Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

What is learned in a 'nap study"?
RE: What is learned in a 'nap study"?
Sleep latency is the time it takes from when someone starts a clock to when you fall asleep.

I don't know what the average is, but if it's measured at too short a time it shows that you are more likely to fall asleep at the wheel or at other inappropriate times.

You are right that it won't tell you how to not fall asleep, but it does foag a problem.

My MWT worked the opposite, it measures if you are able to stay awake vs how quickly you fall asleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: What is learned in a 'nap study"?
(02-04-2018, 07:46 PM)ColoradoMom Wrote: Your doctor likely ordered a nap test (MSLT) because they want to check for narcolepsy (my son's sleep doctor just ordered the same test). The MSLT is normally scheduled to follow an overnight sleep study. For the MSLT they will ask you to try to take 5 scheduled naps. To diagnose narcolepsy they need to see both short sleep latency and an early onset of REM sleep. Narcolepsy is not curable but it is treatable, so there is value in a diagnosis.

A couple of questions...
Have you ever experienced muscle weakness or a feeling of paralysis while experiencing strong emotions, such as laughter (catalepsy)?
Have you ever felt a feeling of muscle paralysis either before falling asleep or right after waking (sleep paralysis)?
Have you ever experienced dream like hallucinations before falling asleep or after waking up?
Not all narcoleptics would answer yes to these questions, but yes answers to any of these questions could  be a red flag.  

A couple more questions...
Is your sleep apnea considered treated?
Are you taking any medications that may impact your sleep?
My son's doctor suspected narcolepsy was a possibility but she did not order the MSLT until after his sleep apnea was deemed treated and he was off of all medications that could impact sleep. 

Good luck to you!

I can say no to the first group of questions, my apnea is considered treated. I have no problems sleeping though the night ( most of the time). I am not on any meds - yet.

So I just got back from seeing another sleep doctor, he pulled up the last nap study I had and said I fell asleep within 10 minutes each time I went down for a 'nap'. He is going to try me on Ritalin, But I found my insurance does not cover it, Its expensive. Perhaps there is a generic version. I think I will just keep pinching myself to say awake, Hope I don't fall asleep while driving.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 217 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  [CPAP] Titration Study liebano 2 73 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 528 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 189 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  New sleep study after 17 years? Jim1952 2 117 03-21-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Jim1952
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 143 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto
  Split night sleep study Bwanajohn51 0 62 03-20-2024, 01:07 PM
Last Post: Bwanajohn51

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.