Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

What is Auto Start
Question 
What is Auto Start
I'm trying to come up with an idea to solve my big issue with auto cpap. I'm on a min pressure of 4 and a max of 10. I do have a c-flex but I'm still having issues with breathing against an air current with nasal pillows. I can wear the mask all day long, no issues. I've even tried the "sit in front of the TV" method, I still get anxious and rip it off. I'm not quite sure what auto start is and how it works. I would like to put the cpap on a wall timer and have it come on like an hour after I go to bed. (it takes me from 45 min to 90 min to get to sleep normally). Would the cpap machine kick on automatically once it has electricity or would I still need to push the button? If I can get a this to work, that would solve my biggest issue right there.
Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: What is Auto Start
Permit me to play the devil's Advocate.
Where is the air coming from for the 45 to 90 minutes you are masked up connected to the unit with the blower off?
And, what is the CO2 and O2 content of that air?
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Autostart aka Smartstart will cause the machine to start when it detects the pressure from an expiration. some machines may work on inspiration. ResMed A10 for example works on expiration.

To specifically answer your question, it depends on the machine. Normally, no the machine will not start automatically when power is applied to it but with Smartstart it will start after power is restored and it detects a breath. In the case of a short power outage, the machine will continue in it's last state.

If you have issues with a pillows mask, you should try a different mask. When the machine kicks on and the pressure ramps up, you will most likely wake up anyway.
Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Stick it to the man, Download OSCAR and take back control of your data!

Thanks Ian. Like I didn't have enough Honey-Do projects to tackle. Mornincoffee
Post Reply Post Reply
Auto start isn't going to give you what you are looking for. If you use auto start, depending on machine, it will start as soon as you either inhale or exhale.

A CPAP on a timer? No....you will still have to push the on button. Even if that were possible, and it's not....it would wake you up with a sudden blast of pressure.

Just went back to read your other thread: http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-CPAP-Insomnia

I guess you can choose to ignore advice, but one thing your shouldn't ignore is this:

Wearing a mask with no air pressure for a long period of time is not advisable.
You could be rebreathing your own air. Talk to your doctor, you are experiencing way too much anxiety over a treatment that will save your life, but only if you use it!
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I listened to the advice. One of the questions I asked my Doc will I get CO2 poisoning if the CPAP turns off for any reason. He said I would be fine, that's why CPAP mask have vents. He's the one that told me to watch TV and play on the computer back when I was scared of the mask. I Have PTSD, don't want to get into a draw out story, but I have triggers. One is someone breathing on my face. My therapist thinks the warm air might remind my subconscious of that. It's hard to overcome triggers, I've been working with therapist sense I was 15, I'm 42 now. So yes, I have to be creative if I want to treat this. Basicly what's happening is this, I get really tired, I go to bed, put the mask on and wait. When I think I'm going to fade into sleep, I turn on the CPAP. Within 10 minutes, I'm having an problems breathing and I feel anxious. Usually what this does is one of two things, either I have to take a pill, larazapam, or i'm pretty much up for the night. You can see why, I'm looking for a fix for this. Also I can't get another mask for a week, my insurance has a one mask per month policy, even when your starting out. My doc prescribed the wisp, they gave me nasal pillows.
Post Reply Post Reply
What we recommend here is to try wearing the mask with the pressure on while watching TV or reading for a short while each night before bed. (Not in bed). You would find that after a while, you won't notice the pressure.
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Using the Airfit P10 with the machine off will result in a buildup of CO2. Probably not to dangerous levels, but the exhaust vent is not free-flowing, so you will rebreath air exhaled to the hose. The P10 relies on pressurized fresh air to ensure enough air flows through the mask to prevent excessive rebreathing, and the safety backup is the fact you can just breath through your mouth, unlike a full face mask.

If you are trying become desensitized to exhaling against pressure, using the machine while off will not help. Respironics C-flex or A-flex provides up to 2-cm pressure relief for exhalation. The Resmed EPR provides up to 3 cm pressure relief. If you need more pressure relief in order to tolerate PAP therapy, then you should talk to your doctor about a bilevel (BiPAP/VPAP) machine.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-29-2015, 09:59 AM)julrez9 Wrote: One is someone breathing on my face. My therapist thinks the warm air might remind my subconscious of that. It's hard to overcome triggers, I've been working with therapist sense I was 15, I'm 42 now. So yes, I have to be creative if I want to treat this. Basicly what's happening is this, I get really tired, I go to bed, put the mask on and wait. When I think I'm going to fade into sleep, I turn on the CPAP. Within 10 minutes, I'm having an problems breathing and I feel anxious. Usually what this does is one of two things, either I have to take a pill, larazapam, or i'm pretty much up for the night. You can see why, I'm looking for a fix for this. Also I can't get another mask for a week, my insurance has a one mask per month policy, even when your starting out. My doc prescribed the wisp, they gave me nasal pillows.

Sounds like what you're looking for is a mask that minimizes the feeling of air moving on your face?

I would have thought that nasal pillows might have been your best solution, but there are several masks that could work. I use the Mirage Activa LT, and the only time I feel air movement (even at 19 pressure) is if I have a leak.

I haven't tried the mask, but the Dream Wear looks like it might be a good choice, too.

Post Reply Post Reply
Have you tried your machine's ramp settings? That's where it takes time to reach the operating pressure, increasing pressure a little at a time. This might give you time to fall asleep.

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-29-2015, 01:41 PM)nelamvr6 Wrote: Have you tried your machine's ramp settings? That's where it takes time to reach the operating pressure, increasing pressure a little at a time. This might give you time to fall asleep.

She's at a start pressure of 4, so unless she's willing to raise pressure, ramp won't matter. Smile

OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CPAP journey start - please help (thread) Negligee1136 48 4,274 01-29-2024, 03:54 AM
Last Post: zaienk
  Auto BiPAP fixed PS vs Auto PS - pros and cons? Stubert 5 583 01-09-2024, 02:29 AM
Last Post: Stubert
  Need to start CPAP and feeling overwhelmed shipofools999 11 1,183 10-06-2023, 07:10 AM
Last Post: Fabby
  Dry mouth with Resmed 11 auto, not with S9 auto? pumpkln 3 595 09-13-2023, 12:46 PM
Last Post: eok361
  DreamStation Auto Initial Start-up WilliamZ 3 502 09-11-2023, 11:23 AM
Last Post: Gideon
  Should I start CPAP? brianstermat09 3 512 08-24-2023, 04:00 AM
Last Post: Ockrocket
  Breas Z2 Auto Portable Auto-CPAP Machine Package kbingel 9 2,999 08-18-2023, 07:10 PM
Last Post: Txgeodigger

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.