Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

What is this CPAP feature called?
What is this CPAP feature called?
Hi All, my Resmed Aircurve S10 came defective and I'm getting a new one. Currenting using my dads old Dreamstation.

Both seemed to have this feature that I find annoying - when I am nearing sleep, and my breathing slows, the machine seems to think I am having an event and shoots a little blast of air into my nose. This wakes me up and I struggle to fall asleep. Is there a way to turn this feature off? Is it even supposed to exist?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: What is this CPAP feature called?
On the Philips Dreamstation, a single "pulse" of air about 1.5 cm above the current pressure is used to probe whether the airway is open or obstructed. This is an important part of the machine's apnea detection programming and determines if pressure should be raised for an obstructive event, or no change for central event..

On the Resmed the feature is a 1-cm pulse at 4 times per second call Forced Oscillation Technique (FOT). I performs the same function. This function is not selectable in either machine.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Once again, thanks again for this incredibly valuable information. I scoured the web and you had the reply in less than 5 minutes!!

I told the CPAP store the Resmed model was defective - I am now wondering if the "inconsistent pressure buffering" I complained about was the FOT....

Wondering if this is something the ramp would fix. But I am such a shallow breather, that could be the issue too.. Will have to try ramp and maybe give a full face mask a try. See if either ward off the feature long enough to fall asleep. Thanks again!
Post Reply Post Reply
What seemed defective about the VAuto? I think it's unlikely you were feeling the FOT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My medical provider called me, they want to schedule my titration study. Should I go? Phil487 8 1,068 07-06-2023, 01:18 PM
Last Post: RNeil
  New product to help prevent mask leaks called V-Com Sleepless in Dewberry 15 2,423 05-13-2023, 05:40 PM
Last Post: logart89
  Reverse ramp feature? McPhearson99 9 972 01-01-2023, 04:02 AM
Last Post: SevereApnea
  Why the “hate” on the ramp feature? Kmar13 19 3,682 03-12-2022, 01:50 PM
Last Post: martyedb
  Are people with Sleep Apnea, called "Apneacs"? S. Manz 9 1,227 08-23-2021, 07:18 PM
Last Post: DaveL
  Aircurve 10 Change the modem number called Feedsack 3 1,525 03-26-2020, 10:18 AM
Last Post: geauxdbl
  ResMed AirSense 10 [how to turn auto/on auto/off feature off?] IsrvChrist 3 19,514 05-03-2019, 08:25 PM
Last Post: Big Guy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.