Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

What is difference between Simplus BiPap FFM and CPAP FFM?
What is difference between Simplus BiPap FFM and CPAP FFM?
My wife is in ICU and do to a breathing issue had a breathing tube down her throat for a few days.  They now switched her to a BiPap.  She has never used a BiPap or cpap.  They are using what is labeled as a Simplus BiPap mask.  I'm wondering if there is a difference between that and a cpap mask.  Am especially interested as I can take it rather than have the hospital through it away.  This would give me a chance to see if I like it or not.  It looks very, very similar to the Apex Wizard 220 FFM that I use and like a lot with my S9.  It works great for me and I usually sleep on my side.

I had a special interest in the Simplus because someone on this forum some time ago mentioned that the Wizard looked a lot like the Simplus.

So, just want to compare.  Although, it would have to work real good for me, (if I can use that mask with my cpap) as I see it costs more than the Wizard, which online costs $65 and the cushion replacement is only $16.  Although, I got lucky recently and bought a new unopened one for $22 on ebay.

Bottom line is, can I use that BiPap mask with my cpap?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: What is difference between Simplus BiPap FFM and CPAP FFM?
I do not know the answer to your question.

I do have a F&P Simplus package with the manufacturer's label that reads, "F&P Simplus Full Face Mask - Small; For CPAP or bi-level ventilation."
Post Reply Post Reply
I can't think of anything that would limit a mask to bilevel use, provided it has standard 22 mm fittings. The mask is simply the interface, and the same masks are used for bilevel and fixed pressure CPAP. Your wife is on the BiPAP to provide some of the work of ventilation with low EPAP pressure and higher IPAP pressure, to ease the transition from respiratory support. Since the mask is hospital property, you need to ask if you can keep it. It is possible (but unlikely) that the hospital cleans and sterilizes this equipment for reuse.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
One thing to check is the built in leak (vent holes). cpap/bipap masks all have the vent holes. Since your wife was intubated, they may have placed her on non-invasive ventilation after removing the tube. Non-invasive ventilation use masks that do not have the built in leak(vents). You should not use a non-vented mask for cpap/bipap use.

p.s. there are whisper valves that would provide the leak.
Post Reply Post Reply
I looked over the F&P website. They don't have any other Simplus listed, just the one for consumers. It could be the nursing staff call it that to differentiate it on the forms or something.

However, make sure it is the same as the Simplus we all know and love. Check for vent holes like the guy above suggested.

And I hope your wife is okay.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I see this is actually what I have. Apparently this is something they sell in quantity to hospitals. I need to read through this when I have time but I assume I can use this with my S9.  I wonder what the difference is between this and the Simplus?

The package calls this a Bi-level cpap system hospital mask. It is vented with anit-asphyxiation valve.

https://www.fphcare.com/freemotion-rt040/

I did just try a Large tonight that was too big for my wife.  It was given to her by mistake.  It seems quite nice.  Very similar to the Apex Wizard 220.  

Comments?
Post Reply Post Reply
Looking at their website (I have a SimPlus), it shows that the FreeMotion has an under-the-chin seal. Very nice!

"Built in ports allow supplementary oxygen and pressure monitoring"

I can also see that the seal at the bridge of the nose looks different.

There is a video on their website page for this mask, titled "FreeMotion Face Masks Unique Features". Not sure if I'm allowed to link to it, but you may want to find it and give it a look-see. It looks like a really nice mask!

eta: Doh! Of course you've already provided the link. If you look at the bottom of that page, check out the user guide. It has some qualifiers there that are of interest. I'm going to find the user guide for the SimPlus and do a comparison. FreeMotion says it is single use only, for 7 days maximum and should only be used under supervision in a clinical setting. I'll be back when I find the SimPlus guide.

edit2: some of the things I noticed (and definitely look at these yourself and/or get advice from a professional): they consider FreeMotion to be single use, not to be disinfected; no food for 3 hours before using FreeMotion; FreeMotion requires minimum pressure of 3.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Aircurve 10 ST-A and Lumis 150 VPAP ST-A just a UK branding difference? SingleH 37 2,241 03-18-2024, 07:51 AM
Last Post: SingleH
  Which biPAP? HalfAsleep 9 254 03-14-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  are there pulse oximeter synced CPAP/Bipap/sleep study devices? bhavintu79 1 203 03-02-2024, 04:53 AM
Last Post: Gep232
  Difference between S-Mode and VAUTO mode - Aircurve MrIvanDrago 3 250 02-27-2024, 02:28 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question Difference between Vauto and S modes PeaceLoveAndPizza 9 1,061 02-20-2024, 09:27 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  CPAP to BiPAP... Korndog 22 1,184 02-19-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: Korndog
  bipap Innisfree 2 421 12-12-2023, 07:00 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.