Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

What if you were hospitalized?
What if you were hospitalized?
I have heard many times that if you are hospitalized over night you need to take your machine with you, or, more likely, send someone home to get it for you since in most cases hospitalization is not one of those things you leisurely pack for!
Well this got me to thinking. Yes, that is always a dangerous thing! Most times if someone is hospitalized overnight for anything serious they are put on oxygen. I believe it is close to, if not totally, impossible to wear an oxygen cannula or mask and a CPAP mask at the same time! At any rate, not something I want to experiment with at the moment you need it most!
I decided to order the 15mm hose for my machine due to the old style hose catching on the covers and such and dragging my mask off every time I move, and while I was on the website I noticed the oxygen bleed. It was surprising how cheap those things are! I think the shipping would be more than the part. So I figured that since I was paying shipping anyway for the hose, I may as well pick up an oxygen bleed at the same time. I will throw it in my travel bag for my machine and then if I ever have to go to the hospital, I am ready.
I just thought I would share this for others who may not have thought of this.
Sleep-well
As always, YMMV! You do not have to agree or disagree, I am not a professional so my mental meanderings are simply recollections of things from my own life.

PRS1 - Auto - A-Flex x2 - 12.50 - 20 - Humid x2 - Swift FX
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: What if you were hospitalized?
If I know I will be in the hospital overnight, I will take mine.

If it happens without planning, I make sure and mention my sleep apnea to EVERYONE (read nurses). They will ensure I get with Respiratory Therapy who will come in with a hospital machine set up to my pressures.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Check whatever hospital you most like would go to. Send an email to the administrator or whoever and ask what their CPAP policy is. Some want to see the machine first (check to make sure it is safe in terms of damaged cord or whatever I guess). Others could care less.

Yes, if you use your CPAP and need O2, you'll either need a mask that has a port or get one of the doohickeys.

Unless you are on a ventilator, you will need your CPAP. You want to be healing, after all!

I contacted our local hospital and they prefer the patient bring their own whenever possible.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Great point! The last time I ended up in the hospital, unplanned as you say, I asked my wife to bring my meds, glucose meter, etc. The hospital didn't allow me to use of any of this, citing concerns that they could only dispense what they knew to be correct.

I get it. Didn't like paying $15 a pill for "Hospital Meds" but I completely understand that I may be taking the medications incorrectly or even have the incorrect med.

Back to CPAP, I think Paula pinged it! If you're on this board, surveys have shown you are likely a more mature person (statistically) and may have more possibility of ending up in a hospital than your average 20 or 30 something. A bit of planning goes a long way. All this happened before I hosed up, but I think I'll not only call the hospital and see, but make sure my wife knows what and how to pack up the magic machine.

Thanks for bringing this up, not something I remember us discussing in the recent months.
Post Reply Post Reply
Most of the time now, unless you got kick ass insurance, hospitals are allowing patients to bring their own usual medications as long as they know about it, of course. I've not been hospitalized since being declared diabetic but my mom has been. They didn't trust her to take her meds on her own (with reason!) so they did her glucose checking and her other meds. This was a good thing as her glucose was all wonky from the meds and treatment she was getting so she wound up being on insulin.

Anyway, check the hospital's website. They may have the policy there or at least have the name of whoever you should ask.
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
Just the subject line> ""What if you were hospitalized?""< should bring "food for thought" for all of us XPAP'rs. If your hospital stay is a planned event, then you should have time to gather all necessary items and have them ready. Its the emergency trips, where many things can go awry. Most hospitals now days are fully equipped to provide anything necessary for your stay. All that comes at a premium cost however, unless you can provide some things yourself, such as your meds and (CPAP) other needed items. Soooo, somewhere in the back of your and/or significant others mind, try to remember your XPAP. You don;t want to be uncomfortable from surgery, meds or other treatments and have to fiddle with a leaking (hospital loaner) mask that may never be the right fit for you. Take your own comfortable and familiar mask. Most of all, be sure to ask your Doctor to prescribe some heavy duty sleeping pills. Hospitals as noisy places.
Yesterday is history; Tomorrow is a mystery; Today is a gift; Thats why its called "The Present".  
Post Reply Post Reply
Don,t forget to inform the most important the anesthetics doc that you have sleep apnea and using CPAP
Ohwell bring some distilled water too
Post Reply Post Reply
I have two different print outs for my medications. One is the formal listing of dosages, times, and reasons. Another is less formal and has whatever I wrote on the lid (usually the first letter of the medication) and any side effects or notes (like 'can ruin sleep'). The formal one I keep in my medication bag which is a simple cloth bag I got at a craft show. If needed, we grab the entire bag and go. I also have a file of my medical history which also lists my sleep apnea and current pressure. That I keep up to date but not printed out. I ought to print it and keep it in the medication bag. Taking the bag is cool even for regular doc visits. No need to try and remember all the names and stuff which I always manage to get wrong.

The good thing about these smaller machines is they are so easy to grab and go as well. The hard part is remembering the stupid cord with the brick.
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
One thing I have done is to have an electronic copy of my medical history on my smartphone.

I also have access to my spouse's medical history as well.

I might go into and edit my med history to include such things as APAP pressure settings, mask type, etc.

Great topic. Thanks
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I live alone ( not counting my dogs) and my only family member is in California. What if I was unconscious? I doubt anyone would look in my wallet for any info or see a note saying I have sleep apnea. If I can't tell them then no one would know. I also should never have blood pressure taken on my left arm. I used to wear sa bracelet saying no B/P draws or injections in left arm but it does not mention sleep apnea and my machine. Yikes! Ten what can a single person do? Scarey thought. My dogs would also need help if I am in the hospital.
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.