Poll: As you are in bed, all hooked up, and waiting to fall asleep, what is your 'normal' breathing pattern?
Breathe, then Exhale, then Pause-and repeat.
Breathe, then Pause, then Exhale-then repeat.
Breathe, then Pause, then Exhale, then Pause (again)-then repeat.
Other - see post below
[Show Results]

What is Your Breathing Pattern?
TyroneShoes Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: Resmed S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: AirFit P10
Humidifier: Resmed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 10-14
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Undisclosed
RE: What is Your Breathing Pattern?
Yoga breathing exercises are probably helpful to all of us, but I would guess even more helpful to CPAP users, kind of like exercise. And it might be helpful if you want to be more in control of your breathing rather than conforming to how a robot machine thinks you should be doing it.
10-14-2014 08:44 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
Whitewabit Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed V9 VPAP Adapt S9 (36067), ASV mode
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Swift FX, AirFit P10, AirFit F10
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 5/4/9
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments:

(10-14-2014 08:02 AM)justMongo Wrote:  
(10-14-2014 07:17 AM)Peter_C Wrote:  
(10-14-2014 06:34 AM)justMongo Wrote:  + is inhale. And, - is exhale

So, if I am reading the above correctly? He is: inhale, pause, exhale-repeat?

Not much of a pause. Pretty much inhale, exhale, repeat.
We could do a Fourier analysis on the digital data!

The respiratory rate is somewhat variable.

if you consider the length of the total breath cycle the pause appears to be 20-25% of the 4-5 second cycle time so in that relationship it is of considerable length..
10-15-2014 10:20 AM
PollCat Offline
Apnea Board Polling Administrator
Monitors

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: ResMed AirFit P10
Humidifier: H5i Cleanable with ClimateLine
CPAP Pressure: 10 - 18
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: CPAP-ing since 1995; Type 2 Diabetes; Chronic Asthma; Gout

Sex: Male

This is an area I never took any notice of until this thread started. After monitoring what I do after I get in bed I've determined that I breathe normally, making sure there is air coming out of the vent port. But there are no pauses in the process, just inhale and exhale.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
10-15-2014 10:48 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
Peter_C Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: System One DS960HS
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Mirage Quattro "MED"
Humidifier: Attached
CPAP Pressure: Auto mode-script is:15/3/3
CPAP Software: EncoreBasic Other Software

Other Comments: Severe obstructive sleep apnea 1999/Just got an ASV machine

And that's what I've been wondering? I wasn't so much thinking about when we are actually asleep (though that matters a lot), I was mostly wondering what we do during that (hopefully) few minutes between being ready for sleep, and sleep taking us.

*I* inhale, exhale, pause-then repeat. This is what I do, am not thinking about it, and the pause is rather short. I've since starting this thread looked closely at my flow charts. My inhales seem short and brisk, my exhales seem longer and gradual, and then a slight small pause and the cycle repeats. I have no clue what is "normal", but it got me wondering, so here's the thread.

The question is more about your conscious breathing just before sleep takes you. And now I am curious if the pattern changes during sleep, or stays the same? On the flow graph you need to zoom in to the minute level to see what is actually happening.

*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional. My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
10-15-2014 04:14 PM
Whitewabit Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed V9 VPAP Adapt S9 (36067), ASV mode
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Swift FX, AirFit P10, AirFit F10
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 5/4/9
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments:

(10-15-2014 04:14 PM)Peter_C Wrote:  And that's what I've been wondering? I wasn't so much thinking about when we are actually asleep (though that matters a lot), I was mostly wondering what we do during that (hopefully) few minutes between being ready for sleep, and sleep taking us.

*I* inhale, exhale, pause-then repeat. This is what I do, am not thinking about it, and the pause is rather short. I've since starting this thread looked closely at my flow charts. My inhales seem short and brisk, my exhales seem longer and gradual, and then a slight small pause and the cycle repeats. I have no clue what is "normal", but it got me wondering, so here's the thread.

The question is more about your conscious breathing just before sleep takes you. And now I am curious if the pattern changes during sleep, or stays the same? On the flow graph you need to zoom in to the minute level to see what is actually happening.

I am a new user less then a month and have had my troubles with about everything. I wonder if when we put the mask on do we immediately conform to the breathing of our machine ?? When I first started it was like I was fighting against the machine when I was trying to breathe. It wanted to inhale when I was trying to exhale or that is what it at least seemed. My pressure was set to the pie measurements 4 and 20 , changed then to 4-3-8 . When I finally relaxed and breathed with the machine it was much better.

But not sure if I breath with the same cycle awake as I do when asleep .. and do we breath differently when we do different things awake how many breathing cycles do we each have??
10-15-2014 06:29 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
racprops Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: Respironics DS960HS
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Respironics FitLife FFM
Humidifier: Respironics
CPAP Pressure: ????
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments:

I was told that when we fall asleep our bodies switch from a awake operation to our not awake system and that there can be a pause when this happens.

I had a lot of trouble at first as my Sleep test system keep “seeing”this pause as an apnea and would jump the gun and push pressure on me waking me up just as I was dozing off.

This was told to me by my sleep Doctor…for the first month or two I had to use the ramp feature.

For what it is worth, it seemed like this might mean something to all of you.

Rich
11-02-2014 12:36 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Need opinions about breathing waveforms - REM sleep? awake? don't know? green wings 3 50 Today 07:25 PM
Last Post: robysue
  Classic example of Sleep-Wake-Junk breathing robysue 4 231 12-06-2016 09:51 PM
Last Post: richb
  Soft cervical collar: a tip for mouth breathing and chin tucking Visitor 44 3,679 12-06-2016 11:43 AM
Last Post: PaytonA
  Bite Guard for Mouth Breathing mcsheltie 11 508 11-29-2016 11:46 AM
Last Post: mcsheltie
  Mouth Breathing mcsheltie 31 1,064 11-15-2016 08:25 PM
Last Post: chill
  Not mouth breathing but air leaking between lips Roy289 20 677 11-11-2016 07:19 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Chinstrap doesn't prevent mouth breathing, how to solve? Snurkel 21 2,100 10-03-2016 05:03 PM
Last Post: Roy289