Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

What is learned in a 'nap study"?
What is learned in a 'nap study"?
So what would a nap study show that a sleep study does not? I just know it is during the day. And what will this show?

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: What is learned in a 'nap study"?
I haven't heard of this before, but it does get more money out of their lab. ka-ching. A nap study of 90-120 minutes should do a sleep cycle and show any obvious problems and see if the current pressure settings are doing their job. What do they want to check?
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
I’ve not heard of this either, but my friend google has.

Google Nap Sleep Study

“The multiple sleep latency test (MSLT) tests for excessive daytime sleepiness by measuring how quickly you fall asleep in a quiet environment during the day. Also known as a daytime nap study, the MSLT is the standard tool used to diagnose narcolepsy and idiopathic hypersomnia.”
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-04-2018, 04:21 PM)OpalRose Wrote: I’ve not heard of this either, but my friend google has.

Google  Nap Sleep Study

“The multiple sleep latency test (MSLT) tests for excessive daytime sleepiness by measuring how quickly you fall asleep in a quiet environment during the day. Also known as a daytime nap study, the MSLT is the standard tool used to diagnose narcolepsy and idiopathic hypersomnia.”

Sounds like the opposite of a MWT (maintenance of wakefulness test).  An MWT tests your ability to stay awake in a darkened, quiet room.  It's an all day deal.  Every hour or two you lay down on a reclined bed, and the lights get turned down.  If you don't stay awake for the 20 min test period, you fail.

I did one and asked the tech if anyone ever failed.  He said he only saw two failures, both commercial truck drivers.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, I can fall asleep during the day in 10 minutes if I am sitting quietly. I now have to attend more meetings at work, and noticed that I will get sleepy, and one time jarged myself awake. that is not good, and don't want to start Snoring in a meeting. ( can be morning or afternoon) 

OK, it may be just another money grab. PErhaps I need to find a real doctor.
Post Reply Post Reply
No I didn't mean it was a money grab from you. It was a money grab from the facility, utilising their lab to its fullest use and increasing revenue. If you can use a room for 2 or possibly 3 people in a 24hr period, is more money than one person.
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-04-2018, 04:21 PM)OpalRose Wrote: I’ve not heard of this either, but my friend google has.

Google  Nap Sleep Study

That clears that up for me, the only one I had heard of was to see how long it took t fall asleep in a quiet room and to see how low your oxygen saturation levels got in a measured time.  Strange that it was a Narcolepsy doctor that mentioned it at a Sleep Apnea conference several years ago, in fact a long time ago.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
So, they will see that I can fall asleep in 10 minutes during the day. What will this show? Will this get some indication on what I need to do to NOT fall asleep? If they want me to do yet another sleep study and nap study, Is it worth it, or just a money grap, and it really will get no new data?
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-04-2018, 05:54 PM)oldfart59 Wrote: So, they will see that I can fall asleep in 10 minutes during the day. What will this show? Will this get some indication on what I need to do to NOT fall asleep? If they want me to do yet another sleep study and nap study, Is it worth it, or just a money grap, and it really will get no new data?

If you read the bolded insert above, it states that they are looking at narcolepsy and idiopathic hypersomnia. It can’t hurt to have the test...especially since you can’t stay awake during the day.

If a diagnosis can be made, then your doctor can discuss treatment options with you.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Your doctor likely ordered a nap test (MSLT) because they want to check for narcolepsy (my son's sleep doctor just ordered the same test). The MSLT is normally scheduled to follow an overnight sleep study. For the MSLT they will ask you to try to take 5 scheduled naps. To diagnose narcolepsy they need to see both short sleep latency and an early onset of REM sleep. Narcolepsy is not curable but it is treatable, so there is value in a diagnosis.

A couple of questions...
Have you ever experienced muscle weakness or a feeling of paralysis while experiencing strong emotions, such as laughter (catalepsy)?
Have you ever felt a feeling of muscle paralysis either before falling asleep or right after waking (sleep paralysis)?
Have you ever experienced dream like hallucinations before falling asleep or after waking up?
Not all narcoleptics would answer yes to these questions, but yes answers to any of these questions could  be a red flag.  

A couple more questions...
Is your sleep apnea considered treated?
Are you taking any medications that may impact your sleep?
My son's doctor suspected narcolepsy was a possibility but she did not order the MSLT until after his sleep apnea was deemed treated and he was off of all medications that could impact sleep. 

Good luck to you!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First night with new Bipap after sleep study and 37 AHI mostly CA PandaZA 89 1,637 04-23-2024, 07:59 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Diagnosis] Got sleep study results and I am quite fustrated ewarner64 10 281 04-22-2024, 01:16 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  My sleep study (starting out) sabletaurus 5 205 04-16-2024, 07:24 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  [Diagnosis] Second opinion on study is needed please Abdulfakih 17 414 04-04-2024, 08:42 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Do I not need a CPAP anymore? In-Lab Study Results brehski 6 254 04-03-2024, 12:38 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Home Sleep Study - Low AHI but significant desat ArcherNeedsSleep 68 6,356 04-02-2024, 04:13 PM
Last Post: ArcherNeedsSleep
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 412 03-27-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.