Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Self Titration - Scientific Study Confirms Apnea Board Approach
RE: Self Titration - Scientific Study Confirms Apnea Board Approach
(05-31-2012, 11:46 AM)Sleepster Wrote: I don't think they have much choice. If they want to practice medicine they pretty much have to go along with the insurance company regulations. Insurance companies also influence very strongly the laws. This is probably the greatest flaw in the US medical system.

I have Medicare A & B. In my area there are no primary care physicians who will take me unless I have supplemental insurance as well. You can still find sleep doctors, ophthalmologists, and other specialties, though. But even those lose money on patients with just straight Medicare. Next October I will have to add a supplemental plan or my primary care physician will drop me.

I don't know what the answer is. But I know this is getting off-topic for this thread, so I'll shut up now.
Post Reply Post Reply
That's a great paper, and will prove very useful. Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
Great information!! Thanks for posting the papers.
"Goodnight Chesty wherever you are!"
Post Reply Post Reply
Hey SuperSleeper, There could be a way that visually impaired or blind people could set their pressure on their machine. It would be nice if the manufacturers of these machines would put an on-board screen-reader in the newer machines or if your machine has an rs232 port on it, they could develop an out-board module for screen-reading for the already existing machines out there. This has been a bone of contention for me every since I have been using CPAP machines. It is terribly frustrating not to be able to set your own machine and it gets old to have to ask someone to come over and set it, not that our friends mind, I just hate taking them away from things that they have to do, when, if there was a screen-reader to speak back everything I did on the machine, this would then be a win-win for everyone. Anywho, this is just some food for thought.
(02-28-2012, 06:28 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote:
zimlich Wrote:Thanks, Zonk, nobody but me cares enough to check my numbers every day, keep track of when I'm expecially tired during the day and correlate this with my AI and AHI. I can check a weeks worth of data at a particular pressure and decide if some tweaking is necessary. I know how I slept each night. This is not nearly as important to my doc as me, and a night in the sleep lab is just one night. Could be good or bad. I just had a sleep study where they were checking for centrals. I think they ignored everything else because when I got home at my new pressure and expected to wake up with good numbers, my AHI and AI were as bad as ever. I sent the doc my data card to review (which I wouldn't have done if I wasn't having trouble staying awake) and he declined to change anthing at this time. So now I'm taking charge and can finally see some improvement. Got a way to go, but at least I'm getting my AAI consistently under 5.

trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Trish,

Yep, it would be a nice feature for visually impaired folks. But, the CPAP manufacturers market to the majority and they even make it tough for those of us who do have our sight to change the pressure settings.

I would hope that they would make CPAPs more friendly to the blind. Until then, you can always ask Sam to help out with it. He has to do some work, after all. Ha ha.

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
The technology exists but no one wants to mess with it. It's why the Kindle didn't make it as a substitute for textbooks. Colleges didn't want it if students who were blind couldn't use it.

Can you read your data through ResScan or SleepyHead?
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Paula, I'm sorry it took me so long to get back to you about this. I'm unable to use ResScan because I have a mac and last time I checked into it, it only runs on Windows and I'm not able to use Sleepyhead because it doesn't have an interface, tle last time I looked into that, it had to be run in Terminal as a command line program and I'd rather not run the risk of messing up my whole system as the risk is pretty good that this would happen.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Hey SuperSleeper, Sorry it took me so long to reply to your note on this forum. I don't have a real good excuse accept to say, I decided to check my forum subscriptions and, well, here I am, (Ha-Ha-Ha.)Yeah I understand that the CPAP market leans more toward the majority, I was just offering a way that we as blind and/or visually empared could set our pressures. Yeah, I know what you mean about Sam needing to do some work, (Ha-Ha-Ha-Ha, he works pretty hard as it is,) but Sam is in the same boat as I am, (Ha-Ha-Ha,) we are both blind but we get by pretty good, we just learn to work with the tools we got, (Ha-Ha.) Anywho, that's enough from me for now, I'll check my subscriptions more often, (Ha-Ha-Ha.)
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 219 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  [CPAP] Titration Study liebano 2 74 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 528 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 608 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 189 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  New sleep study after 17 years? Jim1952 2 117 03-21-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Jim1952
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 143 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.