Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

What if you were hospitalized?
RE: What if you were hospitalized?
If you were unconscious, they would be most likely giving you O2.

A medic alert or similar bracelet would be a good idea if you are that concerned.

But the way I look at it, if I am unconscious, there's other things going on that would be more important. Waiting a few hours to tell them of the xPAP is not going to hurt anything. Any longer than that, and I'd most likely be on O2 or on a ventilator.

PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
You can list things like a cpap on a MedicAlert bracelet/necklace which EMT's and other medical personnel are trained to locate and use. I use the MedicAlert Foundation for mine...been a member so long my number is only 8 digits long (I think they are up to 10 now). I joined in 1980 when I discovered I was allergic to codeine. When you put in your details, one section is for devices...and the CPAP is listed. You can also upload a document to add to the file if the question isn't already on there. I use to have a Standing Order on there for dealing with me and my insulin pump while hospitalized. I also had a document, signed by my endo, to which diet they were to give me.

That would be a good spot for CPAP settings, etc...

But both of us have medicalert numbers, we both also have our most recent medical file typed and loaded to the dropbox and marked as a favorite (that way you can pull it up without internet access). And we have that access on our smartphones.

Liz
Post Reply Post Reply
I used to be a member of MedicAlert, but cancelled it due to the recurring cost.

So, I purchased a standard military-style dog tag and had my name, address, phone, CPAP pressure & that I'm diabetic type II printed on the metal tag. Pretty cheap insurance... think I paid $6 plus shipping. I wear it around my neck all the time.

Something like this:

[Image: dog_tags.jpg]

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
SS, please PM me the link of where you got those.
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-28-2012, 05:05 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote: I used to be a member of MedicAlert, but cancelled it due to the recurring cost.

So, I purchased a standard military-style dog tag and had my name, address, phone, CPAP pressure & that I'm diabetic type II printed on the metal tag. Pretty cheap insurance... think I paid $6 plus shipping. I wear it around my neck all the time.

Something like this:

[Image: dog_tags.jpg]

And while that is a good idea, EMT's/ER personnel are not trained to look for those type tags...but if it has the medical emblem on it they do pay attention. Military medical tags are red not grey...I had one of each for awhile.

Liz

Edited to add: What you need on it is the red EMT Star of Life.
Here is a military type option: [link removed by moderator] Notice the red star of life on each one.

From Moderator: To assist in this, do a Google search for "Sticky Jewelry", the name of the company.
-----
Moderator Action: Link Removed
To maintain our status as an educational organization, the only commercial links allowed in this forum are to CPAP-related manufacturer websites. This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules with details given in the Commercial Links Policy section.
-----
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-28-2012, 07:32 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: SS, please PM me the link of where you got those.

Paula, I can't remember where I got them from.... if you do a Google search for "dog tags" or "medical dog tags", a lot of links should come up from reputable sources for those kinds of tags. Just make sure you're getting the higher quality ones... some sites sell aluminium tags that can be easily bent... stainless steel is probably the better way to go.

I would agree with southernlady that it's probably better to have the ones with the red medical symbol on them... the cost isn't that much more for that kind of thing, from what I saw from her Sticky Jewelry info. If I ever replace mine, that's probably the route I'll take.

Smile
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
going for knee replacement dr.says bring cpap and teach us insilin pump will have spinal for surg.
Post Reply Post Reply
You won't need it during the surgery of course, but you will in the recovery room or if you stay overnight. You may want to print out instructions and tape it to the machine so folks know how to use it. Same with the insulin pump. Don't trust that the same people you are showing at the doc office will actually be around when needed.
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-30-2012, 07:21 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: You won't need it during the surgery of course, but you will in the recovery room or if you stay overnight. You may want to print out instructions and tape it to the machine so folks know how to use it. Same with the insulin pump. Don't trust that the same people you are showing at the doc office will actually be around when needed.

yes this is anathiologist and nurseThanks
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.