Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

What is the point of "Nasal Masks" ?
What is the point of "Nasal Masks" ?
I don't quite get the point of a nasal mask, so please help me out here. 
Everyone naturally uses both their mouths and their noses to breath in sleep or awake (why nature has equipped us with both breathing solutions ), so I don't understand why some people insist on using a nasal mask and then go taping their mouths so air can't escape .

I have tried nasal and the biggest problem with it is that as soon as I unintentionally open my mouth a bit, air starts to escape through nasal cavities and out of my mouth, making the nasal mask pointless because the machine registers each event as a "leak" (which it is) . 

This also explains why the mouth can fill up with air with a nasal mask and that's because when we sleep we can't consciously keep our nasal passage to our mouth closed at all times ( I guess it can happen with practice ) so air escapes through nasal cavity into the mouth and with the mouth all taped up, your cheeks start to fill with air and eventually you will swallow that air and it ends up in your guts and causes Aerophagia which happens when you swallow a lot of air, which ends up making you burp or pass wind frequently or it upsets your stomach.

So a face mask is the only natural solution in my opinion. Its easy to wear and you don't have to go to bed all taped up and bandaged looking like you just came out of a complicated surgery.
Personally I like the full face ones that come with a "frame". This way I don't have to deal with a "frontal tube" delivering air directly at moy mouth. A frame type full face (like a Resmed F30i or Respironics DW full face) is pleasant to wear because I don't feel the air but still, some people like the feeling of air from the CPAP hitting their mouths. I know my dog Jake likes that a lot because he loves sticking his head out the window at highway speeds. It makes him go into a trans:-)
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: What is the point of "Nasal Masks" ?
Many people feel claustrophobic in a full face mask and many people can sleep with their mouth closed all night.  The full face mask leaks more often because the more surface area you have to keep sealed the harder it is.  Nasal masks make sense for many people.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
I tried several full face masks & was unable to keep any of them from leaking & had a hard time sleeping with them. I now switch between the N30i & P30i; for me they work great.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have tried many FFMs and I cannot get a good seal on any of them.  Thus I've resorted to nasal masks or pillows in order to reduce the amount of surface that has to stay sealed throughout the night. This has been a major factor in what makes my CPAP journey successful.
Post Reply Post Reply
Actually, a healthier person, such as one that doesn't have restricted nasal passages, will breathe by way of nose only. I forget what the study was exactly about, but the idea was that it was found that nasal breathing promotes healthier attributes.

Pillows masks introduce the airflow directly to the nostrils, while nasal masks are closely behind. Full face introduces the airflow to your facial area, not directly to either nose or mouth.

I myself breathe via mouth and nose because of COPD obstructions. I need to have more inlet area, so I breathe through both frequently. But this isn't the normal healthier way.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
What works for some is an utter failure for others. Thank goodness and be thankful there is a large selection of masks to choose from.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, I come to find out that I benefit significantly from the right mask, which happens to be nasal. Low AHI, FL, centrals, no chin-tuck (OA clusters), and don't have to wear wide cervical collars that aggravate TMJ. These reasons makes it easier to go nasal.

For me, exploring various masks was definitely worthwhile.

If I had to tape my mouth, I would cut a small slit or get a battery backup just in case of power failure. I would be concerned about that.
Post Reply Post Reply
I was always a mouth breather until cpap. Since this was a wake up call for my health, after some research, I learned breathing through nose is the ticket (health wise) So I trained myself to breath
through the nose. Well worth the effort!
Post Reply Post Reply
The best mask for you is the one that works.

I do recommend tryin masks from the smallest, least intrusive Pillow masks to the largest the Full Face Masks. Others recommend the other order.
Post Reply Post Reply
I tried a number of different masks during my trial period. I started with a full face mask. At that point the machine was set to 4-20 cmH20, and the pressure was averaging 15-17 each night. I didn't like the FFM. It felt like it was actually pushing my mouth open. Next I tried an N20 nasal mask. As soon as I switched there was a noticeable drop in my average pressure, and it dropped again when I switched to pillows. That's not to say I haven't had any issues with the pillows. But it is definitely the right style for me.

-Neelix
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 326 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Custom-Fitted Masks? TonyBoBony 5 349 03-01-2024, 10:30 PM
Last Post: TonyBoBony
  Switched masks and adjustment period sleepingbetterinFl 1 221 01-21-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
Question Are there alternative straps out there for masks that does not slide off? hejohoo 4 412 01-20-2024, 11:51 PM
Last Post: paulag1955
Question [Equipment] Fullface or Nasal? Jose Castro 10 866 01-17-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Other masks to try? acordeon 5 496 01-01-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: Expat31
  [Equipment] 12 months of therapy. Tried several masks/nothing working Tiredkiwi 5 493 12-30-2023, 11:15 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.