Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

What is a Dreamstation BIPAP AVAPS?? Who needs one?
What is a Dreamstation BIPAP AVAPS?? Who needs one?
I found a good used Dreamstation BIPAP AVAPS...

I currently am on a Dreamstation BIPAP AutoSV.

What is the difference between the two??

I have complex Apnea with Centrals, obstructions and Hyponeas

Would the new system of Dreamstation BIPAP AVAPS treat me as good of better or make things worst??

I cannot seem to find out who needs such a machine.

Rich
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: What is a Dreamstation BIPAP AVAPS?? Who needs one?
AVAPS does not have the fast response of the ASV machine and is intended for different purposes. AVAPS is intended to maintain respiratory volume and rate in individuals with pulmonary diseases, COPD, thoracic neurological disorders, hypoventilation etc. AVAPS maintains a relatively high pressure support and changes more slowly than ASV across several breaths rather than on a breath by breath basis. For central and complex apnea you are specifically looking for ASV, the Philips AutoSV or Resmed Aircurve 10 ASV. AVAPS may keep you breathing, but I don't think you'd be happy with the results, and they would not compare to your current machine.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, I was kind of getting some idea of what it treats but not a clear idea as you provided.

Rich
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, AVAPS is not likely going to be a good choice unless you have COPD or other lung issues like I do. You'll be fine sticking with an ASV. A variant of AVAPS can be found as a mode on a ResMed ST-A in the CPAP class and then in their NIV ventilators. Respironics has AVAPS on a machine such as what you've found and others similar to ResMed. The AVAPS tends to be with the ventilator class not CPAP class.

No offense, but you don't want to need AVAPS. Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
New question, what is the ResMed version of a ASV machine??

Rich
Post Reply Post Reply
Resmed Aircurve 10 ASV. Generally preferred by members here due to using the Easybreathe™ wave form rather than square-wave pressure support, and a faster response on a breath by breath basis. Like many Resmed vs Philips comparisons, the Resmed generally records fewer hypopnea and is easier for new users to adapt to ASV. Read the Resmed Clinical Titration Guide sections on ASV https://www.resmed.com/us/dam/documents/...er_eng.pdf or request a copy of the Resmed Aircurve 10 ASV clinical manual. There are extensive description of the intention and operation of that machine.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks again, I have read those claims and as I have a couple of searches running in my area and IF I was to find one at a very good price I will consider buying it to try it, or IF like what happened when I tried a ResMed APAP which I for some reason could not get used to, I could resell to someone whom can use it.

Rich
Post Reply Post Reply
So are we allowed to list systems for sale here??

I found a "Dream Machine Travel Kit . BIPAP AVAPS with humidifier here is phoenix AZ for $400.00.

AS I am not going to buy it thought I would share this find with someone here whom needs one.

Rich
Post Reply Post Reply
It's fine to give a lead based on the description and source (i.e. Craigslist Phoenix) as long as you don't post an actual link.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
to clarify what SleepRider said which is correct.
You cannot use apnea board to facilitate a sale either as the buyer or seller.
For example I cannot say I have air-wings (they don't exist) sor sale and to PM me if interested. I can say I saw a good deal on amazon or Supplier #2 where I have no financial interest in the sale in the manner SleepRider described.

Why can't we make a direct sale? simple explanation is because CPAPs and masks are Class 2 medical devices in the US and thus it is illegal for us to do so.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Which biPAP? HalfAsleep 9 251 03-14-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  bipap Innisfree 2 421 12-12-2023, 07:00 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Help with bipap Al N 7 697 09-14-2023, 06:15 PM
Last Post: Al N
  please help my replacement Dreamstation is not working as a BiPAP squeak 13 991 07-09-2023, 09:12 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Fixed pressure BIPAP vrs Auto BIPAP (UARS) tugboatxd 0 689 03-29-2023, 04:13 PM
Last Post: tugboatxd
  Spetzal's therapy thread (Help needed with DreamStation BiPap) spetzal 62 2,758 12-16-2022, 11:51 AM
Last Post: spetzal
  ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto difference from DreamStation BiPap BrassCat 6 741 12-10-2022, 09:39 PM
Last Post: BrassCat

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.