Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Poll: As you are in bed, all hooked up, and waiting to fall asleep, what is your 'normal' breathing pattern?
This poll is closed.
Breathe, then Exhale, then Pause-and repeat.
64.29%
9 64.29%
Breathe, then Pause, then Exhale-then repeat.
28.57%
4 28.57%
Breathe, then Pause, then Exhale, then Pause (again)-then repeat.
0%
0 0%
Other - see post below
7.14%
1 7.14%
Total 14 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

What is Your Breathing Pattern?
RE: What is Your Breathing Pattern?
Yoga breathing exercises are probably helpful to all of us, but I would guess even more helpful to CPAP users, kind of like exercise. And it might be helpful if you want to be more in control of your breathing rather than conforming to how a robot machine thinks you should be doing it.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-14-2014, 08:02 AM)justMongo Wrote:
(10-14-2014, 07:17 AM)Peter_C Wrote:
(10-14-2014, 06:34 AM)justMongo Wrote: + is inhale. And, - is exhale

So, if I am reading the above correctly? He is: inhale, pause, exhale-repeat?

Not much of a pause. Pretty much inhale, exhale, repeat.
We could do a Fourier analysis on the digital data!

The respiratory rate is somewhat variable.

if you consider the length of the total breath cycle the pause appears to be 20-25% of the 4-5 second cycle time so in that relationship it is of considerable length..

Post Reply Post Reply
This is an area I never took any notice of until this thread started. After monitoring what I do after I get in bed I've determined that I breathe normally, making sure there is air coming out of the vent port. But there are no pauses in the process, just inhale and exhale.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
And that's what I've been wondering? I wasn't so much thinking about when we are actually asleep (though that matters a lot), I was mostly wondering what we do during that (hopefully) few minutes between being ready for sleep, and sleep taking us.

*I* inhale, exhale, pause-then repeat. This is what I do, am not thinking about it, and the pause is rather short. I've since starting this thread looked closely at my flow charts. My inhales seem short and brisk, my exhales seem longer and gradual, and then a slight small pause and the cycle repeats. I have no clue what is "normal", but it got me wondering, so here's the thread.

The question is more about your conscious breathing just before sleep takes you. And now I am curious if the pattern changes during sleep, or stays the same? On the flow graph you need to zoom in to the minute level to see what is actually happening.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-15-2014, 04:14 PM)Peter_C Wrote: And that's what I've been wondering? I wasn't so much thinking about when we are actually asleep (though that matters a lot), I was mostly wondering what we do during that (hopefully) few minutes between being ready for sleep, and sleep taking us.

*I* inhale, exhale, pause-then repeat. This is what I do, am not thinking about it, and the pause is rather short. I've since starting this thread looked closely at my flow charts. My inhales seem short and brisk, my exhales seem longer and gradual, and then a slight small pause and the cycle repeats. I have no clue what is "normal", but it got me wondering, so here's the thread.

The question is more about your conscious breathing just before sleep takes you. And now I am curious if the pattern changes during sleep, or stays the same? On the flow graph you need to zoom in to the minute level to see what is actually happening.

I am a new user less then a month and have had my troubles with about everything. I wonder if when we put the mask on do we immediately conform to the breathing of our machine ?? When I first started it was like I was fighting against the machine when I was trying to breathe. It wanted to inhale when I was trying to exhale or that is what it at least seemed. My pressure was set to the pie measurements 4 and 20 , changed then to 4-3-8 . When I finally relaxed and breathed with the machine it was much better.

But not sure if I breath with the same cycle awake as I do when asleep .. and do we breath differently when we do different things awake how many breathing cycles do we each have??

Post Reply Post Reply
I was told that when we fall asleep our bodies switch from a awake operation to our not awake system and that there can be a pause when this happens.

I had a lot of trouble at first as my Sleep test system keep “seeing”this pause as an apnea and would jump the gun and push pressure on me waking me up just as I was dozing off.

This was told to me by my sleep Doctor…for the first month or two I had to use the ramp feature.

For what it is worth, it seemed like this might mean something to all of you.

Rich
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Worried about periodic breathing / CA patterns Jorgo 43 1,046 4 hours ago
Last Post: Jorgo
  Alternative Therapy to CPAP (Nasal Breathing) Wcwilson 1 146 03-07-2024, 04:02 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Nasal massage and exercises to help nose breathing sleepingbetterinFl 1 170 03-06-2024, 11:11 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  [Treatment] Using Bipap for UARS - can anyone help with erratic breathing and my settings? RagingBull 7 505 03-06-2024, 12:23 PM
Last Post: bertchintus
  Oscar Data. No events flagged but weird flow rate pattern during REM Ynot 53 2,660 02-18-2024, 10:08 PM
Last Post: Ynot
  Nasal Breathing / Septoplasty questions Ptee8899 7 381 02-13-2024, 11:10 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Anything can be done for baby with breathing problems Ptee8899 3 221 02-11-2024, 11:30 PM
Last Post: eok361

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.