Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

What is Normal Average Leak Rate?
RE: What is Normal Average Leak Rate?
Lanco, the design leak rate for any mask is a curve that changes with pressure, so there is no fixed leak rate, rather it is a designed venting flow/pressure relationship. Some masks publish this curve, and for others it is nearly impossible to find. Philips Respironics machines will measure and report both the total leak and excess leak, while Resmed only reports the excess leak. I assume excess leak is calculated from something like the 5-percent leak rate. I think it would be helpful if they all reported total leak, but apparently the companies don't agree.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanx Sleeprider, yes I know. I think a significant thing with this data is my average pressure is 8.3 and it shows 55 lpm as the norm. My mask exhaust flow, at about 8 cmH20 is about 24. So, this certainly points in a certain direction.
Post Reply Post Reply
Interesting how resmed works.

According to it I had zero leaks last night but I know that was not true but they were not major.

Rich
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-23-2016, 07:49 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: I assume excess leak is calculated from something like the 5-percent leak rate. I think it would be helpful if they all reported total leak, but apparently the companies don't agree.

As you say, ResMed reports only the unintentional leak rate (what you are calling the excess leak rate). I don't know how they do it, and I don't think anyone else does, either. The thing is, if you keep your method a secret, no one can criticize your method for being invalid!
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just an update. I had the leak alarm turned on last night for the first time. It never sounded. Good news I would guess.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Too much STATIC showing in OSCAR Flow Rate PappaJoe 0 39 6 hours ago
Last Post: PappaJoe
Question Does abnormal breathing trigger an elevated heart rate? Or vice versa. G. Szabo 14 338 Yesterday, 07:01 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Please, need help reading the leak rate and LL info chronic 14 326 04-13-2024, 12:00 PM
Last Post: chronic
Question Any thoughts on why my heart rate increases when using CPAP? hejohoo 3 932 04-08-2024, 09:59 AM
Last Post: hejohoo
  Leak Spikes and A Break in Flow blu15 9 1,255 04-06-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: avhenry
  Flow rate kink at end of exhalation ahuman 12 361 03-29-2024, 06:50 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 10 399 03-29-2024, 12:29 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.