Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

What if I can't access SleepyHead?
RE: What if I can't access SleepyHead?
nightflight, if you're up for some reading and messing around with technology you can install Linux on the chromebook and run sleepyhead from there. It does work well on Linux. I haven't tried it personally but I do have linux installed on mine using crouton and use it for programming.
Post Reply Post Reply
How about this. I buy a refurbished laptop; I've seen some that are around $100. I would only use it for the sleephead software.

So would a really cheap computer be able to handle Sleepyhead?
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-01-2014, 11:44 AM)nightflight Wrote: How about this. I buy a refurbished laptop; I've seen some that are around $100. I would only use it for the sleephead software. So would a really cheap computer be able to handle Sleepyhead?

SleepyHead is only around 10 MB for the executable so, yeah, even an older computer that is underpowered by today's standards would be fine.

I would check your local Craigslist or equivalent. You might be able to do better than $100. But there are a couple things to think about:

1) If it's Windows or Mac, does it come with the OS and a license? If it does not, you can still install Linux (I can help with that), so if the price is right it still might be a good deal even without the OS.
2) Does it have an SD card reader? Most laptops these days do; most desktops do not. You can get a USB adapter on Amazon for $2, so it's not a big deal, but it would be convenient if it does.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-12-2014, 10:39 AM)JJJ Wrote: As others have pointed out, you cannot run Windows apps directly on a Chromebook. However, it is possible to install Windows as a virtual machine on a Chromebook and then run Windows apps in the virtual machine. Unfortunately, installing Windows in a virtual machine is not trivial, although I understand that VMWare has simplified the process. Also, although there is a free version of VMWare, to install Windows requires a license, and the license for recent versions of Windows do not allow it to be installed as a virtual machine.

Do you have to "jailbreak" it to do that? My limited understanding is that Chromebooks are locked down to some extent to keep you from running "unapproved" programs.

Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-01-2014, 03:25 PM)archangle Wrote: Do you have to "jailbreak" it to do that? My limited understanding is that Chromebooks are locked down to some extent to keep you from running "unapproved" programs.

No. The usual way that a vendor locks down an OS is to create a locked bootloader that allows booting only the vendor's OS. In the case of the Chromebook that would be the ChromeOS. The ChromeOS isn't locked in the usual sense, it's just that it is more or less just a web browser. Running most programs doesn't work, not because it is forbidden, but because it would be like trying to run a program in, say, Firefox. And, as for the bootloader, I don't believe it is locked, because I know people who have installed Linux on a Chromebook.

As far as I know you can run the VMWare vitrual machine app in the ChromeOS. How VMWare accomplished that, I don't know.
Post Reply Post Reply
What about those of us where the Sleepyhead program is corrupted and can NOT use it ?

Can we Email/PM someone with our SD Card's data, have them download it to their Sleephead program, decipher it and then Email/PM back to us ? I don't believe there is any Private data collected on the SD card so that should not be an issue.

???
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do Doctors Even Have Access to Flow Limits Info? paulag1955 16 697 01-17-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: dataq1
  Luna G3: Key sequence to access clinician (technician) menu? shu246 3 1,748 04-30-2023, 06:31 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  [Equipment] Telemed Dr. has access to my machine. How can I change this? Mindbullets 10 1,683 03-03-2022, 01:07 PM
Last Post: jft60451
  [split] How to access Airsense 11 Expiratory pressure relief (EPR™) settings stevekuk 9 7,008 01-13-2022, 02:07 PM
Last Post: ScottZZZ
  How to access Airsense 10 Expiratory pressure relief (EPR™) settings CCDrogan 5 9,607 01-13-2022, 11:23 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Purchased Machine Online - Dr. wants access to ResMed data via server xhwmikey 2 805 12-20-2021, 06:40 PM
Last Post: xhwmikey
  [CPAP] Help me push: DS2 and our right to access our own sleep data fillmore50 26 2,338 10-27-2021, 04:47 PM
Last Post: StratCat48

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.