julrez9 Offline

Members

Machine: Philips Respironics Dream Station Auto CPAP
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: AirFit P10 Nasal Pillows
Humidifier: Unsure
CPAP Pressure: 4-10
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments: I also suffer from Anxiety, PTSD, and Insomnia (Both falling and staying asleep)

Sex: Female

Question What is Auto Start
I'm trying to come up with an idea to solve my big issue with auto cpap. I'm on a min pressure of 4 and a max of 10. I do have a c-flex but I'm still having issues with breathing against an air current with nasal pillows. I can wear the mask all day long, no issues. I've even tried the "sit in front of the TV" method, I still get anxious and rip it off. I'm not quite sure what auto start is and how it works. I would like to put the cpap on a wall timer and have it come on like an hour after I go to bed. (it takes me from 45 min to 90 min to get to sleep normally). Would the cpap machine kick on automatically once it has electricity or would I still need to push the button? If I can get a this to work, that would solve my biggest issue right there.
Thanks
11-29-2015 05:07 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
justMongo Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed VPAP Auto (S9)
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18 IPAPmax - 11 EPAPmin, PS=5
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments: μολὼν λαβέ

Sex: Male

RE: What is Auto Start
Permit me to play the devil's Advocate.
Where is the air coming from for the 45 to 90 minutes you are masked up connected to the unit with the blower off?
And, what is the CO2 and O2 content of that air?

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
11-29-2015 07:42 AM
AlanE Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: P10 & Mirage Liberty backup
Humidifier: Built-in
CPAP Pressure: 10-14
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

Autostart aka Smartstart will cause the machine to start when it detects the pressure from an expiration. some machines may work on inspiration. ResMed A10 for example works on expiration.

To specifically answer your question, it depends on the machine. Normally, no the machine will not start automatically when power is applied to it but with Smartstart it will start after power is restored and it detects a breath. In the case of a short power outage, the machine will continue in it's last state.

If you have issues with a pillows mask, you should try a different mask. When the machine kicks on and the pressure ramps up, you will most likely wake up anyway.

Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. Access through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie
(This post was last modified: 11-29-2015 07:56 AM by AlanE.)
11-29-2015 07:55 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
OpalRose Offline

Monitors

Machine: PR System One REMstar Auto 560 with A Flex
Mask Make & Model: AirFit P10 For Her
Humidifier: REMStar heated humidifier with heated hose
CPAP Pressure: Auto Cpap 10-13 AFLEX 1
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: Started CPAP Therapy October 23, 2014

Auto start isn't going to give you what you are looking for. If you use auto start, depending on machine, it will start as soon as you either inhale or exhale.

A CPAP on a timer? No....you will still have to push the on button. Even if that were possible, and it's not....it would wake you up with a sudden blast of pressure.

Just went back to read your other thread: http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-CPAP-Insomnia

I guess you can choose to ignore advice, but one thing your shouldn't ignore is this:

Wearing a mask with no air pressure for a long period of time is not advisable.
You could be rebreathing your own air. Talk to your doctor, you are experiencing way too much anxiety over a treatment that will save your life, but only if you use it!

OpalRose
11-29-2015 09:27 AM
julrez9 Offline

Members

Machine: Philips Respironics Dream Station Auto CPAP
Mask Make & Model: AirFit P10 Nasal Pillows
Humidifier: Unsure
CPAP Pressure: 4-10
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments: I also suffer from Anxiety, PTSD, and Insomnia (Both falling and staying asleep)

I listened to the advice. One of the questions I asked my Doc will I get CO2 poisoning if the CPAP turns off for any reason. He said I would be fine, that's why CPAP mask have vents. He's the one that told me to watch TV and play on the computer back when I was scared of the mask. I Have PTSD, don't want to get into a draw out story, but I have triggers. One is someone breathing on my face. My therapist thinks the warm air might remind my subconscious of that. It's hard to overcome triggers, I've been working with therapist sense I was 15, I'm 42 now. So yes, I have to be creative if I want to treat this. Basicly what's happening is this, I get really tired, I go to bed, put the mask on and wait. When I think I'm going to fade into sleep, I turn on the CPAP. Within 10 minutes, I'm having an problems breathing and I feel anxious. Usually what this does is one of two things, either I have to take a pill, larazapam, or i'm pretty much up for the night. You can see why, I'm looking for a fix for this. Also I can't get another mask for a week, my insurance has a one mask per month policy, even when your starting out. My doc prescribed the wisp, they gave me nasal pillows.
11-29-2015 09:59 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
OpalRose Offline

Monitors

What we recommend here is to try wearing the mask with the pressure on while watching TV or reading for a short while each night before bed. (Not in bed). You would find that after a while, you won't notice the pressure.

OpalRose
11-29-2015 10:23 AM
Sleeprider Online
Wiki Editor
Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed Aircurve 10 Vauto
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Airfit P10
Humidifier: Resmed Climateline
CPAP Pressure: Auto Bilevel 18/9, PS 3
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments:

Using the Airfit P10 with the machine off will result in a buildup of CO2. Probably not to dangerous levels, but the exhaust vent is not free-flowing, so you will rebreath air exhaled to the hose. The P10 relies on pressurized fresh air to ensure enough air flows through the mask to prevent excessive rebreathing, and the safety backup is the fact you can just breath through your mouth, unlike a full face mask.

If you are trying become desensitized to exhaling against pressure, using the machine while off will not help. Respironics C-flex or A-flex provides up to 2-cm pressure relief for exhalation. The Resmed EPR provides up to 3 cm pressure relief. If you need more pressure relief in order to tolerate PAP therapy, then you should talk to your doctor about a bilevel (BiPAP/VPAP) machine.

11-29-2015 10:50 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
CHanlon Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Activa LT
Humidifier: ResMed Hi5
CPAP Pressure: 12 -20
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Mirage Activa LT nasal mask

(11-29-2015 09:59 AM)julrez9 Wrote:  One is someone breathing on my face. My therapist thinks the warm air might remind my subconscious of that. It's hard to overcome triggers, I've been working with therapist sense I was 15, I'm 42 now. So yes, I have to be creative if I want to treat this. Basicly what's happening is this, I get really tired, I go to bed, put the mask on and wait. When I think I'm going to fade into sleep, I turn on the CPAP. Within 10 minutes, I'm having an problems breathing and I feel anxious. Usually what this does is one of two things, either I have to take a pill, larazapam, or i'm pretty much up for the night. You can see why, I'm looking for a fix for this. Also I can't get another mask for a week, my insurance has a one mask per month policy, even when your starting out. My doc prescribed the wisp, they gave me nasal pillows.

Sounds like what you're looking for is a mask that minimizes the feeling of air moving on your face?

I would have thought that nasal pillows might have been your best solution, but there are several masks that could work. I use the Mirage Activa LT, and the only time I feel air movement (even at 19 pressure) is if I have a leak.

I haven't tried the mask, but the Dream Wear looks like it might be a good choice, too.
11-29-2015 11:30 AM
nelamvr6 Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet
Mask Make & Model: DeVilbiss Aloha
Humidifier: Integrated
CPAP Pressure: 11-16
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Have you tried your machine's ramp settings? That's where it takes time to reach the operating pressure, increasing pressure a little at a time. This might give you time to fall asleep.
11-29-2015 01:41 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
OpalRose Offline

Monitors

(11-29-2015 01:41 PM)nelamvr6 Wrote:  Have you tried your machine's ramp settings? That's where it takes time to reach the operating pressure, increasing pressure a little at a time. This might give you time to fall asleep.

She's at a start pressure of 4, so unless she's willing to raise pressure, ramp won't matter. Smile

OpalRose
11-29-2015 02:15 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  airsense10 auto cpap(for him) VS DreamStation Auto CPAP DSX500T11 w/HT humid rookiepom 5 882 10-09-2016 07:52 AM
Last Post: stephennic
  [Equipment] AirSense 10 smart start with nasal pillows Jacto 6 591 09-13-2016 06:27 PM
Last Post: sonicboom
  Resmed S10 Autoset Start/Stop Not Working spicydesi 5 1,599 08-12-2016 10:00 PM
Last Post: jedirye
Ohmy Resmed S9 auto vs Airsense 10 auto sleepyonpar1 6 729 08-11-2016 09:10 PM
Last Post: zonk
  Dreamstation auto or Resmed S9 auto? Ockrocket 13 832 08-04-2016 11:09 PM
Last Post: stephennic
  [How to] Start a New Thread with the Right Subject Line! PaulaO2 10 1,545 07-28-2016 09:59 PM
Last Post: Ockrocket
  ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset Will Not Start UpFrontChuck 6 779 07-19-2016 01:17 PM
Last Post: UpFrontChuck