?
The link is in ' Private Files and Links'
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-11-2014, 12:34 AM)zonk Wrote: I,m not sure about Chromebook, have you tried EncoreBasic?
Encore Basic is only going to work on a Windows PC.

Question about the Chromebook: Does it have an SD card and/or a USB slot? If so, then at least you'll be able to use the manufacturer's web-based patient app---SleepSeeker for Resmed and SleepMapper for PR---to check the data. Neither program will give you much more information that is available directly on the machine's LCD, however, but they can give you a nice graphical overview of long term therapy data broken down by days.
Questions about SleepyHead?  
See my Guide to SleepyHead
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-11-2014, 07:36 AM)robysue Wrote:
(08-11-2014, 12:34 AM)zonk Wrote: I,m not sure about Chromebook, have you tried EncoreBasic?

Question about the Chromebook: Does it have an SD card and/or a USB slot? If so, then at least you'll be able to use the manufacturer's web-based patient app---SleepSeeker for Resmed and SleepMapper for PR---to check the data. Neither program will give you much more information that is available directly on the machine's LCD, however, but they can give you a nice graphical overview of long term therapy data broken down by days.

Yes, in fact there is a slot and I have a SD card. I'll start using it in my machine tonight.

thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-11-2014, 12:30 AM)nightflight Wrote: I don't think it will work on a Chromebook. I downloaded it but could not figure out how to open it.

I would not expect it to work in a Chromebook. A Chromebook is NOT a computer - it is just a hardware version of the Chrome browser.

The good: cheaper, simpler, no Windows to get infected with viruses.

The bad: If you can't do it in a browser, you can't do it on a Chromebook.
A.Becker
PAPing in NE Ohio, with a pack of Cairn terriers
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-11-2014, 07:36 AM)robysue Wrote:
From windows: Chromebooks vs. Windows laptops

A Chromebook is for surfing the web and using web apps.

A Windows laptop is for surfing the web and using web apps. And getting things done with Microsoft Office*, connecting to workplace networks, using rich tools to edit your photos and videos online and offline, calling your friend with Skype*, saving your resume to either OneDrive or your desktop, downloading games from the Windows Store, using both the Start screen and the familiar Windows desktop, organising your files on your laptop for easy access even when you're offline, working both online and offline, using iTunes and Photoshop*, and countless other things you get only with a full-powered PC.

*Some apps and programs (including Office) may be sold separately; Internet access required for some functionality.

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-11-2014, 03:01 PM)becker44a Wrote:
(08-11-2014, 12:30 AM)nightflight Wrote: I don't think it will work on a Chromebook. I downloaded it but could not figure out how to open it.

I would not expect it to work in a Chromebook. A Chromebook is NOT a computer - it is just a hardware version of the Chrome browser.

The good: cheaper, simpler, no Windows to get infected with viruses.

The bad: If you can't do it in a browser, you can't do it on a Chromebook.

I am pretty sure that the Chomebook I have is a computer. It has a SSD, processor, GPU, etc. It just has some limits. It can run software offline. However, it can no longer sideload software.

So, if I wanted Sleepyhead on it (totally possible), I would need to install it from the Chrome Web Store. Hopefully jedimark will compile and submit it at some point. I wouldn't want to do that myself, since it isn't my program.

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-11-2014, 08:18 PM)dakuda Wrote: . . .
I am pretty sure that the Chomebook I have is a computer. It has a SSD, processor, GPU, etc. It just has some limits. It can run software offline. However, it can no longer sideload software.

So, if I wanted Sleepyhead on it (totally possible), I would need to install it from the Chrome Web Store. Hopefully jedimark will compile and submit it at some point. I wouldn't want to do that myself, since it isn't my program.

Yes, of course it is a computer, with a disk drive, RAM, etc. But it is restricted to running a single program - Chrome. You can go to any site that displays and operates in Chrome (most of them now). But you cannot download, install, and operate any arbitrary program, as is possible on a standard computer (laptop, notebook, desktop, Mac, Windows, Linux . . .). The benefit of this is that the underlying OS of a normal computer simply isn't there, so there is nothing for the virus makers to attack. I'm sure they'll get around to building something to interfere with Chrome itself, but if they succeed, a simple reboot will destroy the compromised Chrome, and bring up a fresh one.

For JediMark to make Sleepyhead available in a browser environment would require throwing away most of the code, and starting over. The fundamental assumptions of these environments are so different that not much could be saved. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for that to happen, especially as the program is still in beta status.
A.Becker
PAPing in NE Ohio, with a pack of Cairn terriers
Post Reply Post Reply

As others have pointed out, you cannot run Windows apps directly on a Chromebook. However, it is possible to install Windows as a virtual machine on a Chromebook and then run Windows apps in the virtual machine. Unfortunately, installing Windows in a virtual machine is not trivial, although I understand that VMWare has simplified the process. Also, although there is a free version of VMWare, to install Windows requires a license, and the license for recent versions of Windows do not allow it to be installed as a virtual machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'll just do without and hope for the best.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do Doctors Even Have Access to Flow Limits Info? paulag1955 16 694 01-17-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: dataq1
  Luna G3: Key sequence to access clinician (technician) menu? shu246 3 1,747 04-30-2023, 06:31 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  [Equipment] Telemed Dr. has access to my machine. How can I change this? Mindbullets 10 1,681 03-03-2022, 01:07 PM
Last Post: jft60451
  [split] How to access Airsense 11 Expiratory pressure relief (EPR™) settings stevekuk 9 7,006 01-13-2022, 02:07 PM
Last Post: ScottZZZ
  How to access Airsense 10 Expiratory pressure relief (EPR™) settings CCDrogan 5 9,605 01-13-2022, 11:23 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Purchased Machine Online - Dr. wants access to ResMed data via server xhwmikey 2 805 12-20-2021, 06:40 PM
Last Post: xhwmikey
  [CPAP] Help me push: DS2 and our right to access our own sleep data fillmore50 26 2,337 10-27-2021, 04:47 PM
Last Post: StratCat48

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.