Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

What is Common Practice
What is Common Practice
I have Humana Medicare and they require that I rent the CPAP machine for 13 months - it is a rent-to-own process.

My question is, during that 13 months is it "normal" practice to REQUIRE me to replace the various parts (hose, humidifier, F10-Cushion) etc on the ResMed recommended schedule? Or is it up to me when to replace them?

Also, do most DMEs require you to purchase the parts through them?

And last (for now Smile ) does anyone know if medicare will reimburse me for those parts during the rental period if I purchase them online, or do I have to go through the DME I am renting the CPAP machine through?

I am trying to find a DME other than Apria in my area, and I am interested in what I can expect from a reputable company.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: What is Common Practice
Well, this whole question has just been made unnecessary. I called a DME Supplier locally and was told they did not accept Humana, since I have Humana Medicare PPo my only choice of DME Suppliers is - ready for this - Aprea. They have the nationwide contract for Humana and are the only in network supplier. So, I have no choice if I want to use my insurance I will be using Aprea - that doesn't make me happy.

sigh...
Post Reply Post Reply
Apria can work pretty well if you use them properly. First, do not give them any credit card numbers or bank account numbers to keep on file. Second, do not expect any help from their Respiratory Therapists and if they do help you do an internal check on what they say to see if it really makes any sense. Apria is good at getting supplies for you as needed and allowed. They do often screw up orders but if you are in no rush for the hardware it is no big deal and they will fix it.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Frank,

You are not alone, a few years ago, long before I discovered this excellent forum I experienced similar difficulties with the same DME. At the time I had been using a great locally owned, small DME but they were bought by Apria. Soon thereafter, I started having problems getting supplies. At the time I was on Medicare with BCBS supplemental via a plan provided by my prior employer for retirees. Through a series of changes I am now with Florida Blue (BCBS Medicare Replacement) and have a regional DME that leaves something to be desired but I can live with it.

I would have some flexibility to change DMEs but for now have opted to stay with "the devil that I know" instead of changing. Since they are all "for profit" we seem to be at their mercy. I think it is very difficult for a small, locally owned DME to survive these days. If you have other medical needs that are being adequately met by your present insurance you may just have to make the best of the DME issues.

Good luck,

Stan
Post Reply Post Reply
I am very happy with my experience so far with Humana, nothing to complain about. So far. I just turned 66, so I have only been with them a year (via Medicare).

PaytonA, how do I not give them my credit card info? I assume that means I go into their store to pick up supplies? That would be fine, I don't mind that as opposed to having them drop shipped to me. But, what do I say when they say (I assume they will) that they have to have my CC number on file for reason xyz. Since they are the ONLY DME I can use my insurance with, I don't have a lot of leverage to just leave...
Post Reply Post Reply
I have my supplies delivered to the local office and direct to me. When they are in I drive 10 minutes and pick them, paying cash. For me 3 months worth of masks and filters has run $36 every three months.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-21-2016, 05:14 PM)PoolQ Wrote: I have my supplies delivered to the local office and direct to me. When they are in I drive 10 minutes and pick them, paying cash. For me 3 months worth of masks and filters has run $36 every three months.

That is exactly what I wanted to hear. Thank you.

Since I am renting the CPAP machine, I assume I am renting from them, I also assume I will need to setup a payment method for that - sigh. I hate not being able to trust someone I have to deal with. I wonder if I could just pay the 13 monthly rental payments all at once up front also.
Post Reply Post Reply
"I don't have a credit card; but, I can send you a US Postal Money Order."
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-21-2016, 05:37 PM)justMongo Wrote: "I don't have a credit card; but, I can send you a US Postal Money Order."

Love it - lol... great idea.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-21-2016, 05:37 PM)justMongo Wrote: "I don't have a credit card; but, I can send you a US Postal Money Order."

Lol......enjoy reading your response.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A common unknown cause of obstructive sleep apnea Gideon 2 1,088 05-15-2020, 05:35 PM
Last Post: Illorum
  How common is it to suffer episodes of delirium from sleep deprivation? NoddingHacker 4 936 05-10-2020, 05:16 AM
Last Post: ardenum
  Palpitations/shortness of breath common with APAP treatment? photolabrat 20 2,508 04-28-2020, 09:59 AM
Last Post: DavyP49
Question Common Issues w/ CPAP Use? kyokoyama 32 5,264 05-08-2018, 12:00 PM
Last Post: gwc2795
  [Equipment] Common to switch between nasal and full-face mask as needed? Creosote 22 4,131 05-04-2018, 05:44 PM
Last Post: Ron AKA
  How common is it to take months to get AHI under 5.0? TheManseHen 20 8,858 03-25-2016, 08:17 AM
Last Post: Zeddy
  Hmmm...Is this common? PsychoMike 15 5,085 10-09-2013, 10:40 PM
Last Post: PsychoMike

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.