Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Sleeping Position Is An Important Aspect Of APNEA
RE: Sleeping Position Is An Important Aspect Of APNEA
(09-13-2014, 11:00 AM)justMongo Wrote: Side sleeping works for me as far a fewer apnea events and lower average pressure.
I do not know if your topper and memory foam would work for me. I'm rather a heavy person.

I would be unable to sleep on my side for more than a few days or weeks if not using a mattress topper. Without a mattress topper my hips eventually get bruised or sore from the weight.

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
My biggest problem with the mattress topper I have is that it is much warmer to sleep on than a conventional mattress. I'll put up with that though since it makes side sleeping possible without the shoulder and arm pain. For that, I love it! It's a 2" conventional foam layer laminated to a 2" memory foam layer on top. Maybe I'll try turning it over...probably won't help.

I also find the foam pillows are hot to sleep on and long for my old feather pillow that I foolishly threw away. Gotta get me another.
Post Reply Post Reply
I wish I could sleep on my side but I can't. Sleeping on my back causes excessive snoring for me and all my numbers go up. I do fall asleep faster on my back. Its taken awhile but I am able to sleep on my stomach. Initially I would curl my hand under my chin to keep my head up some from the mattress and not cram the mask into one side of my face. The problem with that is that my hand would fall asleep and I would wake up with a cramp several times a night. At this point I sleep with a pillow just below my armpit raising my body up enough to sleep on my stomach, now my hand on the side I am facing can either splay to the side or curl up under my chin but I am not cramping since its the pillow thats providing just enough support. It probably sounds awkward but its working for me.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, OP, for giving ideas on switching to side sleeping from back sleeping. I've tried side sleeping so many times but just get huge discomfort everywhere (everywhere... bent, twisted & squished). Physically, the backside seems generally flat which works for a flat bed; whereas one's side seems the opposite. For me, it's like saying that my sleep apnea will be reduced by standing on my head. If I get one of foam toppers one day, I'll definitely be trying again on side sleeping.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-16-2014, 06:54 PM)WakeUpTime Wrote: Thanks, OP, for giving ideas on switching to side sleeping from back sleeping. I've tried side sleeping so many times but just get huge discomfort everywhere (everywhere... bent, twisted & squished). Physically, the backside seems generally flat which works for a flat bed; whereas one's side seems the opposite. For me, it's like saying that my sleep apnea will be reduced by standing on my head. If I get one of foam toppers one day, I'll definitely be trying again on side sleeping.

Hey Wake-up, how have you been? I haven't read you in awhile. How is everything going?
Post Reply Post Reply
Same thing here. I was averaging an over 2 ahi peaking at 10 when i got on my back. Sleeping with a backpack made it drop to 0.7. I could't stand the backpack for a long time so i got rid of it and the numbers went up again. But i may try this pillow position.

Thanks for the tip.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have been working on this problem as I too have bad sleep and high AHIs when I get flat on my back as well, check out my thread on this problem:

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...ack?page=2

Rich
Post Reply Post Reply
I have slept largely on my back for the 18 years I have done CPAP. The machine does the rest.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-14-2014, 02:38 PM)vsheline Wrote:
(09-13-2014, 11:00 AM)justMongo Wrote: Side sleeping works for me as far a fewer apnea events and lower average pressure.
I do not know if your topper and memory foam would work for me. I'm rather a heavy person.

I would be unable to sleep on my side for more than a few days or weeks if not using a mattress topper. Without a mattress topper my hips eventually get bruised or sore from the weight.

I was a stomach sleeper as a kid (apnea!! ) and transitioned to side with children - and left shoulder right hip pain pain pain. One thing that has happened for me since starting cpap is that i can sleep on either side without significant shoulder or hip pain... all hail cpap!!! :bow:
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 613 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 5 212 03-21-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,961 352,179 03-20-2024, 02:21 PM
Last Post: btreger
  Side sleeping and shoulder pain SCgargoyle 9 982 03-19-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: skcampbell2
  Frustrated as unable to get AHI's less than 5 and have difficulty sleeping. . rltarbu 21 823 03-19-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: rltarbu
  Fixed Sleeping Position the entire night? Unkikonki 7 206 03-15-2024, 07:57 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Still Only Sleeping 4-5 Hours Most Nights AustinSV 5 253 03-12-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: Plmnb

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.