Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

What is the 'Ultimate Chin Strap'?
What is the 'Ultimate Chin Strap'?
Hey, for many years now I've been using a chin strap that I purchased online from the US (it's actually called the Ultimate Chin Strap) and it's lasted incredibly well and does a good job but it's not the perfect design, and it was very expensive (shipping to Oz was partly to blame for that). 

It uses velcro instead of elastic which means it can easily shift when turning in bed, and then just limply drops off your head. It also frays a lot which get's stuck in the velcro (along with your hair) so you're forever pulling material out of the velcro to make it stick again.

Having said all that, I've never found anything better which really surprises me. I imagine that air escaping from the mouth when using a nasal mask or pillows is a huge problem - I mean it wrecks the CPAP effect. I'm really stunned that none of the big names in CPAP equipment have come up with a really great chin/mouth strap.

Or have they... does anyone know of any great products that:
  • are reasonably priced,
  • are comfortable even in fairly hot climates,
  • hold your chin up and, most importantly, 
  • cover you mouth and prevent air escaping.

Would love to hear any suggestions.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: What is the 'Ultimate Chin Strap'?
I personally can't vouch for this, because I don't use a chinstrap, but this has been mentioned by a few members. Check Supplier #37 For the 'Knightsbridge DualBand Chin Strap'.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Search for chin strap on Ebay. You will find a lot of ads for good chin straps for under $10 including shipping. They don't cover your mouth, but I don't think they have to. With a little sewing, the chin strap could double as a mask strap.

I bought one, but I don't use it because it is too hot.
Post Reply Post Reply
basically a strap that has the best harness, support top and back of the head and a hole on the chin and keep in mind if you go to a full face mask the seal. My mask holds the chin up.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'd like to second the recommendation for the Knightsbridge Supplier #37. It is made of comfortable materials and looks like a crocheted cap. It uses a dual band that pulls upward, not back.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use a soft cervical collar - chin straps didn't work for me but this did.

It's a simple and basic design by a company called Surgipack. It has a simple velcro strap at the back and fits fully along your jaw line which is what you need. When it wears out (mine last at least six months) I simply replace it. You can make it last longer by washing it but I can't be bothered. Amcal have them. They come in three sizes and are wrapped in plastic so you can take it out of the the box to see if it fits. The size difference is neck length not circumference.

EDIT: While a chin strap can prevent mouth breathing it will not prevent chin tucking which compromises your airway. A soft cervical collar can do both.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How Are You Affected by Chin Tucking? BoxcarPete 5 596 03-08-2024, 04:03 PM
Last Post: DaveL
  Update on Stats After Constant Use of Knightsbridge Chin Strap cmpman1974 6 365 03-01-2024, 05:47 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  Life with Knightsbridge Dual Band Chin Strap cmpman1974 21 2,104 02-29-2024, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Columbiabill
  Chin cushion for mouth leaks AReedy 9 497 02-25-2024, 09:38 PM
Last Post: AReedy
Question Any tips to stop strap riding up on N30i mask BobbieM 37 6,539 02-08-2024, 06:25 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Chin Tucking as cause of apnea ejbpesca 111 6,172 02-06-2024, 12:23 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
Question Anyone with head strap padding they love? UKFan643 1 257 02-02-2024, 06:01 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.