Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Cheyne-Stokes/Periodic Breathing?
Cheyne-Stokes/Periodic Breathing?
Im learning a great deal perusing the boards here and the info Im gleaning is fantastic! I have a question. I have been on APAP for three days now. Last nite was the first nite I managed to sleep all nite with the system on me. I loaded the data into Sleepy head and I saw several episodes of CSR. Total time on the bottom graph by pressures was 3.80 minutes at 10cm, which us my max pressure (6-10). CA, which I assume to be Centrals were zero. My AHI during th max pressure times was 10.44. My AHI for the nite was 5.71. Is this something to be concerned about. (Im a worrywart anyway)..
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Cheyne-Stokes/Periodic Breathing?
(12-12-2015, 07:25 PM)GTOdude Wrote: Im learning a great deal perusing the boards here and the info Im gleaning is fantastic! I have a question. I have been on APAP for three days now. Last nite was the first nite I managed to sleep all nite with the system on me. I loaded the data into Sleepy head and I saw several episodes of CSR. Total time on the bottom graph by pressures was 3.80 minutes at 10cm, which us my max pressure (6-10). CA, which I assume to be Centrals were zero. My AHI during th max pressure times was 10.44. My AHI for the nite was 5.71. Is this something to be concerned about. (Im a worrywart anyway)..

First, getting a full night's sleep on your third night with APAP is fantastic. I wouldn't worry about your slightly high AHI or the episodes you mention unless you're still that way after a month or so. Then it would be time to check your progress and perhaps adjust your settings. You are making a great start, don't worry about anything else for awhile.

Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
The "by pressure" chart was a bit of an experiment by the author of SleepyHead and I'm not sure it was ever finished properly. So while it can be interesting I wouldn't place too much reliance in it.

Cheyne Stokes breathing is associated with congestive heart failure. You are seeing a cardiologist regularly, so I assume this has already been investigated and/or ruled out? More likely, it's just a few minutes of irregular breathing which the machine has incorrectly flagged. So long as these are scattered events I wouldn't worry, but if they become frequent then perhaps best to get your doc to look at it.

Your AHI = 5.7 is OK but you should really get it below that. The aim to to get a good night's restful sleep. The AHI is one indicator that you've achieved that aim - with a 5.7 you're getting close but still have a way to go. Having said that, every night is different and it's trends over time which are important, not individual nightly results.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-12-2015, 08:01 PM)DeepBreathing Wrote: Cheyne Stokes breathing is associated with congestive heart failure. You are seeing a cardiologist regularly, so I assume this has already been investigated and/or ruled out? More likely, it's just a few minutes of irregular breathing which the machine has incorrectly flagged.

Hi GTOdude,

It is common that patients first starting in CPAP therapy will see some Central Apnea and/or Periodic Breathing which gradually disappears in a few weeks or months, as we adapt to breathing under pressure.

If your Central Apnea index was zero then the "CSR" which your machine flagged could not have been true Cheyne-Stokes Respiration.

The events flagged as "CSR" may have been a little Periodic Breathing, nothing to worry about at all unless these continue to keep your AHI above 5 for weeks or months AND are causing excessive daytime sleepiness or other symptoms. SleepyHead lumps PB under the category CSR, but these are different. PB does not include CA, and true CSR does.

Moreover, I think that "CPAP induced" CSR-like breathing pattern (which does include CA events) may be an example of CPAP-induced Central or Complex Sleep Apnea (if the average number of CA per hour of sleep is more than 5) but still would not indicate true CSR, because in true CSR the breathing pattern would occur on its own without being caused by CPAP therapy. CSR which is seen during a diagnostic sleep study while not being treated by CPAP would be true CSR.

In the Flow waveform, if you zoom in to look very closely at 1 or 2 minutes during what SH has flagged as "CSR" you would be able to see what SH was reacting to.

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Worried about periodic breathing / CA patterns Jorgo 46 1,167 7 hours ago
Last Post: Jorgo
  How bad is this really? CSA & Cheyne Stokes Little Olive 7 251 03-12-2024, 02:46 PM
Last Post: Little Olive
  CPAP not helping with sleep. Cheyne-Stokes or PB? BigBobulous 3 184 03-11-2024, 06:42 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Alternative Therapy to CPAP (Nasal Breathing) Wcwilson 1 152 03-07-2024, 04:02 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Nasal massage and exercises to help nose breathing sleepingbetterinFl 1 173 03-06-2024, 11:11 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  [Treatment] Using Bipap for UARS - can anyone help with erratic breathing and my settings? RagingBull 7 514 03-06-2024, 12:23 PM
Last Post: bertchintus
  [CPAP] Cheyne Stokes Respiration and Central Apnea Clusters Aldiorg 8 825 02-19-2024, 04:11 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.