Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

What is PR Dreamstation trying to do?
What is PR Dreamstation trying to do?
When looking at data from my PR Dreamstation, I often see segments that look like I'm breathing normally, at not-max pressure, but the machine does a brief ramp-up before falling back.  Why is it doing that?  (See ~01:22 in these screenshots.)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: What is PR Dreamstation trying to do?
when your breathing is all smooth and boring the Dreamstation increases pressure to see if it can improve treatment when it finds it can't it drops the pressure again. Its one of those things the Philips algorithm does.
Post Reply Post Reply
I suspect it is responding to the two hypopnea that preceded the increase. Your machine is at max pressure most of the night and you have many clustered events, probably due to chin tucking. I recommend you try a soft cervical collar to correct chin tucking. It should result in a significant reduction in events. I and many other forum members have found it to make a big improvement. See the link below for information on sizing and use. An increase in min pressure to 6 (close to the median) will allow your machine to respond faster to increased pressure needs. You will also probably need to increase your max pressure but try the collar first. An increased pressure will not overcome the restriction resulting from chin tucking.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
A collar is worth a try...I'm still getting used to the machine, and if I set the high pressure too high, it wakes me up (or I become aware of it during one of those clusters) and I can't get back to sleep.  I've mostly been creeping the high pressure up, but not too fast because a full night at AHI < 10 is worth MUCH more to me right now than a couple hours at AHI < 5 (and 5 hours of insomnia!)
Post Reply Post Reply
Your gradual approach is by no means an unreasonable one...raising the upper pressure limit a few tenths of a cm at a time.  However, the confound alluded to by Melman is a doozy; you must get a grip on any mechanism that wants to restrict flow and to cause the machine to think you're getting into trouble.  If we can prevent any obvious mechanical hindrance to your airway, then what's left is going to have to respond to pressure variations or some other remedy.  In that respect, a collar might be the ticket, and for the few dollars in outlay it will be worth a try.

You have no night-time stuffiness, no allergies here and there?
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-08-2019, 11:59 AM)spacewrench Wrote: When looking at data from my PR Dreamstation, I often see segments that look like I'm breathing normally, at not-max pressure, but the machine does a brief ramp-up before falling back.  Why is it doing that?  (See ~01:22 in these screenshots.)

This is pretty interesting.  Your close-up of 01:24 is in fact free of events, and the two rises in pressure of 1.5 cm over 2-minutes each is a part of the Philips algorithm.  However if we step back to 12:59 we see a flow limitation followed by a cluster of hypopnea.  This is a signature for positional apnea from chin tucking.

I apologize for not following your story closer, but what is the reason for the very very low CPAP pressures of 5.0 to 6.5?  I would really rather see you at 7.0 to 9.0 if that is tolerable.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Eliminating the clusters will also reduce the pressure increases. That doesn't mean you won't need to increase the pressure but it's why I suggest trying the collar first.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

Post Reply Post Reply
(09-08-2019, 11:59 AM)spacewrench Wrote: When looking at data from my PR Dreamstation, I often see segments that look like I'm breathing normally, at not-max pressure, but the machine does a brief ramp-up before falling back.  Why is it doing that?  (See ~01:22 in these screenshots.)

The brief ramp up as you describe it is actually part of Phillips Respironics algorithm.  

Although your graph is very busy, the algorithm is programmed to raise the pressure approximately 1.5cm and back down every couple minutes to determine if a higher or better pressure is needed.  
Normally, these small increases in pressure are not felt.  It sort of looks like a sawtooth pattern.

Your pressure setting of 5 min to 6.5 max leaves no room for the machine to do its job.  
I’m all for using a narrow pressure range with Respironics machines, but in your case you need a higher minimum pressure.  You have way too many Hypopneas, Obstructives, Reras, and Flow Limitations.

It’s hard to say where your pressure should be just looking at that graph, but I would set the minimum pressure at 7cm and max pressure at 12cm.  Set the Flex setting to 1 or 2.  

Watch for a few days, and repost.  Then we will have a clearer idea of what is going on.

Also, using the soft cervical collar as Melman suggests will definitely help.  This is important as we’ve seen many folk helped by this.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
You also have quite a few flow limitations and RERAs. On your machine, these are best handled with pressure increases. But afte you try the collar.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had tried higher pressures previously (after a couple of improved nights) but found that if I woke up at all, I couldn't get back to sleep because it felt like my lungs were getting inflated (of course, they are getting inflated!).  Here's a terrible night at 7-11:

All the clusters while trying to go to sleep are me failing to switch over to automatic breathing.  I couldn't stop thinking about how to breathe. After a few days of that, I went back to really low pressures hoping to get some sleep, at least, and it has mostly worked.  I'm still worried about raising the high pressure, because once the machine wakes me up, that's all the sleep I get for that night.  I'll raise the high limit this week; maybe I can get to 9 or so.  Plus I'll have a collar by Tuesday, so maybe that will help.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dreamstation 1 to Dreamstation 2 - hardly any water use Lazagna 4 1,758 10-22-2022, 06:59 PM
Last Post: Tampa Jim
  [CPAP] Dreamstation 2 vs. Dreamstation 1 Pressure FOMO 2 1,563 09-18-2022, 07:59 PM
Last Post: FOMO
  [CPAP] Philips Dreamstation & Dreamstation Go Different AHI? Thedudefino 2 1,328 05-31-2021, 11:33 AM
Last Post: Thedudefino

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.