Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

What is Normal Average Leak Rate?
RE: What is Normal Average Leak Rate?
[img][Image: 8416pdDay_zpseyuu3twl.png][/img]

[img][Image: 8416pdfTrend_zpsjuva6bgx.png][/img]

[Image: 8416pdf_zpsicwgcxws.png]

Post Reply Post Reply
These may help. It's a copy of a pdf that my software prints out.

I think it is so simple really. I have deduced that my software is showing total air flow, leaks, maybe open mouth and exhaust from my nasal mask.

So, if it is showing average leaks around 50, and my mask at has exhaust of about 25 when my cmH2o is around 8-9, then it makes sense that the 25 is subtracted from the 50 leaving a difference of about 25 which I assume are mask leaks and open mouth.

If that is the case then, I guess since I keep seeing this magic number of 24 as being ok that apparently comes on other software then I guess I'm ok here. Doesn't this make sense? I mean this can't be rocket science. But since I just started out and all of this is brand new to me (with an auto cpap that is, otherwise with a constant pressure machine for 16 years) then I'm thinking other educated opinions would be a good idea.

And also, I get up a few times a night to assist my disabled wife, hence the drop-offs.

Thanks for the input.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-07-2016, 06:28 PM)Sleepster Wrote:
(08-06-2016, 08:19 PM)Lanco Wrote: Below is what my respiratory therapist said when I questioned all the leaks. Average being around 50 l/m Highest Leak being 74 and Lowest Leak being 7:

"If your total AHI is 2.23 then that is acceptable. I wouldn't overthink this too much. Regardless of the leak, if your AHI is that low, then you are good. Textbook normal is less than 5."

I would not agree with that. You need to look at the leak rate graph for each night. If it goes up and down a lot, that means you're leaking. If you have a well-fitting nasal mask then it's likely the leaks are from your mouth. The remedy is a chin strap. If that doesn't work, a full face mask.

Thanks for the answer. But I think first I need to determine if the data I'm getting is good enough to not need a chin strap or face mask which of course I have no desire to use unless absolutely necessary. This is what I'm trying to find out really.
Post Reply Post Reply
If the software was SleepyHead, I'd say you were opening your mouth. A lot. Looking at the flat top of the leak rate, that's when you are doing it. Then when it suddenly drops, that's when you close it. But again, not knowing the baseline of the machine, it is hard to tell.

(08-06-2016, 08:19 PM)Lanco Wrote: Below is what my respiratory therapist said when I questioned all the leaks. Average being around 50 l/m Highest Leak being 74 and Lowest Leak being 7:

"If your total AHI is 2.23 then that is acceptable. I wouldn't overthink this too much. Regardless of the leak, if your AHI is that low, then you are good. Textbook normal is less than 5."

That's a crock of bloney. If you are experiencing a lot of leaks, then the machine is missing events. Or flagging events that aren't happening. Yes, the goal is less than 5. At least they got something right.

Think of it this way. You have the speedometer and the RPMs and the transmission. Push on the pedal, the speed goes up on the speedometer. RPMs go up, too. Now, the transmission slips. The RPMs will go really high, indicating a problem. But the speedometer doesn't. If the car goes downhill, it will. But is it because the gas pedal is being pushed harder? Or because it is downhill? If the car goes uphill, it will slow down. Again, is it because the pedal is being pushed less?

Same with the AHI, pressure, and leaks. If the leak is bad enough (transmission slips), then the machine has to work harder to detect if it is needed. It can give false readings. It can miss even more.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-08-2016, 12:30 AM)PaulaO2 Wrote: If the software was SleepyHead, I'd say you were opening your mouth. A lot. Looking at the flat top of the leak rate, that's when you are doing it. Then when it suddenly drops, that's when you close it. But again, not knowing the baseline of the machine, it is hard to tell.

Thanks for answer, but, Just a reminder, those drops down to nothing is when I get out of bed to assist my disabled wife. So, now what does all this mean?

Post Reply Post Reply
Not a clue. If Apnea Board does not have the manual for that machine, then search the Google webz for the "intentional leak rate" of your machine. Then determine if the software is displaying the entire leak rate or just what is above the intentional leak rate.

Other than that, we are tossing darts in the dark.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
The total leak rate is the sum of the intentional leak rate and the unintentional leak rate.

ResMed machines report only the unintentional leak rate, and they do claim that as long as it's under 24 L/min you're good. Personally, I'm not happy unless mine is almost zero. Leaks are noisy, they bother me and disturb my sleep, and I just don't like them.

There's really no harm in trying a chin strap to see what it does for you. Many people make them out of an Ace bandage or the like. You can also buy them on Amazon without a prescription. Mouth-leaking is a serious issue. It renders the CPAP therapy useless because the pressure splint can't be maintained and your airway collapses just as if you had no CPAP machine at all.

Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm using the Apex XT Auto and Wisp Nasal Mask. These are 2 snapshots of my results.

Good Night

Bad Night

So average leaks on a good night is around 20LPM with the Wisp.

Your pressure setting seems a bit wide. I shifted mine up to 7.5 (from initial 6) and started getting better results.

p/s.

My nasal cushion has already been boiled once and is washed weekly. Have 2 fresh ones on standby, but trying to see the lifespan of these silicones Thinking-about. Same one I've been using since the start of this journey early this year.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for this info, Newbee. Your leak rate is very similar to my total leak rate when I was using the Wisp mask a few months ago.

You are getting much longer cushion life than I did with that mask, though. After 4-5 weeks with one cushion, I would start to get lots of leaks around the bridge of my nose.

(08-11-2016, 09:59 AM)Newbee2016 Wrote: I'm using the Apex XT Auto and Wisp Nasal Mask. These are 2 snapshots of my results.

Good Night

Bad Night

So average leaks on a good night is around 20LPM with the Wisp.

Your pressure setting seems a bit wide. I shifted mine up to 7.5 (from initial 6) and started getting better results.

p/s.

My nasal cushion has already been boiled once and is washed weekly. Have 2 fresh ones on standby, but trying to see the lifespan of these silicones Thinking-about. Same one I've been using since the start of this journey early this year.

Post Reply Post Reply
It seems to me, there's another component to this that hasn't been discussed about leakage.

That being one's O2 saturation. I haven't anything to back up what I'm about to put forward for thought, but just because your AHI's are within what might be perceived as being the "normal range", should your leak values be astronomical, your O2 saturation may suffer significantly.

I can only suspect long term O2 desaturation, where your O2 saturation continually falls below 90% could be detrimental to your overall health, meaning, other organs might be affected.. entirely to many to articulate.

Just my thinking.
Warning: Eating chocolate may cause your clothes to shrink!
[Image: ry6XtE9.gif] <---- That's ME!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Too much STATIC showing in OSCAR Flow Rate PappaJoe 0 76 04-16-2024, 08:23 AM
Last Post: PappaJoe
Question Does abnormal breathing trigger an elevated heart rate? Or vice versa. G. Szabo 14 359 04-15-2024, 07:01 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Please, need help reading the leak rate and LL info chronic 14 342 04-13-2024, 12:00 PM
Last Post: chronic
Question Any thoughts on why my heart rate increases when using CPAP? hejohoo 3 946 04-08-2024, 09:59 AM
Last Post: hejohoo
  Leak Spikes and A Break in Flow blu15 9 1,260 04-06-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: avhenry
  Flow rate kink at end of exhalation ahuman 12 376 03-29-2024, 06:50 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 10 415 03-29-2024, 12:29 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.