Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

What is the quietest BiPAP machine?
RE: What is the quietest BiPAP machine?
For me, the noisewith my current is not a problem, I am sleeping well. Its the noise SWMBO hears that I am interested in in. So, if you measure anything I'd like the sound at the mask measured.
Post Reply Post Reply
Interesting, a difference even unit to unit. I wonder if that is just based on settings or if they actually vary unit to unit. I have the 760 that I am using and I can say I don't notice over the AC at all. With the AC off I can just barely hear it running. But that's just me.

I remember back in the day of dot matrix printers when they actually made noise boxes for them, I wonder if such a thing exists for CPAP, or if not is it something people might want? It would be an easy task to make one. The PAP Silencer TM PP lol.
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
If build the Silencer box, does the hose and mask need to be in there too?

My PRS1 960 sound level can vary breath to breath. I sometimes swear Casper is living inside my PAP.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-17-2014, 01:03 PM)bwexler Wrote: If build the Silencer box, does the hose and mask need to be in there too?

My PRS1 960 sound level can vary breath to breath. I sometimes swear Casper is living inside my PAP.

I would have just the unit in there. A silenced out for the hose and the same for an intake. Top opening for easy access to the humidifier. Maybe even a push button rod for the unit on off so you don't have to keep opening and closing it to turn it on and off.
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-17-2014, 01:03 PM)bwexler Wrote: If build the Silencer box, does the hose and mask need to be in there too?

It's going to be a little hard to use if the mask is inside the box.

Functionally, machine in the box. Hose comes out through some sort of opening. Mask goes on your face.

If you do something like put it in a drawer, if you stuff the hose and mask in the drawer when not in use, it might overheat if the machine gets turned on somehow in the drawer, since there's nowhere for the heat to go. If you leave the mask outside the box, it will vent the heated air.

It makes sense for the power supply to be outside the box for heat, but it could work inside. Make sure to leave some air space for cooling around the power supply if you put it inside the box and there's some space for heat to get out of the box even when the machine is off if you put the power supply in the box. The power cord has to have a way outside the box.

Leave some air space on all sides of the CPAP machine as well for cooling. Something soft or rubbery under the machine can help reduce problems of the noise being resonated by the table. Don't put something too shaggy like deep pile carpet because heat might build up under the unit. Some people use something like a mouse pad.

The first time you put the box together, plug it in and check for heat a few times the first hour or two, both with and without the machine running. Check the power supply for heat if it's in the box.

The box could be open on the top or on the side away from you, if the sound deadening works OK. You could also have something that's just a wall between you and the CPAP. Some sort of fuzzy material will deaden the sound better.

Obviously, the design of the enclosure affects access to the controls. Autostart/stop may be of some use.

You might want to consider what would happen if there's a water leak from the humidifier. Some sort of holes in the bottom of the box might be a good idea, but realistically, a humidifier tank full of water probably won't accumulate deep enough to drown the machine.

I'd suggest to kludge something together quick and easy before putting something elaborate together to check on the sound deadening effect. Once you figure that out, you can look at a long term pretty solution.

Consider anchoring the box down somehow such that it becomes a safety device to keep you from knocking or pulling the machine over, and that you can't knock it over, box and all.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a System One Bipap Auto Bi-Flex. I don't even notice irbid pn. However if my mask leaks just a little, I wake up. (I hate that hissing sound of a leak.)
My Bipap is like white noise.
Kimberly from HonoluluSleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
I have been told to NEVER, EVER put the power supply near the CPAP machine. When I got my first Resmed machine, I went through 3 or 4 of them because I had my power supply next to the machine. I was told by the DME not to put the power supply next to the machine (Resmed told the DME there are 4 things not to do....of which I cannot remember them now but I know I don't do them now). Once I put the power supply on the floor, all my problems with the machine stopped.

As far as noise of my machine goes, I once had a PR but I don't know if it was noisy or not (too long ago and I never adjusted to that machine and it is sitting in my closet) and I have used the Resmed Elite, Resmed S9 Auto and now Resmed BIPAP and none of them have been noisy. I need it quiet when I sleep and I don't have any issues with my current machine or any of the past Resmeds
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Which biPAP? HalfAsleep 9 252 03-14-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  bipap Innisfree 2 421 12-12-2023, 07:00 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 283 262,154 11-10-2023, 10:24 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Got Bipap instead of prescribed ResMed Autoset machine. Please help me get going. marvin2023 2 548 10-10-2023, 07:26 PM
Last Post: marvin2023
Sad [Treatment] Need help/advise after changing BiPAP Machine dnar82 6 712 09-29-2023, 06:59 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Can I use Bipap Machine for Cpap Julia63 8 688 09-21-2023, 08:46 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Help with bipap Al N 7 697 09-14-2023, 06:15 PM
Last Post: Al N

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.