Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Poll: As you are in bed, all hooked up, and waiting to fall asleep, what is your 'normal' breathing pattern?
This poll is closed.
Breathe, then Exhale, then Pause-and repeat.
64.29%
9 64.29%
Breathe, then Pause, then Exhale-then repeat.
28.57%
4 28.57%
Breathe, then Pause, then Exhale, then Pause (again)-then repeat.
0%
0 0%
Other - see post below
7.14%
1 7.14%
Total 14 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

What is Your Breathing Pattern?
Question 
What is Your Breathing Pattern?
While I was laying in bed tonight trying to fall asleep (as you can see I gave up), I noticed, then thought about this for a while, and then it occurred to me that other folks may be different than I.

The question is; when you're in bed, mask on, minutes from falling asleep, how do you breathe?
Meaning, we all usually have three different states; inhale, exhale, and pause. Not counting random stuff like coughing, swallowing, etc...

So, do you:
  • Breathe, then exhale, then pause?
  • Breathe, then pause, then exhale?

I suppose someone could-breathe, then pause, then exhale, then pause again? If you do something else entirely, please choose 'Other' and tell us in a post?
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: What is Your Breathing Pattern?
I do not really notice a pause, but maybe if I do it would be after the exhale.
Post Reply Post Reply
How about inhale then exhale with no significant pause? (other than turn around itself.)
Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply
Mine is in; then out.

Typical pattern is a 1:2 ratio of IPAP time to EPAP time.
My respiratory rate averages 15 per minute. That's 4 seconds per cycle.
On average, I spend 1.33 seconds inhaling; and 2.67 seconds exhaling.
During periods of no obstruction, my inhalation flow pattern rises to a nice round peak and falls in the same manner.
Exhalation flow is more like a step function to negative flow with a exponential decay of negative flow before returning to inhalation.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I breathe between 12 and 4 times a minute according to what stage sleep I am in.

inhale between 1.28 - 1.66 seconds
exhale between 2.85 - 3.33 seconds

inhale - exhale - pause, inhale - exhale - pause, inhale - exhale - pause
Post Reply Post Reply
I wasn't so much thinking, what do we do during actual sleep, but rather what is your usual pattern as you lay there waiting for sleep to take you? Dunno why, but last night I just got to wondering if we all have the same basic pattern, or if we vary? It is my belief that whatever your usual pattern is, it's the same all the time unless you're thinking about it and forcing a change...

It's of no great import, nor do I imagine that one way is better/worse than another. I did notice that my lovely wife is different than I am, she is inhale, pause, exhale-repeat.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
When going to bed I put on my mask, and turn on the machine, at which point I breathe in, and then out, then I usually take a few decent in and out breaths. I try to avoid swallowing as much as possible because as soon as I do my ears clog, and then begins the in out to unclog them.

I find it quite interesting to learn that we exhale twice as long as we inhale as I thought my bipap saved me half the night exhaling but now I find out it it's even more. I never bothered to look and see what my flow chart says. But interesting to know none the less.
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
It seems like a pause after inhaling would oxygenate better than a pause after exhaling.

Slow inhaling and exhaling also has the advantage of more oxygen passing more receptors due to the venturi effect, than just air sitting motionless in your lungs.

In wakefulness I sometimes take a large breath; don't know why. It does seem to relieve stress, tho. And sometimes I take a lot of very shallow breaths in a row; again, don't know why. Sometimes this befuddles my CPAP. It also seems to think that clearing my throat or coughing is a snore.

One thing I know for sure, and that is if you spend too much time trying to figure all of this out, you may never get to sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
I asked the same question in the 70s when I was sitting on the window pane!
Post Reply Post Reply
My breathing pattern seems to be re modeling itself after being on Cpap than what it was before cpap. Im about two months into it.

Before I inhaled exhaled with very little pause almost as if I was panting for air slightly.

Now my inhales seems deeper exhale longer and there is a fairly long pause then inhale again. Almost as if I dont need to breathe as fast to get more air. Noticed it on my daily walks as well which left me breathless before dont wind me at all now.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Worried about periodic breathing / CA patterns Jorgo 44 1,085 50 minutes ago
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Alternative Therapy to CPAP (Nasal Breathing) Wcwilson 1 148 03-07-2024, 04:02 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Nasal massage and exercises to help nose breathing sleepingbetterinFl 1 170 03-06-2024, 11:11 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  [Treatment] Using Bipap for UARS - can anyone help with erratic breathing and my settings? RagingBull 7 510 03-06-2024, 12:23 PM
Last Post: bertchintus
  Oscar Data. No events flagged but weird flow rate pattern during REM Ynot 53 2,660 02-18-2024, 10:08 PM
Last Post: Ynot
  Nasal Breathing / Septoplasty questions Ptee8899 7 381 02-13-2024, 11:10 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Anything can be done for baby with breathing problems Ptee8899 3 221 02-11-2024, 11:30 PM
Last Post: eok361

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.