Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

What is the alternative cleaning method for the Ozone cleaners/sanitizesers.
What is the alternative cleaning method for the Ozone cleaners/sanitizesers.
My wife has discovered that she has a physical aversion to the Ozone cleaners. She suffers from coughs, sinus blockage, etc..., after cleaning her CPAP system with one of the popular cleaner/sanitizers. 
My question is: what is a alternative device that we can use for the daily cleaning/sanitizing of the CPAP system.

Thanks in advance for any ideas or answers.

VegasPier
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: What is the alternative cleaning method for the Ozone cleaners/sanitizesers.
Mild soap and water. I use a small amount of Dawn mixed with water in a squirt bottle and squirt some in the bathroom sink with warm water in it. I run some hot water through the hose - when I think about it - not very often though.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: What is the alternative cleaning method for the Ozone cleaners/sanitizesers.
For regular cleaning just soap (Dawn) and water. I do a once a month disinfection with "Control III" disinfectant. You can find it at one of the listed CPAP suppliers or on Amazon. Just follow the directions carefully if you use it.
Jeff8356

MacBook Air (2017, Intel) | macOS Monterey (12.7) | OSCAR v1.5.1 | VM = Win10/Win11 |
How to Links:
Installing OSCAR on a Mac
Organizing your OSCAR charts
Attaching screenshots and files for the forum
OSCAR Help
OSCAR - The Guide

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
You don’t absolutely need one because regular cleaning with Dawn is perfectly fine. That said I was gifted a Lumin when I was first diagnosed. I use it once every 2 weeks or so. I’ve also discovered that it’ll disinfect anything that’ll fit in there so I’ve started disinfecting our phones, watches and anything else that’ll fit in

The most important thing is you absolutely must wash everything first before disinfecting! If you don’t, any bacteria that is on there will survive disinfection because it will be protected. This biggest misconception about these products is you don’t have to wash with soap and water.

If you don’t wash it first you WILL end up sick at some point.

Edit:
I forgot to mention that the Lumin is high intensity UV light. It will weaken silicone over time but you will still get a long life out of your masks
Download OSCAR <——— Click
Post Reply Post Reply
As others have stated, warm water and Dawn dish soap. I myself, prefer hot water, and I let the equipment soak for 15 min. or so, then I begin the swishing and scrubbing process. 

On my face mask and cushion, I use Clorox anti-bacterial wipes. For me, they work fine. No chemical reactions or such. I only use them on the mask and cushion about every other night or so. They don't seem to degrade the plastic or the silicone cushion. No lingering scent or smell either. 

Others may caution you against using such though.
Post Reply Post Reply
It isn't accepted across the board here at AB, but the wide and general consensus over time is that warm water and suds sloshed around inside the tube and mask suffices as a good cleaner.  Except for vomitus or phlegm coughed into the mask, there is a filter at the other end which keeps the hose very clean until the cushion.  A simple sudsy rinse is both inexpensive and effective for the very heavy majority of purposes related to cleanliness.

Sanitizing is a whole 'nuther thread.
Post Reply Post Reply
Resmed recommend soap and warm water.

https://www.resmed.com/au/en/consumer/su...-mask.html

https://www.sleepvantage.com.au/support/...pment.html
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cleaning F20/F30 QuietAir Elbow 70sSanO 13 5,781 04-12-2024, 12:10 PM
Last Post: Magoo905
  Cleaning the Airsense machine itself (not the mask, tube, chamber)? dharma2255 3 158 04-10-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: dharma2255
Question Are there alternative straps out there for masks that does not slide off? hejohoo 5 517 04-03-2024, 03:09 PM
Last Post: hejohoo
  VirtuClean CPAP Ozone Cleaner moondoggy 16 4,606 03-08-2024, 10:11 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Alternative Therapy to CPAP (Nasal Breathing) Wcwilson 1 199 03-07-2024, 04:02 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  [Equipment] ResMed Airtouch F20 Cushion cleaning with drool problems. Funkmonkey 2 232 03-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Funkmonkey
Money cleaning thread? TinyBubbles 19 7,904 02-27-2024, 10:57 AM
Last Post: Frankiboy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.